Replies

• I've been saying that for years

• Agreed!!!

• I've been to modern L.A. once -- about five years ago, and that was enough.

That states doesn't include dozens of trips from Yuma, AZ, in the 80s for illegal street motorcycle racing in the East Valley or on Mulholland Drive.

Nor does it include a half-dozen visits in the 90s for Korean Armistice meetings when the South Koreans wanted to not meet in DC.

L.A. was fun in those pre-modrrn times. 

Riding fast a hot motorcycle on illegally closed city streets or dining in top of the line restaurants with international characters were both fun.

That last trip to modern L.A. was a disaster. I was interviewing for a top position with an Asian development NGO, contracted to USAID. After meeting the country management team I wasn't much interested in working with them & they absolutely weren't interested in having me on their team: I was too conservative & militaristic for their socially oriented program.

But worse, one of the other candidates, a very intelligent & super-qualified woman -- White -- was robbed, beaten & raped almost to death just outside the hotel we candidates stayed in.

EMTs & LAPD showed up, did their respective things then the police left...I went home but about two weeks later the woman called from her home in Massachusetts...on orders from the California AG's office, the LAPD dropped its investigation into the crime.

The lady was devastated.

Turns out the NGO didn't want to have its name involved & used its power to get the whole thing dropped.

Such a stupid pretext to not investigate and, or prosecute vicious criminals.

Bottom line: modern L.A. is not modern at all. ... It is a feudal fiefdom run by a small clique of influencers who care nothing for the serfs --: resident or visitor.

Even if I were young enough to street race (I'm not) I wouldn't consider any place on the Left Coast, particularly L.A., for a run.

• How sad is that!!!  Can she sue?  I would!!!

• This is a sad, sad commentary, ...but the truth.  God Bless the LAPD....they can only do so much.  The politicians created this society of leniency and no accountability for crime. We the law abiding citizens are the ones imprisoned and afraid to go out.  We have lost our liberty.  At least we may reduce our "carbon footprint" by staying at home cowering from Covid and crime.. maybe that's exactly what they want?

This reply was deleted.