Is billionaire and Republican front runner Donald J. Trump a conservative, or not?

Fox News’ Jesse Watters has made the best possible case that he is.

“Come on, let’s talk about his conservative principles on the three core issues Donald Trump is about; immigration, national security and jobs. He is the most conservative guy out there and he is setting the agenda,” Watters said on Friday, responding to National Review‘s anti-Trump manifesto. He could have added a few others, like guns.

But that’s not quite convincing enough for many conservatives. Trump’s vehemence about his views should not, and does not, obscure the fact that they are, for the most part, very new.

This is a man, after all, who criticized 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney for using the term “self-deportation” because it was “mean-spirited.” That was, for those keeping track, one election ago.

Now Trump wants all Muslims barred. (Ahem.)

True, Trump has been willing to sacrifice his own brand for the sake of his newly conservative posture–a sign that he is serious.

But let us stipulate, for argument’s sake, that Trump has a “mixed record on conservatism,” as my colleague Ben Shapiro put it rather diplomatically.

There are many conservatives who still support him wholeheartedly, and there is a real conservative case for Trump. And I say this as an observer who has been skeptical of Trump from the start.

The Buckley rule. William F. Buckley, Jr., whom Trump cites to defend “New York values,” urged conservatives to support the most conservative candidate who can win. And Trump may be the only one, in an election that will decide the Supreme Court’s future.

Whatever the head-to-head polls say on any given day, unless she is indicted, Hillary Clinton is likely to win this year. She has the Electoral College in her favor, and the media on her side.

Only Trump has shown the daring necessary to challenge Clinton’s built-in advantages.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), who in theory is the most “electable” Republican in the field, for example, declined to target Clinton over her role in her husband’s scandals. Trump, in contrast, released an ad featuring not only Monica Lewinsky, but also Anthony Weiner. He claims credit for Hillary’s slump in the polls against Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), and he is partly right.

Other candidates–Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, for one–looked amazing on paper but failed to connect with voters in practice. Cruz, Trump’s closest rival, may yet win Iowa, and has the ability to contest every primary, but has renewed doubts about his ability to win a general election after his “New York values” attack.

Trump, meanwhile, has re-discovered the “Reagan Democrats,” the Holy Grail of Republican politics. He may be the only hope.

The consequentialist case. Trump’s value to conservatism is not what he believes, but what his election would do, regardless of his own policies.

For one thing, as I have argued before, the fact that there is such strong conservative opposition to Trump, as well as a fervent desire among establishment Republicans to be seen opposing him (even if they do say they prefer him to Cruz), means that if he won, Congress might finally stand up to the executive branch.

That is why the possible excesses of a Trump presidency are less fearsome than many think. Much of what he says he wants to do may be unwise (e.g. 45% tariffs on China), or unconstitutional (e.g. broad surveillance of mosques). But Trump will enjoy less deference from a Republican Congress than Obama has, and will have no help at all from the mainstream media. That should please constitutional conservatives who want to restore the balance of powers.

Moreover, just by winning the nomination, Trump will have advanced the conservative cause. While he may have held left-wing views in the past, Trump has largely been running to the right, at least in the primary, affirming the power of the conservative base and conservative principles in an election cycle where the original favorite began by promising to ignore them. A movement that rewards converts even more than stalwarts is well-disposed to expand.

Even if he does not win, a Trump loss would be less damaging to the conservative cause than a loss by any other. If an”establishment” candidate wins the primary, but loses to Clinton, the GOP’s conservative base will give up hope. If a conservative, like Cruz, loses in the general, the establishment will start the purge it has been itching to launch.

But a Trump loss would likely be seen as a once-off, from which both conservatives and the GOP might rebuild.

The importance of victory. But enough about losing. A Trump win would have a galvanizing effect on American politics and the American public, much as Andrew Jackson’s win did in 1828, restoring a sense that voters, and not Washington elites, rule.

Many conservatives–even at the National Review–support him precisely because he is determined to shake up a system in which the status quo is not guided by conservative values but cronyism.

Conservatism is pessimistic about human nature, but optimistic about life. The radical left depends on hopelessness, while conservatism thrives on happiness. Barack Obama’s victory in 2008 was, in a sense, the last achievement of his failed presidency, which still depends on casting America as a nation in crisis.

A Trump win would not, by itself, “make America great again.” but it would urge Americans to believe that we still have the answers within.

Source: http://www.teaparty.org/conservative-case-donald-trump-140937/

Views: 9040

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Incompetent? You must have read Klein's book, The Amateur! If you think Mr. Soebarkah, otherwise fraudulently known as Obama, EVER had any intention of Enforcing, Defending, Protecting or Preserving the United States of America, as he took an oath to do, let me sell you MY Brooklyn Bridge. I'll even let you put toll booths at each end!

The man we CALL Obama was shoved into OUR White House as a TROJAN HORSE to get inside the gates and destroy us from within. He NEVER intended to do anything but convert the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave into a Muslim dominated Communist Dictatorship. And while he may have made a few mistakes, he pretty well has followed the script and has SUCCEEDED far more completely than anyone would ever have thought that ANYONE could. So the statement that, "No one can do any worse of a job than the incompetent communist fool we have in the Rainbow House RIGHT NOW !" is sincere on the part of Terry W., I'm sure, but it is also totally mistaken.

Mr. Soebarkah, given Indonesian citizenship by his step-father to be Muslim trained in Jakarta, Indonesia, visited additional training in Communist Cuba and Muslim Pakistan when both were prohibited to U. S. Citizens, received Foreign Student Financial Aid to attend College in the U. S., active member of an elite black homosexual club in Chicago, backed by big money including MoveOn and George Soros, and is probably giving those folks a wonderfully GOOD performance. In that, he is about as far from incompetent as you could get. He just never wanted to keep the United States the great nation it has been for over 200 years. He has almost got things to the place that if he can just confiscate everyone's gun that is not in agreement with him, he can find a way to create a National Emergency, Martial Law, No More free elections and Shari Law replacing the Constitution. Seems to me he has almost succeeded in destroying the United States.

Oh, for that good old 1776 Boston Tea Party!

Samuel...interesting comments that mirror my own thoughts.

yeah, so was Teddy Roosevelt.  You know, speak softly but carry a big stick.  Sound like a Welshman was a shillelagh.

I only know that Donald Trump sent his son Eric Trump to the conservative Hill School in Pottstown, PA. and most hard working Millionaires are conservative. But what we really need is a Great Cheer Leader for America and that is why Donald Trump will make America Great Again! 

President Reagan and a President Trump gave/will give the 'Middle Class' of the USA, Hope!  Hope that the American Dream is still Well and Alive!  Individual Choice does make a deference!  Hope, that our opinions are heard and perhaps happen for the Good of All, not just the Few!  "The Few may have all the Riches in the USA, but that does not mean they own the USA!  With persona's like Mr Trump or President Reagan, We The People still run the Governments of America and protector's of the USA Constitution along with Individual States Constitutions! Is he a Conservative, don't know, just believe he is a 'Leader' and that is what is missing in today's USA!  I've believe the USA, is turning it's back on the Greatest Leader of All, the Great Creator of All, regardless what name the 'Creator' is named! "A Nation without Trust, will always be in Conflict."  My opinion!  2016

Not merely a leader, but someone who wants to lead America to be better for Americans.

Trump lacks a credibility connection between his campaign motto "Make America Great Again!" and how he is perceived by many of us...as a willing dupe to serve the WWIII powers of hidden government.

All different types run for the Presidency. Few speak truth to power that will make us Great Again:  http://teapartyorg.ning.com/xn/detail/4301673:Comment:4144903

He might be perceived that way by Liberals or by Conservatives with an agenda... being a supporter of a different candidate, either a Liberal or a different Conservative.

I truly believe Trump is mad as Hell at what's been going on for 7+ years, Communist Democrats destroying America AGAIN.   I am happy that someone "gets it" and actually wants to reverse the dangerous path that the Democrats have taken us down, sprinkled with rose petals by our worthless elected Republicans.    

TRUMP 2016

Agreed!

Agreed !

Agreed!!

My brother lived in Pottstown, PA years ago, what a beautiful place.

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

ALERT ALERT

Obama Lies Again: – Ignores That The Year After Signing The Stimulus More Than (4) Million Jobs Were Lost

Former President Obama, the only President in US history who had his FBI and other Intel agencies spy on the opposition party candidate, claims that he created the great economy that Americans are enjoying today. The only thing Obama created was debt and massive job losses with his horrible economic recovery.

Yesterday the former President tweeted an effort to take credit for President Trump’s successful economy:

Joe Hoft@joehoft

Of course another @BarackObama lie. He can’t open his mouth without lying. 11 years ago the US lost (4.3) million jobs over the next 12 months. Horrible liar. https://twitter.com/barackobama/status/1229432034650722304 

Barack Obama  @BarackObama

Eleven years ago today, near the bottom of the worst recession in generations, I signed the Recovery Act, paving the way for more than a decade of economic growth and the longest streak of job creation in American history.

President Obama’s policies were a disgrace and a failure. He doubled the national debt in spite of zero interest rates from the Fed. His recovery was the worst in US history.

Also, Obama’s assertion is just plain false. The ‘Stimulus’ was passed in February 2009 right after Obama took over the Presidency. He promised to not pass any bills for at least a week to allow for the bills to be read by the people but lied as soon as he was sworn in. The Stimulus was hundreds and hundreds of pages of government handouts to Democrat districts and it was close to $1 million. This was not what America needed and it led to the Tea Party.

Far-left Wikipedia has this to say about the Stimulus:

Note that in his infinite wisdom, NYT economist Paul Krugman is credited with arguing that “the stimulus was far smaller than the economic crisis warranted”. (He also said the markets would crash and burn if President Trump was elected President.)

The data shows that the 12 months after Obama’s stimulus, the US lost 4.3 million jobs:

In Obama’s first three years he netted a loss of 1.5 million jobs compared to President Trump who has added more than 6.7 million jobs.

When it comes to the economy, the billionaire schools the community organizer every time.

Tucker: Bloomberg is trying to buy the election

© 2020   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service