ADMIN

Teachers union: 'Scream bloody murder' if schools reopen against ...

The president of the American Federation of Teachers warned Wednesday that strikes due to unsafe working conditions in schools were possible in Texas, Florida and Arizona — all states with high coronavirus infection rates.

“If people die while they are educating kids, you eviscerate any credibility that you would have going forward about whether or not a school is safe,” Randi Weingarten told POLITICO.

Earlier this month the American Federation of Teachers, which represents over 1.7 million educators, adopted a resolution which demands the only schools that should reopen for in-person instruction should be in places where the infection rate of COVID-19 is below 5 percent.

read more:

https://nypost.com/2020/07/30/teacher-strikes-probable-in-texas-arizona-and-florida/

You need to be a member of Command Center to add comments!

Join Command Center

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I got in trouble on this site when I talked about the strong police union. The problem is this. Unless there are fundamental changes in this country and the left is eliminated, if we support the police union the left commies want things like the teacher unions and we don't have much to oppose them since we support a union we think is worthwhile. It's a tit for tat. This is how stuff works in our system. Note that the only unions that still have any clout (like the teacher and police unions) are the ones going after public money that is funded by taxpayers. As a taxpayer I am not so happy about that......

• As a retiree of the public school teaching, I believe that as long as NEA was in charge of the local union, the result was that teachers' concerns were subordinate to the interest of the DNC "local branch" run by national political operatives of the DNC.  Parents have been gradually removed from the public education mix of teaching children just as much as patriotism and piety. DNC politics is the aspect of teacher unionism that is responsible as much as anything for teacher salaries and other "personal" improvements superseding broader district education improvements.  Trust between teachers and administrators will never improve as long as ideology is the driving force of change in the public schools.  Parents must come first!  The schools must serve the parents!   "The tail has been wagging the dog" for 50 years!! The NEA is responsible for the horrible intrusion of Planned Parenthood into the lives of children without the consent of parents!!  The cancer must be treated NOW!

• We have been paying full salaries for teachers since the start of Covid. My property taxes should have been reduced by 50% the cost of education in my town. If they strike and still expect to be paid full salary I will strike on my property taxes. Even federal workers are being paid, when I asked an IRS employee on the phone this question they refused to answer while everyone else(non fed and state workers) had to go on unemployment.

• I hope that those that are getting this money is saving some for taxes.. Thanks to reagan unemployement checks are subject to taxes..  & in AZ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if you go on strike,,,, you can't draw unemployement ins.................................... Actually you're still employeed 

• OK fine so send your child to a catholic school or charter school.   They are blackmailing people  and if they want to strike fine let em but do not pay them for not working. 

• No, send your child to a Christian school that teaches Abeka curriculum!!

• Time to abloish the teachers union. They are working on the taxpayers dime and not the private sector.

This reply was deleted.