ADMIN

nbc Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

Americans don’t always fear the things we should.

This summer, my dad visited us every week in the Pacific Northwest to play with the grandkids, and every week I could predict what his complaints would be: The record-breaking heat in the area was aggravating him, as was the chronic pain in his back — a deep ache still lingering from a major car accident two years ago. The common cause in these events was not lost on me.

The threat car emissions pose to the environment gets some attention. But what we Americans are still in total collective denial about is how lethal our car dependency already is. Every year, nearly 40,000 people die in crashes, and at least another 3.3 million are seriously injured. Cars put us in clear, imminent danger every day, especially the most vulnerable and marginalized: Motor vehicle traffic is a leading cause of death for children, well ahead of firearms or drownings. Among adults, Black and brown people are more likely to die or be injured by cars than white people are.

read more:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/car-accidents-cause-death-injury-trauma-why-do-we-shrug-ncna1282193?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

You need to be a member of Command Center to add comments!

Join Command Center

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The reason people die in crashes is because someone somewhere refused to drive defensively. It is not because an inanimate object found life all on its own. Is there no end to stupidity?

• Pure BS

• HOGWASH...

This reply was deleted.