ADMIN

Predictable History, Unpredictable Past: Sheila Jackson-Lee Thinks ...

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) on Wednesday called for the passage of her bill to study slave reparations, arguing that it's "the American government's responsibility to pay her debt," regardless of how many Americans today do not have slaveowners in their family history.

The Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act, which has 131 Democratic co-sponsors in the House, would establish a committee to "examine slavery and discrimination in the colonies and the United States from 1619 to the present and recommend appropriate remedies."

Jackson Lee connected her bill to the death of George Floyd, who died May 25 in the custody of Minneapolis police. His death has sparked weeks of nationwide protests calling for an end to police brutality toward Black Americans.

"The American government still owes a debt," Jackson Lee said at a press conference with other members of the Congressional Black Caucus. "The Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act is the answer to the original sin. It is, in fact, a restorative and repair approach to the extreme disparities that rendered and exhibited the horrors of the killing and the murder of my former constituent, George Floyd."

read more:

https://justthenews.com/government/congress/congresswoman-reparations-its-governments-responsibility-pay-her-debt-slavery

You need to be a member of Command Center to add comments!

Join Command Center

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Reparations are unconstitutional. 

• is she kidding me? she need to have a surgery on her brain.

• My ancestors were not here during slavery.  I am sick of the bulls**t coming from people like her.  Even if they were here I am not resposible for their enslavement and consequently I don't appreciate being hit up to pay this so called debt to black people.  People alive today had nothing to do with slavery.  Get real!  This kind of nonsense is what ticks off most Americans.

• The US Constitution Article 3, Section 3, Clause 2, establishes the legal precept that no one may be held to ancestral penalties or liable for crimes they did not commit... Penalties extending to Corruption of Blood are unconstitutional.  It was once the Kings prerogative too punish the immediate offender and all his kin... in the current generation and into the future, thru a legal precept known as 'Corruption of Blood'... These penalties applied to all kinsmen of the offender until remitted by the Crown.  Reparations for the conduct of one's ancestors' is 'Corruption of Blood' and is not Constitutional on its face... PERIOD.

There can be no penalty extending to 'corruption of blood' or forfeiture beyond the life of the convicted... since no one was convicted of slavery and corruption of blood is unconstitutional... Why are we discussing forfeitures of wealth from the current generation as a penalty ... thru the 'corruption of blood'.  Reparations extending beyond the generation CONVICTED of a crime requiring forfeitures or reparations are unconstitutional.

It is time to EXPEL members of Congress who knowingly and deliberately abuse their offices to create strife and civil harm to our nation's institutions and culture...  Rep. Shiela Jackson Lee knows the law and understands that 'corruption of blood' by forfeiture of wealth in the form of reparations for crimes of one's ancestors is unconstitutional.  She needs to be expelled.

• Thanks for the info as I was not aware of it.

• why doesn't the Democrats follow this rule it's in the constitution that's tell me something we elect people who doesn't follow the constitution.

• Most Democrats and many Republicans haven't a clue on what the Constitution states or permits... many careless and see the Constitution as outmoded and needing to be replaced. Others, simply ignore all existing laws and believe that the law should be subject to the arbitrary will of the current popular or activist group getting the most attention.  Very few of the members of government, including the Justices, are pro-Constitution... they all have their favorite 'exceptions' to Constitutional law... as it serves their purposes.

• you can say that again

• ADMIN

LOL..Jeff. The Democrats do not even know what the Constitution is...

• isn't that the truth

This reply was deleted.