ADMIN

joe biden | Playing the Devil's Advocate

As the November elections near, many Democratic senators are becoming increasingly vocal about employing the “nuclear option,” a simple majority overrule, to remove the filibuster. According to The Hill, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) began to recirculate discussions with his Democrat colleagues about abolishing the filibuster as Joe Biden’s poll numbers rose. 

“I am talking with everyone in the caucus about how to make the Senate work and restore it as a legislative body,” he said.

Merkley’s discussions were welcomed by many fellow Democrats, as well as some who previously claimed to be wary of removing the filibuster.

“I just heard they started talking and I’m interested in listening to anything because the place isn’t working,” said Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.).

In past years, Manchin was vocal about his support for the filibuster.

“I would hope that they would not ever, ever consider doing away with the filibuster, which is basically the whole premise of the Senate,” he told The Hill in an interview in 2019.

Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.), a traditional institutionalist, also suggested that if Biden won the election, he would be open to “urgent and effective action.”

read more:

https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/01/senate-democrats-now-say-theyll-end-the-filibuster-if-joe-biden-wins/

You need to be a member of Command Center to add comments!

Join Command Center

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gee shocked yet.  I am not.  BIDEN would destroy this country if only he can remember where he is.  Send him to a home.   TRUMP has to win. 

This reply was deleted.