ADMIN

Sasse proposes ending direct election of U.S. senators

Congressional Elections. Constitution Senators –Up for election every 6  years –Originally selected by state legislatures –17 th Amendment, 1913:  Direct. - ppt download

Sen. Ben Sasse proposed a slew of major changes to the Senate this week — including a repeal of the Constitutional amendment that provided for direct election of its members.

The Nebraska Republican said in an interview that he recognizes it could take many years to implement the major overhaul he has in mind.

“So we’re going to need to tell the truth about the fact that the Senate is a dysfunctional institution to be able to get enough ideas on the menu that you can start to figure out where you’d forge consensus,” Sasse told The World-Herald.

He unveiled his ideas in a Wall Street Journal opinion piece, writing that the founding fathers would be shocked at the current state of affairs.

read more:

https://omaha.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/sasse-proposes-ending-direct-election-of-u-s-senators/article_ad1f0116-d3ec-5248-932a-b48c5e231525.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

You need to be a member of Command Center to add comments!

Join Command Center

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have advocated for the 17ths repeal on this and other forums and also urged a Convention of States avenue as the Constitutional organ to do so (because I do not trust our compromised Congress as it is now). I hope either or both of these two notions will fare better today with an engaged electorate (having been given a bloodied Covid nose).

I must believe that traditional electoral college selected Senators as regional stewards would have never allowed such a disasterous policy to be implemented without aggressive Senate response.

• If you notice, this is orginally how the system was set up. The House represented the people only. Each Rep was elected by the majority of 30,000. The Sentor was elected by the State and he was to represent only the state. Liberals were able to pass teh 17th Admen throwing the orignal experiment into chaos. Return to the original. 

• I agree... do it now. While at it repeal the 16th and 14th Amendments... Get rid of the poorly worded and massively abused  14th Amendment.

• Yes, both of those. And the state's electoral votes should not be thrown to the popular vote, either. 

• The entire Federal and State governments are dysfunctional, but we don't throw out the baby with the bath water.  We put clean water in the tub!  Rampant corruption runs all forms of government, and the only thing that would fix it would be term limits.  No need for people like Biden who has been in government all of his life and produced nothing of value.

• ABSOLUTELY...TERM LIMITS!!

• He is SO right!!!  Awesome!!!

This reply was deleted.