ADMIN

Hospital Bills Be like - Squidward Bill | Meme Generator

Ridiculous, seemingly arbitrary price markups are a defining characteristic of the $4-trillion U.S. healthcare system — and a key reason Americans pay more for treatment than anyone else in the world.

But to see price hikes of as much as 675% being imposed in real time, automatically, by a hospital's computer system still takes your breath away.

I got to view this for myself after a former operating-room nurse at Scripps Memorial Hospital in Encinitas shared with me screenshots of the facility's electronic health record system.

The nurse asked that I not use her name because she's now working at a different Southern California medical facility and worries that her job could be endangered.

Her screenshots, taken earlier this year, speak for themselves.

What they show are price hikes ranging from 575% to 675% being automatically generated by the hospital's software.

The eye-popping increases are so routine, apparently, the software even displays the formula it uses to convert reasonable medical costs to billed amounts that are much, much higher.

For example, one screenshot is for sutures — that is, medical thread, a.k.a. stitches. Scripps' system put the basic "cost per unit" at $19.30.

But the system said the "computed charge per unit" was $149.58. This is how much the patient and his or her insurer would be billed.

The system helpfully included a formula for reaching this amount: "$149.58 = $19.30 + ($19.30 x 675%)."

You read that right. Scripps' automated system took the actual cost of sutures, imposed an apparently preset 675% markup and produced a billed amount that was orders of magnitude higher than the true price.

read more:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/column-leaked-socal-hospital-records-reveal-huge-automated-markups-for-healthcare/ar-AARGAXf?ocid=msedgntp

You need to be a member of Command Center to add comments!

Join Command Center

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is about getting rich your health and protection is the last thing on their mind 

• This reply was deleted.
    • Arnold, very true, the political ruling class has sold us out for personal wealth and power!!!!!  There are a few honest republicans but too few and have no power to help We the People.  The good ones are kept at arm length by the deep state TRAITORS like mcconnell, mccarthy, and their minions!!!!!!!!!!

• Hospitals and the drug companies are all in bed together

• Yes they are, and the political ruling class are right there with them, all to the detriment of We the People!!!!!!!!!!

• This reply was deleted.
    • The federal government "interference" is designed to provide the political ruling class with kickbacks to make them obscenely wealthy and keep their thumbs on us!!!!!!!!!!

• Don't forget the unions and the hospital administration.

• Yup, the hospitals are milking this, making billions on waiting to treat people until they have to be hospitalized. They refuse to treat them early on because there is no money in it for them. Do no harm is out the window, they don't give a damn how many die, if they claim they died of Covid they get an extra 5.000! 

• When I was in a nursing home after a stroke they charged my wife $200 for a arm brace.  When it wore out she bought one exactly like it for $20 at Wal-Mar That was quite a markupt!!!!!!!!!!

• No wonder Michelle Obama and David Axelrod had no show jobs at Chicago University Hospital with Michelle earning 500k/yr. Never been proud to be an American before today??........SUCKKKKAAAS!!!!!

• Hysterical mark ups like that won't leave me in stitches.

The 3M Steri Strips Are the Future of Stitches

This reply was deleted.