ADMIN

8469324292?profile=RESIZE_710x

Incoming Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg has suggested taxing Americans for the number of miles they drive, a policy he endorsed as a Democratic presidential candidate.

The Biden Administration is actively searching for ways to fund its ambitious $1 trillion infrastructure plan.

Buttigieg, the former mayor of South Bend, Ind., acknowledged "privacy concerns" related to implementing a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) system but said it should be considered as a potential replacement for the gas tax.

During Buttigieg's confirmation hearing in the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee on Thursday, Florida Republican Sen. Rick Scott asked him if he would support increasing the federal gas tax, which is currently charged to drivers in addition to state gas taxes. The federal gas and diesel tax is the primary source of funding for the Federal Highway Trust Fund.

"I think all options need to be on the table, as you know, the [federal] gas tax has not been increased since 1993, and it has never been pegged to inflation, and it's one of the reasons why the current state of Highway Trust Fund is that there's more going out than coming in," Buttigieg replied. "In the long term, we need to bear in mind also that as vehicles become more efficient and as we pursue electrification, sooner or later, there will be questions about whether the gas tax can be effective at all."

read more here: https://justthenews.com/government/white-house/incoming-transportation-sec-buttigieg-suggests-taxing-americans-amount-miles

You need to be a member of Command Center to add comments!

Join Command Center

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That FUCKING COCKSUCKER needs to be put in a MENTAL WARD, ALONG WITH THE REST OF BIDENS ADMIN.

• "Incoming Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg has suggested taxing Americans for the number of miles they drive, a policy he endorsed as a Democratic presidential candidate."

Pete Buttigieg can leave my car and its tail pipe unmolested. Mine too!

• Let's be real here people the Democrats are for power and that's it.

• When will Democrat voters wake up?  They call themselves "Woke" what a joke that is!!!

• How will they do that?

Will they track where you go?

You can always tell when squinty-eyed, grifter JoeBama is lying, he squints his eyes.

• No, they will record your mileage each year you get your vehicle inspected which is already law.

I am sick and tired of these cities voting to increase gasoline taxes and then using the money not for for needed road repairs but instead for subsidizing their public transportation systems. If they need more money for operating the systems than they should increase the fares instead of putting the bill on the shoulders of the people who have no public transport options.

• Right, Diane.  Unfortunately they tax but someone else has to do the thinking for them. So if the feds tx us, and the state does it too, people will only drive for emergencies; no social driving, no vacations using the car, dd in  to and from work  Not a lot of gas sales.

• We need lower taxes, not higher or additional taxes. George W Bush and especially Trump showed us that lowering taxes leads to a balances budget eventually.

• Trump sure did show us, but our impationt Dems won't let anything he showed us work out.  More jealousy and downright impatience and stubborness. I don't think the people will put up with Biden's alleged "unity" for too long, either.  Something's got to give.

• What we will end up with is both a federal gas tax and Buttgouge's VMT. Taxes never go away, only increase and become more numerous.

This reply was deleted.