Replies

• Vakerie, Some points of interest. The Emancipation Proclamation only freed the Slaves in the "Rebel States" those in the Northern States remained Enslaved. Freedom was granted to All Slaves if they served in the Union Army, however, Northern Slaves wishing this advantage had to be Purchased from their Owners prior to Service. Jefferson Davis: Designed the Two Wings and Dome of Our Capital Building, and Initiated the Construction of the Smithsonian Museum as Constitutionally required. Lincoln had Baltimore, the Capital of Maryland surrounded by Federal Troops to prevent he Meeting of Their State's Congress to decide Succession or Not, being a "Slave State", and with D.C. within its boundaries. All peoples are in agreement that the concept of " Slavery " is an abohration. Reviews of the Congressional Records do make not unfair comparisons between the lives of "Slaves" and those of "Industrial Age Families" trapped in Cities, with Five families to a room, no heat, nor water, and subsistence wages. All Histories must be revealed, worts, scars and all, to find and retain the "Truth" in order never to repeat it.

Lynn Bryant DeSpain

• Thanks Valerie, One can discover the actual arguments begin on the Floors of Congress 40+ years prior to that War. All the Words are on record in the Congressional Library, and verbatim books available everywhere. The similarities between then and now are an "Echo."

Lynn Bryant DeSpain

• That is a good tip and I will try to research it as soon as I can. The Civil War like everything has been politically exploited. It was much more complicated than that one awful issue.  

• Well Valerie, Picture 1861, with the South having Five times more Military than the North, More and Better Armament, more secure underground communication, and an endless supply of food, clothes and medical needs. Remember the Civil War did not begin over "Slavery" but over the Federal Government's refusal to "Honor the Bill of Rights". This is the reason every Supreme Court Justice, to a Man, gave to all who wanted Jefferson Davis prosecuted for Treason, including President Johnson, the Majority of House and Senate and All Northern Governors and Industrial Leaders. Response: " If Mr. Jefferson is Tried for Treason, He Will Be Found Innocent, fore He Was Upholding The Constitution."  The Truth in History must be sought out as it is becoming less and less instructed in our education.

Lynn Bryant DeSpain

• Thanks, Lynn Bryant.  And actual history, even allowing for personal interpretation, is all but hidden and they have been for a while.,.  I thought that war was a money, taxes, and state rights issue. Not that I condone slavery. It is abhorrent to me. But there were slaves in the North too as I have read.  They didn't even teach the whole of that war when I was in school and that was a long time ago.  Living the South now, I have to say that anyone who thinks southerners are stupid is a bigoted idiot themselves. 

• Thanks, Lynn Bryant.  And actual history, even allowing for personal interpretation, is all but hidden and they have been for a while.,.  I thought that war was a money, taxes, and state rights issue. Not that I condone slavery. It is abhorrent to me. But there were slaves in the North too as I have read.  They didn't even teach the whole of that war when I was in school and that was a long time ago.  Living the South now, I have to say that anyone who thinks southerners are stupid is a bigoted idiot themselves. 

• I am trying imagine what it would be like if this nation really splits???

• "The Bill of Rights" was established as a condition to the States signing of the Constitution to "Protect the Citizens From Their Governments." Those are the First Ten Amendments.

Lynn Bryant DeSpain

• Absolutely!

Lynn Bryant DeSpain

This reply was deleted.