ADMIN

Obamagate Meme Spying Wiretapping | Obama | TRUMP MEMES LIBRARY | Flickr

Republicans on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee voted on Wednesday to greenlight subpoenas and depositions as part of an investigation into the FBI’s Russia probe and the Obama administration. 

The 8-6 party line vote authorizes Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), the chairman of the committee, to issue a combination of subpoenas and set up closed-door depositions with approximately 40 individuals. 

The votes come less than two months before the November election, injecting fresh acrimony into the Wednesday committee meeting where Johnson accused Democrats of a “coordinated spear” against his probes. Sen. Gary Peters (D-Mich.), the top Democrat on the panel, accused Republicans of a “partisan fishing expedition.” 

“I’m disappointed that our committee is once again meeting to discuss the authorization of subpoenas instead … of the serious challenges facing Americans,” Peters said. “Your own public comments … state that your desire to reinvestigate these matters demonstrates the alarming partisan nature of this investigation which is designed to influence the presidential election.” 

The votes give Johnson the power to set up depositions with dozens of officials he previously got authorization to subpoena in June.

But those subpoenas ran into a snag in August, when Peters accused Johnson of violating the committee’s rules by trying to set up the interview without support from Peters or a majority of the committee to formally issue the deposition notice.  

Johnson blasted Peters on Wednesday accusing him of forcing the votes to authorize the depositions “based on an absurd interpretation of committee rules.” 

But Wednesday’s vote also authorizes subpoenas of new individuals including former Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe and Justice Department official Bruce Ohr. 

read more:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/516665-gop-votes-to-authorize-subpoenas-depositions-in-obama-era-probe

You need to be a member of Command Center to add comments!

Join Command Center

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I often cite examples of the Court's contorted logic and findings as evidence of their abuse of their power... Citations of precedent are used to demonstrate how Judges create legal arguments to establish 'case law' out of existing Law.  

Judges who use 'case law' to create new law from existing Statutory and Constitutional law... do so by Judicial Fiat.  It is not hypocritical to cite examples of this despicable practice, informing the public on the Court's use of 'case law' to rewrite existing law...

• Hey, give the guy a break!  It's really hard to rant and rave about what's wrong in our government while maintaining a civil and coherent dialogue on serious topics.

• Every legal system exists with a mix of statutory law and case law. Ron, you can look at your old comments and count how many legal decisions (case law) you referenced in the past. 100? 200?.... Stop being so hypocritical!

• I know you will vote for Trump no matter what but I do hope you also vote the GOP slate. Don't forget that Congress will make life hard for Trump if he doesn't have as many Republicans in Congress as possible.

• Trump needs conservatives not more like mcconnell, collins, and murkowski, liberals disguising themselves with an R behind theirnames to hide their liberal D attitudes!!!!!

• vote republican all the way

• I have been voting since 1971 and have never voted straight republican but will this time.  I will risk electing treasonous dems with an R behind their name to get those honest enough to tell us who they really are, traitors!!!!!

• Congress is already making it nearly impossible for Pres. Trump to clean out the corruption in DC and in government in general... returning and electing new Republicans to high governmet  office is not the solution and no guarantee that they will restore Constitutional Government.  However, in spite of the problems the GOP is by far the better choice than any Democrat.  Vote GOP and continue to work to purge out the corruption... it will take time but putting Democrats on the street and out of office must be our first priority.

• Ron, I agree

• No CFR members and term limits.

This reply was deleted.