ADMIN

you never see our content in your newsfeeds.

You need to be a member of Command Center to add comments!

Join Command Center

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "That's right. This is America. No second chance for felons, no ever paying your debt to society fully. " -Paul Simmon

Since your post is tinged (which indicates your intent), I'll say this is a real ideological problem for Americans. Intrepid achievers dream of a bright new frontier without baggage. The malcontents impatiently demand it (have you noticed lately?). Yet those who strive to live up to their ideals do not understand others who not only fall short, but also compromise them for advantage. The desire to be apart permeates the discussions. 

But as long as our political experiment values,  "E PLURIBUS UNUM", this really cannot be without rending the idea of a civil society void of class distinction. Nobility status still remains banished (though some business or politics oriented families have tried to ressurrect it), but defining a permenent subclass of essentially slaves, vexes me.

I would say this is the catalyst for the postings.

• I agree.

• That's right. This is America. No second chance for felons, no ever paying your debt to society fully. 

• This may seem harsh... but if you do the crime be prepared to do the time AND... suffer the lifetime suspension of certain civil rights... including voting privileges and the right to keep and bear arms... along with licensing for certain practices and professions. I didn't make the law... but the law requires much more than the physical sentence given felons by the court as retribution for felony crimes.

•  "In effect, a felon never finishes his sentence. "

Thats the part I need people to understand when they promote citizenship without full enfranchisement ( no voting).It is not a trivial  inconvenience   If "previous condition of servitude" is to be used as a disenfranchiser, then either the applied penalty is too severe, or societies tolerance is too lax.

Warehouse the felon, banish them, or strike them with the sword. But do not dilute what a citizen is for accomidations sake. IMHO

• The "Previous condition of servitude" as used in the 15th Amendment applied to the emancipated SLAVE of the Civil War.., not felons.  

Next, Felons.. are never Ex-Felons unless they have their criminal record expunged or receive a pardon... the Courts uphold the State's right to remove a felon's voting privileges as Constitutional.  There is no universal right to vote.  Voting is granted by LAW to specific groups of qualified US CItizens... not all citizens may vote.  Felons, the incompetent, those not meeting residency requirements or fail to register to vote, etc.  Not all qualified voters are eligible to vote in all local elections based on various State Laws.

Hence, the idea that felons have an empirical right to vote is not true... the right to vote is a confirmed privilege by State Law...

• Marlene... the 16th Amendment applies to the Income-tax ...  I don't know of an Amendment that specifically states felons lose their voting privileges once they are released... that is a State prerogative and most states have taken the voting privileges of felons.

• I believe it is up to the state at that point, Marlen.

Restoration of Voting Rights for Felons

Graphic of a human silhouette behind jail bars.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/felon-voting-...

It has been common practice in the United States to make felons ineligible to vote, in some cases permanently. Over the last few decades, the general trend has been toward reinstating the right to vote at some point, although this is a state-by-state policy choice. (See Recent State Action below for a chronology.)

Felon Voting Rights
      This report summarizes the various laws governing felon voting rights in the states.
    • I think the 16th is the evil federal authority to tax personal income. Anyways, now I get to read the paragraphs of the Colonel.

• You know Marlene, it was my interest in this topic that tempted me to to broach it, otherwise I would know better LOL.

Amendment 19, the affirmation of a citizens voting rights regardless of sex (women are not specifically mentioned), sure seems to build on the 15th regarding voting rights, at least to me.

Implication creates questions of intent. But when the term, "regardless of servitude" comes up, it somehow only relates to slaves....or black slaves?

Really, there are other players who are bound to rally to this issue like bees to the flower. I am tempted to leave it be, rather than rattle the hornets nest with a stick.

I beware of experts myself. Anthony Fauci is a medical expert for the White House. The Dred Scott Decision was rendered by judical  experts. They can be wrong. Forunately, truth is not a respecter of persons.

This reply was deleted.