Censorship on campus – and elsewhere – is dumbing down political debate.

The American left faces a grave threat – from within. Young liberals aren’t being taught how to argue.

On 9 May, Duke University professor Jerry Hough commented on a New York Times article, which blamed the Baltimore rioting on racism (or, as the NYT itself described it, ‘the century-long assault that Baltimore’s blacks have endured at the hands of local, state and federal policymakers’).

Hough’s most controversial statements centred on why, in his words, ‘Asians who were oppressed [as much as blacks] did so well and are integrating so well, and the blacks are not doing so well’.

Hough continued: ‘[Asians] didn’t feel sorry for themselves, but worked doubly hard… Every Asian student has a very simple, old American first name that symbolises their desire for integration. Virtually every black has a strange new name that symbolises their lack of desire for integration. The amount of Asian-white dating is enormous [and] black-white dating is almost non-existent because of the ostracism by blacks of anyone who dates a white.’

Duke University responded: ‘The comments were noxious, offensive, and have no place in civil discourse.’ (My emphasis).

But if Hough’s comments are racist, repugnant or simply incorrect, should we dismiss them as unfit even to discuss, let alone debate or refute? Were Asians and blacks discriminated against equally, or did blacks face greater challenges? Do Asians really have simple American names, and blacks strange new ones? (Here’s one take). Do Asians integrate while blacks insulate? Is it fair to ask blacks to integrate into a society that has long oppressed them?

But students won’t have these conversations. The liberal establishment dismisses Hough’s comments as the racist ramblings of an old white fool. Perhaps that’s right. But here’s the problem: if no one confronts such ideas, they will not go away.

‘[N]o one has said I was wrong, just racist’, Hough writes. Another Duke professor, Michael Munger, argues that universities educate conservative students by challenging them, while liberal students get a pass. As the chair of indignation studies (whatever that is) told Munger, ‘I don’t really need to spend much time with the liberal students because they already have it right. I spend most of my time arguing with the conservative students.’

read more:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/young-american-liberal...

Views: 494

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Q.  What is the opposite of American diversity?

A.   American university

Good observation.

I like that.  It's like the opposite of progress is Congress.

Even a fool knowS when there sounding like the fool, they are. A fool will believe a Lie before the truth. A lie has the hand of the devil in it, the great deceiver. We know the one in the White House!

Those remarks aren't racist.  They're the truth, and that's what the left wants to shut down.

Maybe they are tired of supporting every wicked lifestyle in the name of freedom?

Mr. Hough is correct.blacks call themselves african Americans where I have heard Asian heritage kids call themselves "just" Americans! and alot of them do have Americanize names...no one likes a person that plays victim all the time and holds grudges from the past against groups of people..otherwise we couldn't talk to Germans, Japanese folks as we were at war at one time...every culture&country was enslaved at one time or another by another so liberal agruments are getting old to most even minded folks.

Hey, this is the way of the Moslems!!!! Obama has his university professors and K to 12 teachers preach the Muslem  hold a grudge for eternity ie:  Blacks vs White. Rich vs Poor  Old vs young

Two things, Liberals never could debate because they rely on half truth and outright lies.  2nd, Blacks don't "date" they just mate.

They mate just like cockroaches and come out at night. They all should be sent back to Africa.

I have to admit, I feel bad for poor liberals of today's generation. Not only are they supporting a losing argument, they are too uneducated to conduct an intelligent, civil argument. 

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Tom Stiglich

Political Cartoons by Gary VarvelPolitical Cartoons by AF Branco

ALERT ALERT

SICK: Leprosy On The Rise In Los Angeles 

Ahh, the joys of open borders and Democrat leadership.

California is not just a public toilet but now there is evidence that leprosy is on the rise in Los Angeles County.

Barack Obama changed US law in 2016 and allowed immigrants with blistering STDs and leprosy to migrate to the US.

Medscape reported:

Leprosy, also known as Hansen’s disease, is rarely seen in the United States, but cases continue to emerge in Los Angeles County, a new report says.

“Hansen’s disease still exists, and we need to educate medical students and physicians,” coauthor Dr. Maria Teresa Ochoa from Keck Medical Center of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, told Reuters Health by email.

Dr. Ochoa and colleagues identified 187 patients with the disease in a review of medical records from their leprosy clinic spanning 1973 to 2018. Most patients were Latino, originating from Mexico, and they experienced a median delay in diagnosis of more than three years, the team reports JAMA Dermatology, online August 7.

Multibacillary leprosy (MB) cases outnumbered paucibacillary leprosy (PB) cases by nearly eight to one (88.6% vs. 11.4%, respectively), and Latino patients were more likely than non-Latino patients to have MB, as were patients from Central or South America (versus other regions).

Most patients (80.7%) received multidrug therapy, and most (92.6%) received antibiotics for more than two years, especially if they had MB.

Only about half of patients (56.7%) had World Health Organization (WHO) grade 0 disability (no signs or symptoms suggestive of leprosy or disability) at the one-year follow-up, whereas 16.0% had grade 1 disability (loss of protective sensation) and 26.2% had grade 2 disability (visible deformity) at the last follow-up.

Among the patients who lost protective sensation, 87.7% (50/57) did not regain it following therapy.

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service