Censorship on campus – and elsewhere – is dumbing down political debate.

The American left faces a grave threat – from within. Young liberals aren’t being taught how to argue.

On 9 May, Duke University professor Jerry Hough commented on a New York Times article, which blamed the Baltimore rioting on racism (or, as the NYT itself described it, ‘the century-long assault that Baltimore’s blacks have endured at the hands of local, state and federal policymakers’).

Hough’s most controversial statements centred on why, in his words, ‘Asians who were oppressed [as much as blacks] did so well and are integrating so well, and the blacks are not doing so well’.

Hough continued: ‘[Asians] didn’t feel sorry for themselves, but worked doubly hard… Every Asian student has a very simple, old American first name that symbolises their desire for integration. Virtually every black has a strange new name that symbolises their lack of desire for integration. The amount of Asian-white dating is enormous [and] black-white dating is almost non-existent because of the ostracism by blacks of anyone who dates a white.’

Duke University responded: ‘The comments were noxious, offensive, and have no place in civil discourse.’ (My emphasis).

But if Hough’s comments are racist, repugnant or simply incorrect, should we dismiss them as unfit even to discuss, let alone debate or refute? Were Asians and blacks discriminated against equally, or did blacks face greater challenges? Do Asians really have simple American names, and blacks strange new ones? (Here’s one take). Do Asians integrate while blacks insulate? Is it fair to ask blacks to integrate into a society that has long oppressed them?

But students won’t have these conversations. The liberal establishment dismisses Hough’s comments as the racist ramblings of an old white fool. Perhaps that’s right. But here’s the problem: if no one confronts such ideas, they will not go away.

‘[N]o one has said I was wrong, just racist’, Hough writes. Another Duke professor, Michael Munger, argues that universities educate conservative students by challenging them, while liberal students get a pass. As the chair of indignation studies (whatever that is) told Munger, ‘I don’t really need to spend much time with the liberal students because they already have it right. I spend most of my time arguing with the conservative students.’

read more:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/young-american-liberal...

Views: 494

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Linda, I know what your saying, but one thing is for sure liberals will win in most attacks on religion using there years of indocternation on Evaltion. Those that can fight the good fight with hard to question facts can't
be beat. If Christians know the bible as well as our children know the lefts side, things would be much different in the world. The left couldn't get Kent Hovind so with the government fighting him and trying to take him out of the education field, the government took him out by using the IRS. This man is in jail now and if you read the case and the lawyers comments he was railroaded. This is sad and just another reason to remove the Power from the IRS, and other government agency. The left can't stand to lose and you can be sure Obama is working dam hard to stay in the White House, along with his criminal team he's put in place.

They Left have always hated and looked down on blacks and as a result is they still find themselves at the back of the bus, destroyed as a group, with wiped out as a family unit, without the family identity. This was done intentionally. White elitist have always hated the weak blacks and decided to used them against their enemy, us conservatives, and so gave them a hand out of other peoples $$$., i.e, public assistance knowing it would eventually weaken and destroy them as a people. No other group is as dependent on government nor as weak as an ethnic group. They have no identity. Many are drug dealers, addicted to drugs themselves, many are criminals, wife beaters, rapist, haters in general which has resulted in them being killers including their own kind. Most Blacks in general cannot be trusted because they would side with the wrong side.

if you don't know why you believe what you believe then it must not be worth believing

I think this commenter has it right:

Good article......

But I think you're being slightly naive in believing that the people behind Political Correctness are well intentioned fools, pathologically altruistic, etc...

The people behind this propaganda know exactly what they are doing.

They know there is no rape culture, they know mass third world immigration is insane, they know crime rates and IQ differ between races, they know climate change is a hoax, they know there is no gender pay gap, they know that Blacks aren't actually victims, they know that the traditional family unit is the cornerstone of society and the optimal way to raise children, etc..........

The elite is pedaling its blatant untruths as part of an agenda to change society - the only way it can do so is via mass propaganda and the shutting down of debate.

Of course liberals are losing the ability to argue - that's exactly what they want - it's deliberate.....

Liber theaching at it's best

Liberals can't argue  they do not deal in the truth.  So why bother.

It's sad - they're all so angry - and they don't even know why.

Might be because the conservatives have it right and you dear stupid professor has it all wrong.  You follow satan and all his evil.  That will be your undoing.  God will not be mocked.

CHANGE -  Obama and his ideology are winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Al Goodwyn

Political Cartoons by AF BrancoPolitical Cartoons by Michael Ramirez

ALERT ALERT

SICK: New Jersey Awarded $3.8 Million In Financial Aid To Illegal Aliens

A local news report revealed that the state of New Jersey awarded $3.8 million in financial aid to illegal immigrants during the 2018-2019 school year.

According to a report from NJ.com, the state of New Jersey gave $3.8 million in financial aid to 749 illegal immigrant students in the last academic year. More than a quarter of the funding went to 328 illegal immigrants that attend Rutgers University.

New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy signed a law last year that allowed illegal immigrants to apply for financial aid. Prior to the signing, illegal immigrants were permitted to apply to pay in-state tuition at public universities but they were not eligible for financial aid.

Murphy, who supports the spending, hit back at Republican critics by arguing that giving financial aid to illegal immigrants is compatible with American values.

“I’d even invite any of those folks who have that attitude, beginning with our president, to come on into this room and allow me or any of us to say, ‘This is the United States of America,’” Murphy said at the time.

David J. Socolow, executive director of the state’s Higher Education Student Assistance Authority, defended the state’s decision to offer financial aid to illegal immigrants.

“This financial assistance offers these New Jersey students a life-changing opportunity,” Socolow said in a brief comment.“The successes of these first 513 students, who are now attending county colleges, state colleges and universities, and independent institutions around the state, will have a positive impact on countless additional lives.”

According to the report, there is currently no limit on the amount of illegal immigrant students that are permitted to receive financial aid from the state of New Jersey. State lawmakers forecast that they will spend approximately $5 million on financial aid for illegal immigrants each year.

Video: Flashback: NJ Governor signs bill allowing free tuition for illegal immigrants

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service