Washington’s Militarized Land-Grabs: Targeting the Sioux Indian Reservation in South Dakota

In the wake of a Bundy Ranch crisis sparked by a militarized federal land-grab effort in Nevada, it seems that the Department of Interior has set its sights on a new prize - this time targeting once protected Indian reservation land on Pine Ridge in South Dakota.

The Oglala Sioux and Lakota Sioux of the reservation have been told by the Federal Government that the National Parks Service will be taking land that comprises the South Unit of the Badlands National Park as a new ‘Tribal National Park’, only the wording in the bill clearly indicates that it will be a federally managed national park under the Department of Interior, giving mere lip service to its tribal title. The Congressional bill has already been written, and if passed through Congress, both tribal members and non tribal members will be stripped of their deeded land – at a price set by the federal government. If owners do not accept Washington’s offer (expected to be a meager one), the land can be acquired at no cost because the measure has waived all appraisal rights and stipulates that Washington can simply take Indian land by force under ‘eminent domain’.

Thousands of tribe members will be affected by the land-grab. Some residents will be forced to relocate, and many more others will lose their income from grazing allotments on the land – a result which will ultimately force any remaining independent cattle ranchers out of business. In addition to all this, Tribal members will lose their share of income from entrance fees collected at the adjacent North Gate of the Badlands National Park – a punitive measure which will further compound the existing economic depression on a reservation where the average annual income is around $8,000 per year.

POLL: Which Department would you eliminate in the Federal Government?

Washington may be pining for yet another ‘Wounded Knee’, as many residents and tribal members are prepared to stand their ground in the face of a federal imperialist policy inside US borders - a trend which many Americans have experienced first-hand, particularly in western states like Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona and California.

Bud-May-Pine-Ridgehttp://www.globalresearch.ca/washingtons-militarized-land-grabs-tar...

Views: 1436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most Native Americans I meet here in AZ are Christians...and devout Christians too...and yes...they are great stewards of the land.....I wonder how much of this federal land take over has been promised to the Chinese by this admin.....also most Indians I know vote demoncratic....they have been fooled and bought just like many others....but they are now also experiencing the repercussions of backing the wrong horse......and many I talk to are waking up quickly....many fight or have fought proudly in the armed forces for this country and are a proud people! Their treaties need to be honored. I hope they do fight. We are ALL in this together.

Mike you are wrong. The Indians were a happy unite UNTIL the white man come and stole thier land,shoot the animals they depended on for food and clothing, drove them to reservations where a lot were starved. IF any body in this country has been discriminated against it is the AMERICAN INDIAN. They are owed Billions of dollars in oil revenue that the gov claims to have lost. The Indians have TRUE sovereigy as this was THIER country, leave them alone!!!

Thanks Paul. More need to see what this country, our country has done to the American Indians!  

Your 100% right Paul T.   I had a couple good friends in the Army in Nam. and korea. and they were proud American Patriots inspite of the injustes that that had been heaped on them , and lets not forget the wind talkers of  ww2. i mean the true Americans have always been loayl patriots .

Paul, I agree with you that Native Americans have been treated badly. But the idea of the "Noble Savage" is false. They didn't live in a paradise where they were "happy" as you describe them. They've had their share of problems long before modern Europeans came to the New World. Life in the New World was good, but hard and often dangerous.

There were numerous wars where entire tribes and nations were enslaved or exterminated. In addition starvation and disease weren't that uncommon. Land and resources also were stolen by other tribes. This was especially true in what is now Mexico and South America

In other words, they were flawed humans like us. However, due to European's superior technology, Europeans did do more harm. But the greatest harm was European diseases. From the 1490s to 1600 the vast majority of Native Americans, from 75% to perhaps 90% were killed off by diseases like smallpox, measles, scarlet fever, typhoid, typhus, flu, whooping cough, tuberculosis, cholera, diphtheria, and chickenpox.

The Native Americans had almost no immunity to European diseases. As an example, when Cortez invaded Mexico there were around 30 million people. Fifty years later it's estimated that only 3 million were left.

By the way, there were diseases that didn't exist in Europe brought back. However, due to the proximity of Europe, Africa, the Mideast, and Asia, Europeans had been exposed to a far greater number of diseases, especially the plagues. Thus they had greater resistance to new diseases than did Native Americans.

So yes, Native Americans were discriminated against. But so were blacks and other groups. That's the history of mankind.

So long as they do not scalp his ass, because that is where his brain is at ( IF he has one)!

Greg, I had a thought! If we take J. Jackson's, A. sharpton and some of the others scalps? Tan them out. And stich them together? They would make great door mats, for your front door! Hell, washable and then a little afro sheen? Put Jareer Abeed's in the middle! People will come from miles around!

Indian reservations are a horrible social experiment that has failed miserably, but it wasn't designed for native Americans well being from the get go. Urban low cost housing falls into the same category. If you don't believe me, then take a trip into east St. Louis, MO....but if you go......go armed.

I have been on several reservations and I have been to East St. Louis, MO.  Both are government disasters.  There is nothing the federal government can do right.

Oren L
Truer woreds Have not been spoken ,At least not in this centurey My Frend.

Oren

If we could just get them or enough people to put as much energy into liberty instead of authoritarianism we would be the envy of the world again and others would want to follow the way, not be forced into something they don't want nor should anyone want.

Now now Oren. ;-)

Bob

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Tom Stiglich

Political Cartoons by Lisa BensonPolitical Cartoons by Gary Varvel

ALERT ALERT

CONFUSION:   Pelosi Says Constitution Spells Out ‘Two Co-Equal Branches’ Of Government

No Nancy. No.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi must be taking night classes at the Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez School of Government.

Pelosi, the 79-year-old third-highest ranking official in the U.S. government, was speaking to the Center for American Progress today when she mistakenly said there are “two co-equal branches” of government, before correcting herself to say there are three.

Watch:

“First of all, let me just say, we take an oath of office to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States,” Pelosi said.

“Democrats take that oath seriously, and we are committed to honoring our oath of office. I’m not sure that our Republican colleagues share that commitment, and I’m not sure that the president of the United States does, too,” she claimed.

“So, in light of the fact that the beauty of the Constitution is a system of checks and balances— two co-equal branches— three co-equal branches of government,” she corrected with a laugh.

“A check and balance on each other,” she continued. “Con— Constitution spells out the pri— pa, uh, the duties of Congress and one of them is oversight of the president of the United States, another one of them is to impeach the president of the United States,” Pelosi said.

In November, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez rallied supporters on Facebook to pitch in and help Democrats take back “all three chambers of Congress.”

“…the Progressive movement works and it wins in all districts…If we work our butts off to make sure that we take back all three chambers of Congress– three chambers of government…,” she said during the virtual appearance.

She clarified that she meant the “presidency, the Senate and the House.”

According to the Constitution, the three branches of government are the legislative, executive and judicial.

Below: Nancy Pelosi is continuing to promote the false narrative that President Trump is involved in a cover-up and therefore may be guilty of an impeachable offense. Millie Weaver joins Alex to break down the propaganda being used to overturn the democratic election of 2016 

SPECIAL VIDEOS

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service