U.S. Should Challenge Huge U.N. Funding Disparities

United Nations U.N.

It is well established that the vast majority of United Nations member states pay far less in dues than the United States pays, but the disparity is greater than most realize. Taking U.N. travel subsidies into account, two dozen countries pay roughly $1,000 or less in net contributions to the U.N. regular budget each year while enjoying the same voting privileges as the U.S., which pays nearly $567 million.

No sovereign nation, no matter how poor, should pay so little. Worse, it undermines the incentives for these nations to oversee the U.N. budget properly. The U.S. should call for the elimination of the travel subsidy and for more equitable allocation of U.N. expenses among member states.

Massive Funding Disparities

There are 193 member states in the United Nations. Article 17 of the U.N. Charter states that the “expenses of the Organization shall be borne by the Members as apportioned by the General Assembly.” Since the U.N.’s establishment in 1945, these expenses have been apportioned “broadly according to capacity to pay.” This means that wealthier nations, based principally on per capita income and adjusted by other factors, are asked to pay larger shares of the budget than poorer nations.

Over the past six decades, the contributions, or “assessments,” provided by poor or small U.N. member states have steadily ratcheted downward. Currently, the minimum assessment is 0.001 percent of the regular budget. The 39 countries paying the minimum assessment will pay only $25,852 in gross contributions in 2012, based on the 2012–2013 biennial U.N. regular budget of $5.152 billion.

By contrast, the U.S. is assessed 22 percent of the regular budget, which is nearly $567 million in gross contributions for 2012. The U.S. is assessed more than 180 other U.N. member states combined and 22,000 times more than the least assessed countries. Together, the top 15 contributors pay over 81.4 percent of the U.N. regular budget. Moreover, under U.N. rules, the 129 member states that contribute less than 1.3 percent can pass the budget over the objections of the countries paying over 98 percent.

This explains why so many member states are blasé about increases in the U.N. budget: The financial impact on them is miniscule and undermines incentives for them to fulfill their oversight role. This divorce of financial responsibilities from voting privileges is perhaps the greatest cause of the decades-long intransigence on U.N. reform.

Greater Disparity Than Generally Understood

As large as these differences are, they are understated. Although the gross contribution is the number generally highlighted in discussions about member state assessments, the U.S. is the only member state that actually pays contributions based on this figure. Member states actually pay net contributions, which are their gross contributions less their credit from the staff assessment.

read more:

http://christianpoliticalparty.com/u-s-should-challenge-huge-u-n-fu...

Views: 358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

NOW HERE IS JUST A "THOUGHT" FOR ALL OF AMERICA ( NOT THE MOST CORRUPT MOST WORTHLESS CONGRESS IN HISTORY) TO PONDER:   "GET US THE HELL, I REPEAT, GET US THE HELL OUT OF THE UN!!!!!!!!!!"                                                                                                               MOVE THE ENTIRE UN HEAD QUARTERS TO FRANCE!!!!       CUT OFF "ALL" OF THE US MONIES TO THE UN!!!"                                                                                                                                             HAS "ANY" UN NATION "EVER"  "EVER"   COMMITTED ANY ACT OR RENDERED "ANY" DECISION "FAVORABLE" TO THE USA????    "NONE!!!
 EVER!!!!   I REPEAT,  NEVER EVER NONE!!!!                                                                                    IS THERE "ANY"  UN NATION "FRIENDLY" TO THE USA???   NONE!!!!   NONE!!!                               WHY IS THE USA PAYING ALMOST "ALL" OF THE EXPENSES OF THE UN?????      DAMNED "STUPIDITY" AND CONGRESSIONAL "EGO" THAT IS WHY!!!!                                                           HOW MANY TIMES HAS THE UN ( AND OBAMA ) TRIED TO INTERVENE AND TAKE OVER MANY CONTROLS OF THE US????   COUNTLESS< AND THEY ARE STILL DOING IT AS I TYPE!!!!!            SO I AGAIN SAY,     GET US THE HELL OUT OF THE UN!!!!!                                                              WHAT SAY YOU????                                                                                                        LET US HAVE A "VOTE" : OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE NATION WIDE!!!!          THEN LET US SEND THE RESULTS OF THAT NATION WIDE VOTE DIRECTLY TO OUR MOST CORRUPT CONGRESS ANS "PRESIDENT", "DEMANDING" THAT THEY "IMMEDIATELY ACT" UPON THE WISHES OF "WE THE PEOPLE!!!"                I AM MAILING THIS MESSAGE TO ALL OF MY PATRIOT GROUPS AND I AM ASKING YOU TO DO THE SAME!!!!                                                                                                  LET'S MAKE THIS MESSAGE GO "VIRAL!!!"

How about letting the Citizens vote on whether to stay in the U.N. We no longer have a Congress that works for the people.The U.N. will not be happy until we are under a one world government!

the united states should not be in the united nations and if they pull out the united nations would fold up.  the reason they want the u  s to lead is they want us to fund the war, ammo and most of the men to fight.  it is like the jihadist, push the women and children to the front. only they want to push our precious men and women to the front lines. it will be a waiting game to see what their plan  is.  I hope they come to the conclusion air strikes,  drone or air force is the way to control, disseminate or eliminate them.

Get the USA OUT of the UN, and kick the UN completely OUT of the USA! PERIOD!

If the US got out of the UN and withdrew the monetary support the Un would collapse in 30 days.

IF we break out in civil war the UN better get out while they can..FAST!

A little history lesson -- After World War I the powers that be "PTB" tried to set up what they called "The League of Nations."  Many countries joined, but the United States did not.  So the PTB put us into a major depression and then used World War II to bring us out of the depression.  Following the Second World War the PTB set up the United Nations.  I am afraid that if the United States drops out of the United Nations then the PTB will bring on World War III and then have another International Organization for the United States to join.  So far -- the only control the PTB have on the United States is what can be effected through the United Nations.  I agree, we need out of the United Nations so that we can be totally free from any corrupt influences.  But, we need to strip the PTB of their power to start World War III, or we need to be sure that the United States stays out of the war and lets the other countries destroy themselves.  I'm not quite sure on how to do that.

TIME TO BECOME OBSERVERS. LARGEST CONTRIBUTION FROM THE FREE STATES OF AMERICA SHOULD BE 1- TOWEL AND 1 BAR OF SOAP.

WWW.SPIRITOFAMERICAPARTYRADIOSHOW.COM

WE need to pull out and desolve are standing with the UN. and Through them the hell out of our country NOW. and tell Them to take their AGENDA 21 and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Let me tell what is going on! The devout Communists and leaders could not break America! They had to have help.. they got this with Obama. The Muslims and our Liberal media knew he was Muslim! Our Communist supporting Liberal media refused to tell facts about Obama when he ran in 2008. The Muslims knew he was of the Muslim faith and so did the Liberal media! 70% of Muslims in America voted for Obama. the Liberal media knew he was Muslim and said nothing! Is that a media one should trust?

"U.S. Should Challenge Huge U.N. Funding Disparities"

No we should not...let the UN wake up one morning with a huge U.N. Funding Disparity BECAUSE THE USA HAS STOPPED PAYING DUES AND IS NO LONGER A MEMBER OF THAT CLUB.   That would stop the One World Order that the One United States Tax Payer is FUNDING.  

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Michael RamirezPolitical Cartoons by AF Branco

Political Cartoons by Lisa Benson

ALERT ALERT

Obama Lies Again: – Ignores That The Year After Signing The Stimulus More Than (4) Million Jobs Were Lost

Former President Obama, the only President in US history who had his FBI and other Intel agencies spy on the opposition party candidate, claims that he created the great economy that Americans are enjoying today. The only thing Obama created was debt and massive job losses with his horrible economic recovery.

Yesterday the former President tweeted an effort to take credit for President Trump’s successful economy:

Joe Hoft@joehoft

Of course another @BarackObama lie. He can’t open his mouth without lying. 11 years ago the US lost (4.3) million jobs over the next 12 months. Horrible liar. https://twitter.com/barackobama/status/1229432034650722304 

Barack Obama  @BarackObama

Eleven years ago today, near the bottom of the worst recession in generations, I signed the Recovery Act, paving the way for more than a decade of economic growth and the longest streak of job creation in American history.

President Obama’s policies were a disgrace and a failure. He doubled the national debt in spite of zero interest rates from the Fed. His recovery was the worst in US history.

Also, Obama’s assertion is just plain false. The ‘Stimulus’ was passed in February 2009 right after Obama took over the Presidency. He promised to not pass any bills for at least a week to allow for the bills to be read by the people but lied as soon as he was sworn in. The Stimulus was hundreds and hundreds of pages of government handouts to Democrat districts and it was close to $1 million. This was not what America needed and it led to the Tea Party.

Far-left Wikipedia has this to say about the Stimulus:

Note that in his infinite wisdom, NYT economist Paul Krugman is credited with arguing that “the stimulus was far smaller than the economic crisis warranted”. (He also said the markets would crash and burn if President Trump was elected President.)

The data shows that the 12 months after Obama’s stimulus, the US lost 4.3 million jobs:

In Obama’s first three years he netted a loss of 1.5 million jobs compared to President Trump who has added more than 6.7 million jobs.

When it comes to the economy, the billionaire schools the community organizer every time.

Tucker: Bloomberg is trying to buy the election

© 2020   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service