Trump's new proposed budget cuts federal government down to size

Trump's new proposed budget cuts federal government down to size
© Getty

On Monday, President Trump began sending preliminary fiscal year 2018 budgets to federal agencies for their review. Word quickly spread that his plan proposed large cuts to — and even outright elimination of — many long established discretionary programs and agencies.

Critics claim that these cuts fail to address the key drivers of spending growth: federal healthcare programs and Social Security. What they miss is that reducing discretionary spending is not just about achieving budgetary savings to control the national debt. Equally important is removing government barriers that inhibit individual and economic freedom, and to eliminate federally-funded corporate cronyism.

Moreover, success in cutting discretionary programs will help to build fiscal credibility and support needed to tackle entitlement programs next.

Agencies are naturally reluctant to accept any proposed cuts — it is the nature of bureaucracy to grow or at the very least, maintain, even when their programs are shown to be wasteful or ineffective. Yet, clearly, decisive, rational action to cut spending must be taken now.

Last month, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released budget and economic projections for the next 10 years. They painted a grim picture of the country’s fiscal situation.

Assuming current programs remain unchanged, the federal debt will swell by an additional $9.4 trillion over the next decade. At that point, debt held by the public would consume nearly 90 percent of the economy (as measured in GDP). In 2027 alone, federal spending was projected to outpace revenues by more than $1.4 trillion.

Such mammoth overspending doesn’t come cheap. In the coming decade, annual interest payments on the debt are expected to rise by more than 184 percent, reaching $768 billion in 2027. Taxpayers would be spending more on interest payments than on national defense.

There is already much gnashing of teeth on both sides of the aisle over the scope and magnitude of the cuts being proposed by President Trump. Almost all federal programs, regardless of their effectiveness and purpose, have their constituencies and invoke outcry when lawmakers try to rein them in.

read more:

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/economy-budget/321407-trumps-...

Views: 512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Its about time........and Social Security's time is coming!  People are living so much longer now than when that administration was created.  Retirement age should be increased to age 70 since average life expectancy now is 80 than the previous 72.  That may just be able to bail Social Security out?  Hmmm....  That should begin for people turning 50 or younger next year?  Hmmmm.........

Jerry,

I asked Trump to not allow any S.S. funds be used for anything else and if used now to cut it! This is tax payer money for their retirement and the government uses it for anything they want and it is never refunded!  Now they want to tell us that S.S. is in trouble and that it is a discretionary program.

D.P. Definition: denoting or relating to investment funds placed with a broker or manager who has discretion to invest them on the client's behalf. "In this case to 'spend' it any way they want".

Right .. and how about giving us a real return on our SS investment???  I have paid into it for 45 years... and the amount I will be getting is not even 1% growth.. how about giving us the actual return.. which was really 5%-8% growth ..and the congress sucked that off for their fun money.. right start cutting my SS and I will fight to kick all of your stupid collective asses.. I  PAID SO WHERE IS MY RETURN.. ASSES... WE THE PEOPLE were told SS would be there for us.. it was congress / Democraps who created the SS system .. and then turned around an raped it.. .It was supposed to be solidly invested for the country and it was raped.. by CONGRESS / DUMBOCRAPS and REPUKES.. all of them are responsible for the RAPE and ALL SHOULD PAY ...

So right!

Trump promised that he won't touch social security and Trump keeps all his promises. He needs to be careful that this useless rino Paul Ryan doesn't get his way since Ryan wants to cut social security. I trust Trump who will prevail. Mark his and my words, "Social security will not be touched!"

Trust me when I say Ryan's opinion will change as he gets near SS age.

SS would not be broke if the feds had not used it as a slush fund...and given benefits ti illegals and their brood of kids...

You got that right, Debra.  About 1980, there was a story in the Phoenix paper about 70,000 illegal's getting S.S.I.  A rally to protest was organized and I went down to the State Capital.  The governor was supposed to be there but was too cowardly, sent a "representative".  We stated our objections to illegals getting S.S.I. benefits and you know what happened............nothing. We have been supporting half of Mexico for many years with our S.S. funds, welfare, food stamps, housing and medical care.  The medical care alone is huge and if everyone knew how much we paid for their medical care, they would get really mad.  You know very well that they have obamacare with the subsidies or medicaid, for sure, as their babies born here are "citizens". There were birthing centers set up just over on our side of the border to facilitate this, so they didn't have far to go when labor started.

Great idea, EXCEPT, if you are laid off at 65, you will play hell finding a job, of almost any kind.  Voice of experience talking.

I was planning on working until 70, but the company I was working for lost a major contract and "downsized" many of the newest workers.  I had been there 10 years, was one of the "newer workers, and was laid off.  I spent a year trying to find a job, working on short term contract and a couple of part time jobs.  Finally gave in and filed for SS...

All the bull about "age discrimination" is crap...  Go for an interview, (in my case, over 30) and never get a return call on the job...

Go ahead and try to find a job at over 60, best of luck to you.

Get'r Done President Trump

Go D.J.TRUMP I'm on your side... cut it to the bone!!

good for trump, drain the swamp and let the bureaucrats get a real job for a change

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Tom Stiglich

Political Cartoons by Michael RamirezPolitical Cartoons by Bob Gorrell

ALERT ALERT

YIKES!!! Chelsea Clinton Emphatically States A Person With A Beard And A Penis Can ‘Absolutely’ Identify As A Woman

• The one issue Hillary and Chelsea don’t appear to agree on entirely is transgender self-identification
  • In an interview with The Sunday Times, journalist Decca Aitkenhead asked the Clintons about transgender self-identification
  • Chelsea Clinton replied ‘yes’ emphatically when asked if someone with a beard and penis can ever be a woman
  • ‘It’s going to take a lot more time and effort to understand what it means to be defining yourself differently,’ Hillary said
  • Aitkenhead said Hillary became ‘uneasy’ when the question was asked while Chelsea shot a ‘furious stare’ at the journalist as her mother answered
  • Hillary added: ‘It’s a very big generational discussion, because this is not something I grew up with or ever saw’

(Daily Mail) – It may appear Hillary and Chelsea Clinton always see eye-to-eye, but in a recent interview one topic cracked the facade of the like-minded mother-daughter power duo.

The one issue Hillary and Chelsea don’t appear to agree on entirely is transgender self-identification.

In an interview with The Sunday Times, journalist Decca Aitkenhead asked the Clintons if someone with a beard and a penis can ever be a woman, to which Chelsea replied emphatically, ‘Yes.’

However, as Aitkenhead describes it, Hillary looked ‘uneasy’, and blamed generational gaps for being less accepting.

‘Errr. I’m just learning about this,’ Hillary responded. ‘It’s a very big generational discussion, because this is not something I grew up with or ever saw. It’s going to take a lot more time and effort to understand what it means to be defining yourself differently.’

The Clintons sat sown with Aitkenhead to promote the book they co-authored, The Book of Gutsy Women: Favorite Stories of Courage and Resilience.

The book features Danica Roem, the first trans woman elected to a U.S. state legislature.

According Aitkenhead’s account, she tells Hillary during the interview that many British feminists of Hillary’s generation have a problem with the idea that a ‘lesbian who doesn’t want to sleep with someone who has a penis is transphobic.’

Hillary nods in agreement, while Chelsea ‘stiffens and stares at me’, according to Aitkenhead.

The journalist then adds that many women of Hillary’s generation are uncomfortable with biological males sharing women’s bathrooms.

‘I would say that, absolutely,’ Hillary nods firmly. ‘Absolutely. Yes.’

That’s when Chelsea begins shooting a ‘furious stare’ at Aitkenhead, who points it out to her.

‘I’m a terrible actor’, Chelsea laughs.

Chelsea then says she is thrilled with the National Health Service’s decision to assign patients to single-sex wards according to the gender they identify as, instead of their biological make up.

‘How can you treat someone if you don’t recognize who they feel and know in their core they are?’ Chelsea says.

‘And I strongly support children being able to play on the sports teams that match their own gender identity,’ she adds. ‘I think we need to be doing everything we can to support kids in being whoever they know themselves to be and discovering who they are.’

At this point Hillary looks conflicted.

‘I think you’ve got to be sensitive to how difficult this is,’ Hillary says. ‘There are women who’d say [to a trans woman], ”You know what, you’ve never had the kind of life experiences that I’ve had. So I respect who you are, but don’t tell me you’re the same as me.” I hear that conversation all the time.’

Despite the clear tension in the room, the pair say they don’t argue about this topic.

But according to Aitkenhead, ‘I get the impression they don’t like to present anything less than a united front to the world.’

BONUS VIDEO

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service