Updated Trump administration ends DACA, with 6-month delay 09/27/2018

The Trump administration on Tuesday announced the “orderly wind down” of the Obama-era program that gave a deportation reprieve to illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children – putting pressure on Congress to come up with a legislative alternative.

The Department of Homeland Security formally rescinded the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, known as DACA, with a six-month delay for current recipients. According to Acting Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke, the interval is meant to give Congress “time to deliver on appropriate legislative solutions.”

“However, I want to be clear that no new initial requests or associated applications filed after today will be acted on,” Duke said in a written statement.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions, speaking to reporters, blasted the Obama administration's "disrespect for the legislative process" in enacting the 2012 policy. He said the “unilateral executive amnesty” probably would have been blocked by the courts anyway.

“The executive branch, through DACA, deliberately sought to achieve what the legislative branch specifically refused to authorize on multiple occasions,” Sessions said, blaming the policy for the recent “surge” at the border. “Such an open-ended circumvention of immigration laws was an unconstitutional exercise of authority by the executive branch.”

A day earlier, Sessions sent Duke a letter with his legal determination that the 2012 executive action was unconstitutional.

The Trump administration was facing a Tuesday deadline to make a decision on DACA or face legal action by Republican state AGs who hoped to force the president’s hand in discontinuing the program.

Administration officials cast their approach Tuesday at the least disruptive option.

During the 2016 presidential campaign, Trump had promised to terminate DACA, though he appeared to soften his stance since taking office. In ending the program with a six-month delay, Trump put the onus on Congress to pass a legislative fix.

According to DHS, no current beneficiaries will be impacted before March 5, 2018.

“Congress, get ready to do your job - DACA!” Trump tweeted Tuesday morning.
daca

daca

In this Aug. 15, 2017, file photo, a woman holds up a signs in support of the Obama administration program known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, during an immigration reform rally at the White House in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, File)

While some Republicans support the goals of the DACA program, many opposed the use of executive action to institute it, describing the move as a presidential overreach.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., is among those who now supports the call to protect so-called “Dreamers” with legislation.

“I have always believed DACA was a presidential overreach,” he said in a statement. "However, I equally understand the plight of the Dream Act kids who -- for all practical purposes know no country other than America. If President Trump makes this decision we will work to find a legislative solution to their dilemma.”

On a conference call, administration officials said Tuesday they are still prioritizing criminal aliens for deportation. But they described the original DACA criteria as very broad and cited the legal determination of the Justice Department.

During the presidential campaign, Trump referred to DACA as “illegal amnesty.” However, he seemed to edge away from that stance in April when he told the Associated Press that DACA recipients could “rest easy.”

The DACA program was formed through executive action by former President Barack Obama in 2012, allowing recipients to get a deportation reprieve – and work permits – for a two-year period subject to renewal. Under the program, individuals were able to request DACA status if they were under the age of 31 on June 15, 2012, came to the U.S. before turning 16 and have continuously lived in the country since June 15, 2007. Individuals must also have a high school diploma, GED certification, been honorably discharged from the military or still be in school. Recipients cannot have a criminal record.

Congress had been considering legislation to shield young illegal immigrants from deportation for years, dating back to the George W. Bush administration. Lawmakers tried again to pass a bill during the Obama administration, but couldn’t muster the votes amid flagging Republican support before Obama formed the program in 2012.

Nearly 800,000 undocumented youth are currently under the program's umbrella.

On Friday, House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., said he supported a legislative solution to protect undocumented minors, but also urged the president to reconsider scrapping DACA.

"I actually don't think he should do that and I believe that this is something that Congress has to fix," Ryan said on radio station WCLO.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/09/05/trump-administration-end...

Views: 2902

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This link works... replaces the above inoperative link regarding qualifications for Congress.

http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/outlines/government-1991/the-legislative-...

Mr. Nelson,

As of now I could care less about what you have to say, soon enough the UN DACA Docs will be on line here, so enjoy the rest of the day.

LEAKED MEMO: DREAMers Are ‘Critical’ To Dems ‘Future Electoral Success’

The Center For American Progress (CAP) Action Fund circulated a memo on Monday calling illegal immigrants brought here at a young age — so-called “Dreamers” — a “critical component of the Democratic Party’s future electoral success.”

The memo, co-authored by former Clinton communications director Jennifer Palmieri, was sent around to allies calling on Democrats to “refuse to offer any votes for Republican spending bills that do not offer a fix for Dreamers and instead appropriate funds to deport them.”

President Donald Trump’s administration moved to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) policy in September, which former President Barack Obama instituted through executive order to keep immigrants who came here as children from being deported.

Trump called on Congress to find a legislative fix for young immigrants, or “Dreamers,” facing deportation. House lawmakers recently put forward a bipartisan DACA compromise bill that also claims to address worries over chain migration. However, it’s unclear if the bill will pass.

CAP Action’s memo says protecting DACA is not only a “moral imperative” for Democrats, it also key to getting votes.

“The fight to protect Dreamers is not only a moral imperative, it is also a critical component of the Democratic Party’s future electoral success,” reads Palmieri’s memo, obtained by The Daily Caller News Foundation.

“If Democrats don’t try to do everything in their power to defend Dreamers, that will jeopardize Democrats’ electoral chances in 2018 and beyond,” reads the memo. “In short, the next few weeks will tell us a lot about the Democratic Party and its long-term electoral prospects.”

Fox News Host Tucker Carlson confronted Center for American Progress senior fellow Henry Fernandez on the memo. CAP Action is the 501(c)(4) political group, a sister group of the think tank where Fernandez is technically employed.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/08/leaked-memo-dreamers-are-critical...

Kat...

We don't need to fund the Dreamers deportation... go after employers, schools, financial institutions and any one who profits from their presence... put these individuals in jail for felony harboring, aiding and abetting, conspiracy, accessory to their crimes, etc.  Once the employers, educators, public servants, land lords and others understand that it is criminal to harbor, aide, abet or hire a Dreamer, the Dreamers will have to self-deport or starve. 

I for one am sick of the left and their RINO operatives telling us we must change the existing law... to accommodate criminal conduct... go after those aiding and abetting the Dreamers... let the public know the will be prosecuted for knowingly aiding and abetting these criminals.

P/S the UN has nothing to do with the DACA program or Dreamers in the US of A... Focusing on the UN for a solution to our Illegal alien problems is a waste of time.

I agree Col. Prosecute them, enforce mandatory e-verify, secure the border and enforce the current laws on the books. 

Yes, we all know the UN has never been our friend.

Judge rules DACA legal, blocks Trump’s decision to end program

The ruling contradicts other federal judges, including the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which rules a program similar to DACA was illegal because it not only didn’t go through notice-and-comment, but it also was contrary to immigration law.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/9/judge-blocks-trumps...

Nearly 100,000 Dreamers Granted Amnesty in Trump's Opening Months

http://teapartyorg.ning.com/forum/topics/nearly-100-000-dreamers-gr...

Just one more case demonstrating that the RULE OF LAW has been totally corrupted... DACA is definitely illegal as it circumvents the underlying Statutory Law.  The Attorney General has issue a legal finding declaring it illegal.

This judge needs to be referred for IMPEACHMENT by the DOJ as he definitely has step outside his duties as a judge to engage in Judicial Activism (rule by judicial fiat)... A judges decisions that fundamentally changes the law as legislated is bad conduct on the part of the judge.  Activism by Judicial Officers needs to be met with IMPEACHMENT, ever time it raises its ugly head... the judicial is to interpret and administer the law... they are not to rewrite or invent new law.

I do try not to be a bad Goy, I really do, but I just love that word created for me by the elite. Its both British and Jewish. And DACA is much more then you think?

Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill., made the first motion to adjourn in protest of the GOP position. He was followed by Reps. Adriano Espaillat, D-N.Y., and Raul Grijalva, D-Ariz. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

Dems revolt on the House floor over GOP immigration plan

Democrats tried to hold up legislative work in the House on Wednesday by demanding votes that it adjourn three times, forcing Republicans to waste time on these procedural motions each time.

Democrats disapprove of the Trump administration's decision to revoke temporary protected status for thousands of Salvadorans, and also oppose the GOP plan to impose tougher border restrictions as part of a larger immigration plan.

They specifically are demanding protection for Dreamers as part of a spending bill next week. But Republicans are demanding that this immigration matter be delayed until March.

Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill., made the first motion to adjourn in protest of the GOP position.

"The president gave the Congress a deadline to pass legislation to protect the Dreamers and we take that deadline very seriously and think our colleagues should too," Gutierrez said in a statement. "Any time we are not debating the Dream Act is time wasted and we wanted to make that point by forcing everyone to come to the floor for a symbolic vote."

He was followed by Reps. Adriano Espaillat, D-N.Y., and Raul Grijalva, D-Ariz.

"We are taking action to make sure everyone knows that people with DACA are already losing their status and face deportation," said Grijalva. "If we have to inconvenience our colleagues to get their attention, so be it."

The House defeated those motions each time, and the number of Democrats voting to adjourn ranged from 51 to 62. But it wasn't clear early Wednesday afternoon how many more protest votes would be demanded.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dems-revolt-on-the-house-floor-ov...

UN policy doesn't apply to US Law... unless it is formalized in a treaty.  DACA is not mentioned in any UN Documentation I can find...

As you mention above, 54 UN DACA docs are not on line... exceptions or could it be they don't exist?

Right sure thing, you have a very nice day Ronald.

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Robert Ariail

Political Cartoons by Tom Stiglich

ALERT ALERT

President Trump Threatens To Close Southern Border 

President Trump issued a blunt warning to Mexico and other Central American nations over their failure to stop illegal migrants and criminal cartels targeting the U.S. southern border, saying he would send the military and shut down the southern border. Trump made his threat in tweet storm Thursday morning in which he said the newly negotiated trade deal with Mexico would take second place to border security.

Over 4,000 migrants are now reported to be in the caravan headed to the U.S.

A horde of thousands migrants from Honduras and other Central American countries on an organized to the U.S. are approaching the Mexican border. Mexico is reportedly sending federal police to stop them.

Over 16,000 illegal alien migrant family units were arrested at the southern border in September.

“I am watching the Democrat Party led (because they want Open Borders and existing weak laws) assault on our country by Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, whose leaders are doing little to stop this large flow of people, INCLUDING MANY CRIMINALS, from entering Mexico to U.S…..

….In addition to stopping all payments to these countries, which seem to have almost no control over their population, I must, in the strongest of terms, ask Mexico to stop this onslaught – and if unable to do so I will call up the U.S. Military and CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!..

….The assault on our country at our Southern Border, including the Criminal elements and DRUGS pouring in, is far more important to me, as President, than Trade or the USMCA. Hopefully Mexico will stop this onslaught at their Northern Border. All Democrats fault for weak laws!”

Donald J. Trump   realDonaldTrump

I am watching the Democrat Party led (because they want Open Borders and existing weak laws) assault on our country by Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, whose leaders are doing little to stop this large flow of people, INCLUDING MANY CRIMINALS, from entering Mexico to U.S.....

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

....In addition to stopping all payments to these countries, which seem to have almost no control over their population, I must, in the strongest of terms, ask Mexico to stop this onslaught - and if unable to do so I will call up the U.S. Military and CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!..

Donald J. Trump  realDonaldTrump

....The assault on our country at our Southern Border, including the Criminal elements and DRUGS pouring in, is far more important to me, as President, than Trade or the USMCA. Hopefully Mexico will stop this onslaught at their Northern Border. All Democrats fault for weak laws!

© 2018   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service