U.S. President Donald Trump’s attempt to strip municipalities of federal dollars for shielding illegal immigrants threatens $2.27 billion in annual funds for the nation’s ten largest cities, a Reuters analysis of federal grants found.
Trump plans to make good on his campaign pledge to block federal funding to states and cities where local law enforcement refuse to report undocumented immigrants they encounter to federal authorities, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said.
“The American people are no longer going to have to be forced to subsidize this disregard for our laws,” Spicer said.
Spicer said an executive order signed by Trump on Wednesday directs the Secretary of Homeland Security to look at federal funding to cities to figure out “how we can defund those streams.”
Mayors and city councils of those cities have said that they will not be pressured to report illegal immigrants to federal agents. For a graphic of risks to sanctuary cities, see: http://tmsnrt.rs/2jSYT4I
While Trump has the authority to cut some kinds of funding to the cities, cuts to other federal funding would require an act of Congress.
Reuters analyzed federal grant records to tally the estimated federal funding at risk among the 10 largest cities which totaled an estimated $2.27 billion.
The total amount remains unclear, as federal money can be filtered through state governments or granted directly to social-service organizations or other groups.
The numbers do not include federal money for law enforcement, which was excluded in the executive order, and programs like Medicaid, which are administered by state governments.
Though details remain vague, the order could jeopardize billions of dollars in housing, health, education and other types of federal aid.
Among the funds at risk are $460 million that the federal government gave out to fund Head Start pre-school programs in the 10 largest ‘sanctuary cities’ in the most recent fiscal year, the analysis found.
Washington also sent $238 million to municipalities to fund airport improvements and $153 million for HIV prevention and relief.
Local governments in Los Angeles County, for example, received $582 million in federal aid in the most recent fiscal year. That aid included $207 million for the Head Start preschool program, $70 million last year for airport improvements, and $114 million for community development funds used for housing and other needs.
Have you seen Mexico's immigration laws ?
Not really but I know this, if you are in Mexico illegally and you get caught, you are most likely going to prison!
We definitely should consider adopting many of their old immigration laws such as:
1. If you legally migrate to this country, you must speak the native language.
2. You have to be a professional or an investor. No unskilled workers allowed.
3. There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools, no special ballots for elections, all government business will be conducted in our language.
4. Foreigners will NOT have the right to vote no matter how long they are here.
5. Foreigners will NEVER be able to hold political office.
6. Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no food stamps, no health care, or other government assistance programs.
7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.
8. If foreigners do come and want to buy land that will be okay, BUT options will be restricted. You are not allowed waterfront property. That is reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.
9. Foreigners may not protest; no demonstrations, no waving a foreign flag, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president or his policies, if you do you will be sent home.
10. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be hunted down and sent straight to jail.
Then why do we keep doing it? If everyone paying federal income tax would demand change, we would get change!
You think a lot of the members on this site haven't been DEMANDING CHANGE? Haven't been writing, calling, emailing representatives, senators, congressmen, governors and DEMANDING CHANGE? And it's gotten WHERE so far?
We need to put this money in some other state who obey the law.
Exactly! The federal government needs to control these renegade states and cities better. The nerve of California, New York, etc to disobey Trump! But I am certain Trump will crush these dissenters and bring them to heel just like he crushed all opponents on the way to the White House. Make America Great Again!
That money can be used to pay for the wall and send them back where they came from.....
Don't be a traitor and find ways for us to pay for the wall. Trump promised that Mexico will pay for the wall and therefore, they will pay. Trump doesn't break promises. Don't turn your back against our great leader already by doubting him!
i wonder where they plan on getting the money...it wont be the government
Stop with the money just send in the Federal Marshals an arrest them.