This Is How Little It Cost Goldman To Bribe America's Senators To Fast Track Obama's TPP Bill

It took just a few days after the stunning defeat of Obama's attempt to fast-track the Trans Pacific Partnership bill in the Senate at the hands of his own Democratic party, before everything returned back to normal and the TPP fast-track was promptly passed. Why? The simple answer: money. Or rather, even more money.

Because while the actual contents of the TPP may be highly confidential, and their public dissemination may lead to prison time for the "perpetrator" of such illegal transparency, we now know just how much it cost corporations to bribe the Senate to do the bidding of the "people." In the Supreme Court sense, of course, in which corporations are "people."

According to an analysis by the Guardian, fast-tracking the TPP, meaning its passage through Congress without having its contents available for debate or amendments, was only possible after lots of corporate money exchanged hands with senators. The US Senate passed Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) – the fast-tracking bill – by a 65-33 margin on 14 May. Last Thursday, the Senate voted 62-38 to bring the debate on TPA to a close.

Those impressive majorities follow months of behind-the-scenes wheeling and dealing by the world’s most well-heeled multinational corporations with just a handful of holdouts.

Using data from the Federal Election Commission, the chart below (based on data from the following spreadsheet) shows all donations that corporate members of the US Business Coalition for TPP made to US Senate campaigns between January and March 2015, when fast-tracking the TPP was being debated in the Senate.

The result: it took a paltry $1.15 million in bribes to get everyone in the Senate on the same page. And the biggest shocker: with a total of $195,550 in "donations", or more than double the second largest donor UPS, was none other than Goldman Sachs.

The summary findings:

• Out of the total $1,148,971 given, an average of $17,676.48 was donated to each of the 65 “yea” votes.
  • The average Republican member received $19,673.28 from corporate TPP supporters.
  • The average Democrat received $9,689.23 from those same donors.

The amounts given rise dramatically when looking at how much each senator running for re-election received.

Two days before the fast-track vote, Obama was a few votes shy of having the filibuster-proof majority he needed. Ron Wyden and seven other Senate Democrats announced they were on the fence on 12 May, distinguishing themselves from the Senate’s 54 Republicans and handful of Democrats as the votes to sway.

• In just 24 hours, Wyden and five of those Democratic holdouts – Michael Bennet of Colorado, Dianne Feinstein of California, Claire McCaskill of Missouri, Patty Murray of Washington, and Bill Nelson of Florida – caved and voted for fast-track.
  • Bennet, Murray, and Wyden – all running for re-election in 2016 – received $105,900 between the three of them. Bennet, who comes from the more purple state of Colorado, got $53,700 in corporate campaign donations between January and March 2015, according to Channing’s research.
  • Almost 100% of the Republicans in the US Senate voted for fast-track – the only two non-votes on TPA were a Republican from Louisiana and a Republican from Alaska.
  • Senator Rob Portman of Ohio, who is the former US trade representative, has been one of the loudest proponents of the TPP. (In a comment to the Guardian Portman’s office said: “Senator Portman is not a vocal proponent of TPP - he has said it’s still being negotiated and if and when an agreement is reached he will review it carefully.”) He received $119,700 from 14 different corporations between January and March, most of which comes from donations from Goldman Sachs ($70,600), Pfizer ($15,700), and Procter & Gamble ($12,900). Portman is expected to run against former Ohio governor Ted Strickland in 2016 in one of the most politically competitive states in the country.

read more:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-30/how-little-it-cost-bribe-s...

Views: 719

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All in gov't including the Pres. should face charges of TREASON and High Crimes and Misdemeanors for failing to OBEY the Constitution. Its job is to control the power of the gov't given to them by the People for the people and not big corps.  " A nation can survive its fools and even its ambitious, BUT it cannot survive TREASON from WITHIN . " Cicero 42 B.C.

Agreed 10000%

No wonder Teddy Cruz voted along with Obama on this one...I'm sure his wife who is a VP at Goldman Sachs forced his hand. Wow, there is not one politician that I trust anymore. They are all either complicit with the one world agenda, have favors they owe, or are being black mailed.

Also, looks like I'm gonna have to write my senator Rob Portman again. First Loretta Lunch vote now this. This guy is a super turd; I wish a conservative would run against him. I can't vote for Ted Strickland, so I will write in Clint Eastwood or John Wayne.

Wait who am I kidding? The way this summer is going, I'm pretty sure 2016 elections are a pipe dream!

What you are not disclosing about Cruz's work against this bill was his attempt to offer an Amendment that would have forced Iran to backtrack on their intent to destroy Israel.  All attempts to offer any amendment were cut off by McConnell. Cruz's wife has taken a leave of absence from her work. In the future expand you scope of criticism that also offers full disclosure. 

Ray Hause,

I'm sorry for not disclosing what you referenced, but I don't understand its relevance.  It's fact that Ted Cruz voted "yea"  to Fast Track Barry's trade authority regarding the TPP.  This means he voted to allow Barry to negotiate the Trans Pacific Partnership trade deal, while Congress CAN'T add any amendments (that is the definition of Fast-Track Authority).  So, if Cruz was fighting so hard for the amendment you referenced, why didn't he vote "nay" to TPA?

As for his wife taking a leave of absence?  Well that would mean she still IS a VP of Goldman Sachs, just not involved in day-to-day operations.  I'm sorry but in this day and age of corruption (article above is just the tip of the iceberg I'm sure), a leave of absence doesn't really ease my mind. 

I know it's hard to accept that our entire political system has been bought and infiltrated by treason, especially when a few of them give GREAT SPEECHES, but that's all it is, a show.  If our Constitution (the most dusty item on Capitol Hill) was still being used, the usurper Barry  would have already been impeached and brought up on charges of high crimes and misdemeanors.

As for the TPP itself?  Well this will most likely (since I haven't read it like the rest of the public and I'm sure most in Congress) provide the final death blow to our middle class and threaten American Sovereignty.  Just study the effects of NAFTA.  Exports slightly increased, while imports into the country have skyrocketed.  Basically, our major corporations will move more factories to places like Vietnam (where they can pay workers $0.73 and hour) to produce their products, and then ship them back to the US.  This will make us even more of a zombie nation: No Production, Only Consumption.  This will break America's back; you think the first quarters GDP of 0.2% was bad, just wait.

God Bless and Good Luck Fellow Patriot

Not a dream, A PAYOFF. ILLEGAL, ILLEGAL, seize their assets and deport them to a third world country.

We live in a time when everything is for sale. And the most willing to sell out is OUR Congress.

Lets just have a New Revolution....overthrow the A-Holes currently running the government and re-institute all the original laws provided in the Bill of Rights the Dec. of Indep. and the Constitution THEN Add to it certain Articles that really do mean something. Hunt down the progressives in our universities and those teaching K-12. Close our borders but have proper Immigration based on our laws not exec orders.

Hang the whole lot.............. and get back to restoration of who and what America really is all about.

TREASON ABOUNDS!!!  IT DANCES TO THE TUNE OF THE FUNDING. I will not donate to any of them.

I just recently saw an article where the country of origin labeling for meat was declined due to it being a barrier to trade... Really? We have to buy this BS with Trade Agreements? We can't know where even our meat comes from? (I avoid eating any meat but my family is eating meat and I am concerned with the lack of transparency in our food supply). I do not buy anything with GMOs. In fact, we have moved back out to the country in order to grow our own food. And LOVE this freedom! I support local organic farms and especially Farmer's Markets. It seems to me that with Corporations establishing their own courts and taxpayers liable for decisions regarding food, etc (even safety related), we are establishing a NWO. I am therefore not surprised that there is a lot of money behind this secret (treasonous) Bill. Ted Cruz is disappointing lately. Rand Paul is becoming more trustworthy. That's my 2 cents.

Goddamn RINOs sold us out AGAIN! When will we EVER learn?

DANGER !!!!

Do Not Enter Washington D. C.

People Who Follow the Law - - End-Up In Jail

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by AF Branco

Political Cartoons by AF Branco

ALERT ALERT

Horrible: Democrats Set The Constitution On Fire With Fraudulent Impeachment

House Democrats unveiled two articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump on Tuesday morning after an investigation that violated fundamental provisions of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

The investigation of the president began with the complaint of a so-called “whistleblower” who turned out to be a rogue Central Intelligence Agency employee, protected by a lawyer who had called for a “coup” against Trump in early 2017.

Democrats first demanded that the “whistleblower” be allowed to testify. But after House Intelligence Committee chair Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) was found to have lied about his committee’s contact with the “whistleblower,” and after details of the “whistleblower’s” bias began to leak, Democrats reversed course. In violation of the President Trump’s Sixth Amendment right to confront his accuser, Democrats refused to allow the “whistleblower” to testify. They argue the president’s procedural rights, even if they existed, would not apply until he was tried in the Senate — but they also invented a fraudulent “right to anonymity” that, they hope, might conceal the whistleblower even then.

Schiff began the “impeachment inquiry” in secret, behind the closed doors of the Sensitive Compartmentalized Information Facility (SCIF) in the basement of the U.S. Capitol, even though none of the testimony was deemed classified. Few members of Congress were allowed access. Schiff allowed selective bits of testimony to leak to friendly media, while withholding transcripts of testimony.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), having allowed the secret process to unfold, legitimized it with a party-line vote authorizing the inquiry. The House resolution denied President Trump the procedural rights enjoyed by Presidents Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton, and denied the minority party the traditional right to object to witnesses called by the majority.

Rather than the House Judiciary Committee, which traditionally handles impeachment, Pelosi also deputized the House Intelligence Committee to conduct fact-finding; the Judiciary Committee was turned into a rubber stamp. Schiff held a few public hearings, but often failed to release transcripts containing exculpatory evidence until after they had passed.

In the course of the Intelligence Committee’s investigation, Schiff quietly spied on the telephone records of his Republican counterpart, Ranking Member Devin Nunes (R-CA). He also snooped on the phone records of a journalist, John Solomon; and on the phone records of former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, acting as President Trump’s personal lawyer.

Schiff’s eavesdropping violated both the First Amendment right to press freedom and the Sixth Amendment right to counsel. Yet he proceeded undeterred by constitutional rights, publishing the phone logs in his committee’s report without warning, confirmation, or explanation, alleging that Nunes and the others were part of a conspiracy to assist the president’s allegedly impeachable conduct. When Republicans on the Judiciary Committee asked the Intelligence Committee’s majority counsel, Daniel Goldman, to explain the phone logs, he refused to answer,

Ironically, Schiff had done exactly what Democrats accuse Trump of doing: abused his power to dig up dirt on political opponents, then obstructed a congressional investigation into his party’s and his committee’s misconduct.

Democrats’ articles of impeachment include one for the dubious charge of “abuse of power,” which is not mentioned in the Constitution; and one for “obstruction of Congress,” which in this case is an abuse of power in itself.

Alexander Hamilton, writing about impeachment in Federalist 65, warned that “there will always be the greatest danger that the decision will be regulated more by the comparative strength of parties, than by the real demonstrations of innocence or guilt.” Democrats have fulfilled Hamilton’s worst fears.

The Trump impeachment will soon replace the 1868 impeachment of President Andrew Johnson — which the House Judiciary Committee staff actually cited as a positive precedent — as the worst in American history.

In service of their “coup,” Democrats have trampled the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The Republic has never been in greater danger.

You don't get to interrupt me

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service