Texas Supreme Court: Gay Couples Have No Inherent Right To Marriage Benefits

Image result for Gay Couples Have No Inherent Right To Marriage Benefits

“The Texas Supreme Court’s decision this morning is a warning shot..."

The Texas Supreme Court ruled unanimously Friday that gay couples have no inherent right to government-funded spousal benefits.

The all-Republican nine-member court ruled that while the U.S. Supreme Court in 2015 legalized same-sex marriage in Obergefell v. Hodges, the “reach and ramifications” of the rights of gay couples are still up in the air.

The nation’s highest court legalized same-sex marriage, but did not detail what additional rights are guaranteed to such couples, according to the Texas court.

Conservative groups applauded the decision, calling it a ruling that protects traditional marriage.

Supporters of gay marriage said the Texas court got it wrong, arguing that the Supreme Court clearly stated that all marriages, traditional and same-sex, must be treated equally.

“The Texas Supreme Court’s decision this morning is a warning shot to all LGBTQ Americans that the war on marriage equality is ever-evolving, and anti-LGBTQ activists will do anything possible to discriminate against our families,” said Sarah Kate Ellis, president of the LGBT advocacy group GLAAD.

The case stemmed from a dispute in 2013, when then-Houston Mayor Annise Parker, the city’s first openly gay mayor, was sued by two local taxpayers for her decision to grant government-subsidized spousal benefits to gay couples who were married in other states.

The two taxpayers, a pastor and a CPA, sued Parker, arguing that no city employees had a “fundamental right” to receive government-funded spousal benefits and that it was “perfectly constitutional” to grant benefits to traditionally married couples and deny them to same-sex couples.

The case appeared to be dead in the water when the state of Texas began extending spousal benefits to same-sex couples after the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage in 2015.

But conservative groups continued to press their case. Pressure by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and Attorney General Ken Paxton led the state’s Supreme Court to re-hear the case in March.

The state court ruling sends the issue back to a Harris County district court, which must consider whether the city of Houston is required to provide spousal benefits to same-sex couples.

“Pidgeon and the mayor, like many other litigants throughout the country, must now assist the courts in fully exploring Obergefell’s reach and ramifications, and are entitled to the opportunity to do so,” Justice Jeffrey Boyd wrote in the Texas court’s decision. “We reverse the court of appeals’ judgment, vacate the trial court’s temporary injunction order.”

Supporters of gay marriage say they will appeal the ruling.

Image result for bible against gay marriage quotes

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aaaannnnnnd—  Just    where   is   the   L A W  that  legalizes same sex marriage?

Where........does the court......have ...legal  jurisdiction  to  write  law????

I'm so sorry, maybe the Constitution was ripped to shreds, in order to make this happen and I missed the whole thing. Because it sure CAN'T happen. No matter WHAT they say, they cannot violate the Law of Nature and Nature's God, PLUS, there IS NO LAW.

But, damnit, there IS DOMA, still in effect. And that pesky 10th A. Oh, well, there is that pesky Art. 1 and that pesky Art. II. Maybe I just don't read write, right?

DUH duh DUH  duh  DUH

That list is soooooooooooo long these days...

Related image

so true, and getting longer and more confusing to the dufuses.

Not so confusing to us, though....

and how did I leave out Art. III, where, no matter how hard I look, I see no jurisdiction for marriage. One way or the other.

Gee.............I wonder why.  Could it be our government has corrupted the Constitution, not to mention the Bible......?

Image result for detective presentermedia animation

Can they really be as ignorant as they seem?

It really does NOT take that long to learn the spirit of the Constitution, or the phrases between each set of commas, kind of like the Bible.

I only read 18 authorized jurisdictions, can they count that high, or WHAT?!

Speaking of ignorant...   This is how dumb some of our high school and/or college kids are.  After heading home from a client one night this week, I decided to stop at Sonic Drive In on the way home and get a burger and onion rings.  When the carhop takes my money, part of my change would have been a dime, and she couldn't get the dimes to come out of the money changer.  And she asks "is it okay if I short you ten cents?  My dimes aren't working".  Course I didn't give a damn about the dime, but I said "You know.....two nickels would equal ten cents".  She stands there thinking about it a minute and then "Oh....uh....yeah, that's right, that works too huh?"        DUH

THAT'S how dumb the future generations are...

Image result for dunce

I remember giving one carhop a bunch of change including pennies. I remember her looking at all of the change, and asking, "Is this exact?"

She had no idea of how to count it.

I have had students in college (community college/2 yr) who did not know how to read a ruler. They said they had never been taught. I kid you not.

I absolutely believe it....after all, many of them aren't teaching cursive anymore, or American history.  Washington Univiersity in it's infinite lack of wisdom and patriotism has decided that history majors don't need to take American History classes...........................HUH?  So how can they be a "major"?

And, I forget who, but I think a guest on Tucker said he had to fight to get the local school board to teach European history. They didn't know jacksquat about England or France.

Not knowing anything about anything leaves them all ripe for takeover.

...........Looking for that instigating culprit?

OH Frank!   I think you've outdone yourself....

“You’d Go To Jail For Contempt”FBI Refuses Order To Produce McCabe Communications

Fox News contributor Sara A. Carter reports that the FBI refuses to produce outgoing FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe’s communications in response to “a government watchdog group that has filed a lawsuit on behalf of a former senior FBI special agent.”

Carter reports:

The communications in question are related to McCabe’s wife’s unsuccessful run for Virginia State senate and might also contain invaluable information on McCabe’s role in the Bureau’s investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private email server used to send classified information, several former FBI sources and a government official told this reporter.

In January, Judicial Watch, a formidable conservative watchdog group based in Washington D.C., filed a lawsuit against the FBI for the communications on behalf of retired FBI Supervisory Special Agent Jeff Danik. Danik spent more than 28 years with the bureau as a supervisor in the counter-terrorism division and special overseas advisor. Danik filed his original Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request in October 2016 for McCabe’s communications.

“They have not produced not one text of McCabe, not one,” said Danik, referencing the bureau. “The government is out of control and it’s astonishing. Do you know what would happen if the government subpoenaed you for information and you didn’t produce records that you had in your possession? You’d go to jail for contempt.”

Carter recently told Fox News host Sean Hannity that Justice Department Inspector General, Michael Horowitz, is investigating whether or not McCabe asked bureau agents to “change their 302s.”

A day after the New York Times reported FBI Director Christopher Wray confronted McCabe over unspecified findings in DOJ Inspector General Michael Horowitz’s report, the Washington Post reveals the embattled bureau official is being probed over his role in examining emails found on former Rep. Anthony Weiner’s laptop.

That’s not all.

Former Secret Service agent Dan Bongino has hinted to his nearly 320,000-strong Twitter followers that the next bombshell to drop could involve McCabe’s mishandling of classified information.

“Here’s the next shoe to drop -> was Andy McCabe using secure comms to send/receive classified information? Someone should check on that,” tweeted Bongino. 

Here’s the next shoe to drop -> was Andy McCabe using secure comms to send/receive classified information? Someone should check on that.

McCabe stepped down January 29th, as first reported by NBC News.

McCabe, who served a brief stint as acting director of the bureau, was already expected to leave. He will stay on “terminal leave” until he is eligible to retire with benefits in March,” reports CNBC.

© 2018   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service