Gun Toting Tea Party mom wins $1.12M for false prosecution

A Long Island mother of three arrested for taking pictures of an Air National Guard base in the Hamptons ​– ​while ​armed to the teeth with a licensed assault rifle in her car — has been awarded ​$1.12 million​ by a federal jury over her false prosecution by Suffolk County authorities.

​The Central Islip ​jury ​on Thursday sided with Nancy Genovese, 58, in a 2010 lawsuit she filed against Suffolk County​, its​ Sheriff’s Office and other parties, ​claiming she was ​only ​arrested during the July 2009 incident because she belonged to the Tea Party.

Genovese was arrested while taking pictures of a decorative helicopter in front of the Gabreski Airport Air National Guard base in Westhampton Beach for a “Support Our Troops” website. She was charged with criminal trespass and spent four days in jail before the charges were dropped.

Southhampton cops searched her and found a legally owned rifle that she was transporting from a nearby rifle range. She contends a deputy sheriff arrived on the scene later and said to her, “I bet you are one of those Tea Party people.” When Genovese said she’s gone to Tea Party rallies, he allegedly said, “You’re a real right-winger, aren’t you?” and “You are a ‘Teabagger’” and then added that she’d be arrested for terrorism to make an example of other “right wingers.”

“Ms. Genovese was subjected to a level of abuse because [authorities] did not share the same political views as she did and saw this as an excuse to deny her even the most basic civil rights,” her lawyer Frederick Brewington said.​​

read more:

http://nypost.com/2014/12/12/tea-party-mom-wins-1-12m-for-false-pro...

Views: 1678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

good for you nancy genovese.don,t let anyone or anything jam unconstitituional actions down your throat.we the people,who are the real government applaud you.god bless all legal american veterans/citizens 

I too am a Teaparty supporter and happen to also be a gun toting senior. Lived in Suffolk County and married in Nassau County and moved once we realized that bat cave dwellers (liberals) were taking over.

I carry a legal 9mm but in those liberal states that disallow reciprocity I am refused to be armed should I travel from my home in Penn to either NY, NJ, Maryland or other liberal bastions. If I travel to those states I am not a constitutional citizen prepared to meet a threat but instead a TARGET.

God bless you lady and enjoy the money and perhaps use it to move to a state that protects our rights under the 2nd amendment.

what do the cops think now that Obama hates them and wants them DEAD Sharpton lead a march in DC chanting kill cops.

Cops where I live KNOW that those like me who carry legally will BACK THEM UP should a threat upon either of us come about. That is a promise not an empty threat.

Now, how can the specific Southhampton cop be punished?

Simply because he DID NOT adhere to the law. This woman was within her rights but the liberals in her area and the police who serve them violated her rights. Period!

Don, I think that is one of the most serious questions that never gets asked.  When folks work for the government, they never seem to have any personal liability for their abuses of their positions, or downright irresponsibility.  With no accountability, you will have abuses.  And the fun fact is, government will never hold itself accountable.  A separate, elected and unpaid panel which is locally elected (not appointed) should be responsible for this.

Unfortunately (at least, in cases like this), Police Officers, while on duty, have 'qualified immunity' against actions taken in performance of their duties.  If they violated department policy they can receive adminstrative punishment (like suspension with/or without pay) but no civil or criminal charges can be brought against them..    

Normally, that is a good thing; because, without it, cops would be faced with lawsuits for doing anything citizens objected to.  In cases of wanton disregard for laaws and rights, it becomes a matter of proving willful disregard for the law - something that is extremely hard to prove and becomes a matter of 'he said, she said.'  All it usually accomplishes is wasting people's time and taxpayers' money - for nothing.

Unfortunately when this is extended to unelected bureaucrats, you end up with poor decisions by irresponsible people.  This, in my opinion, is why NO regulations (which is just another way of saying law) should be passed or enforceable by ANY unelected official.  And NO official who is not directly affected by the legislation should EVER be permitted to pass said legislation.  It is irresponsible and immoral on every level.

I hope the police were held personally liable as well as the taxpayers who actually pay their salaries as well as the damages.

Movinjg out of the northeast would be priority number one whether I won that money or not... I couldnt imagine living under those taxes, those prices, the nanny state and damn sure couldnt imagine being surrounded by that many Liberals everyday of life.  Talk about a depressing feeling.

Merry Christmas to ALL.

I completely understand what you mean, and directly share your frustration.  I just hate the idea of surrendering anything to the liberals.  They won't stop if you run, they will come where you are and try to corrupt your home town too.  We need to meet them with equal ferocity and unwavering resolve wherever they are.

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Tom Stiglich

Political Cartoons by AF BrancoPolitical Cartoons by AF Branco

ALERT ALERT

JUST IN->  Pelosi Announces House Resolution To Condemn Trump’s ‘Racist, Xenophobic Tweets’

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) announced Monday that Democrats will offer a resolution condemning President Donald Trump’s “racist” tweets against Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Ilhan Omar (D-MN).

Pelosi wrote a letter to House Democrats announcing that they will draft a resolution to condemn Trump’s “racist” tweets against progressive Democrats.

“This weekend, the President went beyond his own low standards using disgraceful language about Members of Congress,” Speaker Nancy Pelosi wrote.

“This morning, the President doubled down on his attacks on our four colleagues suggesting they apologize to him,” she added. “Let me be clear, our Caucus will continue to forcefully respond to these disgusting attacks.”

President Trump taunted the “squad” of far-left first-term progressive Democrats on Sunday, telling them to go back and fix the places they came from before telling the rest of the country what to do.

Trump’s tweets caused an uproar amongst the media and Hollywood celebrity classes, and now, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D–TX) hopes to capitalize on the president’s message by condemning them in Congress.

Lee said she will draft a resolution of condemnation.

“Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee will be drafting a Resolution of Condemnation for the words used by President Trump about four members of the House of Representatives over the weekend,” Jackson Lee’s office wrote:

Sheila Jackson Lee  @JacksonLeeTX18

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee will be drafting a Resolution of Condemnation for the words used by President Trump about four members of the House of Representatives over the weekend.

Donald J. Trump  @realDonaldTrump

So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly......

So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly......

....and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how....

....and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how....

....it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!

President Trump’s remarks seemed particularly directed at Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN), who is a former Somalian refugee.

Omar said Friday that the president “shouldn’t be in office” and told an audience of high school students that America was failing to uphold its promise to be a just society.

Rep. Omar said Trump was “stoking white nationalism” after he tweeted that some progressive congresswomen should “go back” to where they came from.

“You are stoking white nationalism because you are angry that people like us are serving in Congress and fighting against your hate-filled agenda,” Omar wrote:

Ilhan Omar  @IlhanMN

As Members of Congress, the only country we swear an oath to is the United States.

Which is why we are fighting to protect it from the worst, most corrupt and inept president we have ever seen. https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1150381394234941448 

Ilhan Omar  @IlhanMN

You are stoking white nationalism bc you are angry that people like us are serving in Congress and fighting against your hate-filled agenda.

“America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.” -RFK

Rep. Ocasio-Cortez claimed Monday that President Trump’s remarks serve as the “hallmark language of white supremacists.”

President Trump tweeted Monday that Democrats need to apologize for the “foul language” and “terrible things they have said”:

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

When will the Radical Left Congresswomen apologize to our Country, the people of Israel and even to the Office of the President, for the foul language they have used, and the terrible things they have said. So many people are angry at them & their horrible & disgusting actions!

If Democrats want to unite around the foul language & racist hatred spewed from the mouths and actions of these very unpopular & unrepresentative Congresswomen, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I can tell you that they have made Israel feel abandoned by the U.S.

SPECIAL VIDEOS

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service