Supreme Court: Sorry Officer, you need a warrant for that!

Cellphones and smartphones generally cannot be searched by police without a warrant during arrests, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously Wednesday in a major victory for privacy rights.

Ruling on two cases from California and Massachusetts, the justices acknowledged both a right to privacy and a need to investigate crimes. But they came down squarely on the side of privacy rights.

"Modern cellphones, as a category, implicate privacy concerns far beyond those implicated by the search of a cigarette pack, a wallet or a purse," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court.

POLL:  Will the Islamic Jihadists attack in the United States?

"We cannot deny that our decision today will have an impact on the ability of law enforcement to combat crime," he said. "Privacy comes at a cost."

The justices struck down an extensive smartphone search in California that had been upheld by the state Court of Appeals, as well as a more limited probe of an old flip-top cellphone in Massachusetts that a federal judge already had thrown out.

Currently, police can search a person under arrest and whatever physical items are within reach to find weapons and preserve evidence that might be destroyed. But the justices noted that vast amounts of sensitive data on modern smartphones raise new privacy concerns that differentiate them from other items.

read more:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/25/supreme-court-...

Views: 575

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about that !!!! Finally some good 'common sense' Law Ruling

Yes victory!

AMEN TO THAT....FINALLY SOME JUSTICE...

That's a start, but, what about busting people's doors down, shooting unarmed, innocent people, taking their private possessions and scrutinizing it to the Nth degree? What about traffic stops, guilty until proven innocent, attacking people, maiming, shooting sometimes, searching cars, tearing the upholstery to shreds and then find nothing and say, Oh, we're sorry, Yeah, of course you are. Admitting to one little right and let's see how long that is obeyed. It's a façade, a crying shame and disgrace of what this country has morphed into. If you had the ability, by the Grace of God, to die for a year and be able to come back to Earth with all your senses and memories, you would not know this country or recognize anything that takes place, You would ask God to take you back from where you came, assuming it was Heaven. That's how fast this country is on the roller coaster of radical change. Some of it is just too mind boggling.

There should be a law passed that when they destroy the interior of a car or anything else, they should be made to fix or replace whatever they destroy...And then made to publicly say they are sorry for the mistakes they made...That would make them think twice...they hate to say they are sorry for anything...

Take that obama and stick that up your Muslim

YES, victory.

I'm sorry, but, I don't call that much of a victory. I think there some valid points to refute that as being a victory. You need to read about some of the things that are taking place in this country. Yes, a victory for a cell phone user, what about all the other rights we are supposed to be endowed with?

How about people uniting and FIGHTING for those right as was done here? People want things done, but always want someone else to do it!

William, you are right...It needs to go a lot further in making sure ALL OUR RIGHTS are addressed and there are already laws in place, they just need to be enforced...It's called the CONSTITUTION AND THE BILL OF RIGHTS...

ah forgot to copy and so all was erased. Does anyone get a red dot of about an inch in diameter when they open their website? i was getting this on jest Explorer and now on the others! Oh oh, I have been tagged as an honorable real American!!!

That happened to a guy I know. He hasn't been seen for awhile. :-)

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Gary Varvel

Political Cartoons by AF Branco

ALERT ALERT

Joe Biden Vows: Give Taxpayer-Funded Obamacare To All Illegal Aliens In U.S.

Former Vice President and 2020 Democrat presidential primary candidate Joe Biden is vowing to give Obamacare, funded by American taxpayers, to all 11 to 22 million illegal aliens living in the United States.

During an interview with Telemundo’s Jose Diaz-Balart, Biden forgot that Obamacare technically bans illegal aliens from enrolling in healthcare plans — although illegal aliens are still able to obtain subsidized and free healthcare at Americans’ expense — and promised that under his plan, all 11 to 22 million illegal aliens would be able to get Obamacare.

The exchange went as follows:

DIAZ-BALART: When I … NBC moderated that first debate with you, I didn’t … I don’t recall a clear answer, under your plan should … would the 11, 12 million undocumented immigrants that live in the United States, that have been here many for generations, would they have access …

BIDEN: Yes.

DIAZ-BALART: — to health insurance.

BIDEN: Yes, they … if they can buy into the system like everybody else.

DIAZ-BALART: Because you know, in [Obamacare] they can’t.

BIDEN: Yeah. Yeah, I know. Well they can, that’s my point. They continue to be able to do that.

DIAN-BALART: They cannot under the ObamaCare.

BIDEN: Well and that’s my point, they will though. They will be able to buy into … [illegal aliens] would be able to buy in, just like anyone else could.

Biden joins Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), and South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg — among other 2020 Democrats — in committing to forcing American taxpayers to pay for healthcare for illegal aliens who arrive in the U.S.

Already, due to loopholes, American taxpayers are spending nearly $20 billion every year to provide illegal aliens with subsidized healthcare, emergency room visits, and other health services.

Under the 2020 Democrats’ plan to provide taxpayer-funded healthcare to all illegal aliens living in the U.S., Americans would be billed potentially $660 billion every decade just to cover the costs. Other research has found that the plan would cost Americans at least $23 billion every year.

As Breitbart News has reported, experts have said that giving taxpayer-funded healthcare to effectively all foreign nationals who can make it to America’s borders would drive “strong incentives for people with serious health problems to enter the country or remain longer than their visas allow in order to get government-funded care.”

Despite 2020 Democrats’ continued push for taxpayer-funded healthcare for illegal aliens, American voters are overwhelmingly opposed to the plan. The latest Wall Street Journal/NBC News survey revealed that the healthcare-for-illegal-aliens plan is the least popular policy position, with opposition from 62 percent of U.S. voters.

Similarly, a CNN poll from July discovered that 63 percent of likely swing voters oppose providing healthcare to illegal aliens, along with nearly 6-in-10 of all likely U.S. voters and 61 percent of moderates. A Rasmussen Reports survey also found that likely voters, by a majority of 55 percent, oppose giving healthcare to even the most low-income illegal aliens.

Infantilization of Popular Culture

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service