WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday ruled that a town in upstate New York did not violate the Constitution by starting its public meetings with a prayer from a “chaplain of the month” who was almost always Christian.

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, writing for the majority in a 5-to-4 decision that divided the court’s more conservative members from its liberal ones, said the prayers were merely ceremonial. They were neither unduly sectarian nor likely to make members of other faiths feel unwelcome.

Poll: Should the United States get out of the UN?

“Ceremonial prayer,” he wrote, “is but a recognition that, since this nation was founded and until the present day, many Americans deem that their own existence must be understood by precepts far beyond that authority of government to alter or define.”

In dissent, Justice Elena Kagan said the town’s practices could not be reconciled “with the First Amendment’s promise that every citizen, irrespective of her religion, owns an equal share of her government.”

read the rest at the following link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/06/nyregion/supreme-court-allows-pra...

Views: 429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Carolina it is said you God created everything. Well he created human problems. And hate.

Yes, I do believe God created everything, the good, bad, love and hate, beauty and ugliness and everything in between.

I don't know what brought you to you current place in time but I do know my own journey.  It has been filled with a lot of abuse, pain, heartache and loss. Before I came to realize that the only one I could really trust in life was God and Jesus Christ, I trusted no one.

I used to ask God why such awful things were happening to me, as a child, a young women and an adult.  I no longer ask God "why" but I have learned to ask "what"?  What do you want me to learn from this Lord? How can I serve you better Lord? When will you allow me to use these experiences to help others?

We might all go through difficult and painful experiences and we can either become bitter, hide away and not let others into our life or we can say, this really stinks but I bet I'm not the only one going through it, perhaps I can help someone else get through it too.

As a result, I spent over 30 yrs. working in Human Services in such areas as Battered Women, Abused Children, Mental Health, Developmental and Physical disabilities, Teen Parenting, Working with the Homeless, the elderly and even little babies. 

My work was demanding and difficult and I loved every moment of it.  I often worked 60 to 80 hours per week even though I was only paid for 40. I volunteered my free time, what there was of it.  I raised my own two children and 6 other children through this time and always as a single parent.  So you can say I paid some dues in life.  While I might make some better choices than I did, for the most part I would do it over again.  There is no glory in what I did, the glory belongs to God, for all along the way, He was there, even when I didn't want Him to be or didn't believe He was.

From my perspective, having a relationship with God does not mean you will not have pain, sorrow, loss or difficulties because you most likely will experience such things.  Having a relationship with God means that you can use that experience to do good.  And I have also figured out that even when I was rejecting God in my life and making some bad choices, He was there watching over and protecting me more than I realized.  You see, God's existence is not contingent on our belief one way or another, but the level of joy, peace, comfort, encouragement and blessings we are open to receive from Him, just might be.

I can say this too, if I am wrong and there is no God or heaven or after life, so what.  It will be over, the end, fine, nothing and no more, Oh well.  But if non-believers are wrong and there is a God, heaven and eternity to deal with, I would not want to be the one who said he denies God and Jesus Christ.  I believe the Bible is God's word and it says that the rejection of Jesus will result in separation from God and doom someone to hell.  I will take God and heaven any day over hell and Jesus Christ is the only way as far as I am concerned. 

God gave us all free will and we can believe as we wish but remember life has consequences for our choices. Use your free will wisely.

I know there are good Christians but I see there are a lot of bad Christian apples out there. Some of you have proven that. It is the bad Christians that makes the good ones look bad.

We have a Godless president and he is trying to make this a Godless country.Over 200 yrs God has blessed this country and this communist in the oval office is trying to unravel our entire country.Congress is not stopping him and his minions so it looks like the people will have too.

Meditation for the Day:
In material things, you must rely on your own wisdom and that of others. In spiritual things', you can not rely so much on your own wisdom as on God's guidance. In dealing with personalities, it is a mistake to step out too much on your own. You must try to be guided by God in all human relationships. You cannot accomplish much of value in dealing with people until God knows you are ready. You alone do not have the power or wisdom to put things right between people. You must rely on God to help you in these vital matters.

Let's keep the Christian God out of all Government. If they allow the Christian God they should allow Lucifer in. And other gods or goddesses from all religions. Not just Christians. Christians got to know YOU DO NOT CONTROL THE WORLD AND NEVER WILL. I when Christian want their God and only their God. That is hate to not allow other gods or goddesses in. If my God is not welcomed then the Christian God should not be welcomed rather. HOLYROLLER push their God to hard on other's. I do very well with out the Christian God in my life. Threw darkness I have hope. T.L.H.P. DCLXVI

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Mike LesterPolitical Cartoons by Gary Varvel

Political Cartoons by Pat Cross

ALERT ALERT

New York's Green Light Law - Allows Illegal Aliens To Get Driver’s Licenses

New York passed a law to allow illegal immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses earlier this year but it was held up by challenges.

Now it is set to take effect this week.

In typical leftist fashion, supporters claim this is going to somehow make New York’s roads safer for everyone.

Could it really be about voting?

FOX News reports:

Illegal immigrants to be able to get driver’s licenses in NY after legal challenge fails.

Illegal immigrants in New York will able to obtain driver’s licenses starting next week after a last-minute legal challenge was dismissed — making it the 13th state to allow the practice, but one that critics say is unconstitutional.

The Green Light Law, signed by Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo earlier this year, allows anyone to apply for a driver’s license regardless of immigration status and does not require a Social Security number.

Illegal immigrants can use a combination of documents that include a valid passport from a foreign country and a valid foreign driver’s license, as long as it has been expired for less than two years.

“After waiting 18 years to have their right to drive restored, thanks to our legislature, New York can now officially join 12 other states in making driver’s licenses legally available to all residents,” New York Immigration Coalition Executive Director Steve Choi said in a statement this week, arguing that it will make roads safer and the economy stronger.

County clerks in New York have concerns and are sounding an alarm.

CBS News in Albany reports:

County clerks concerned by loopholes in Green Light law.

Undocumented immigrants now have the green light to get a driver’s license in New York…but several county clerks in the Capital Region are concerned.

Saratoga County Clerk Craig Hayner said, “We found that everything we were concerned about as far as fraud and all sorts of other things are in that bill, in that regulation and we’re very concerned.”

Hayner tells CBS6’s Lynsey Smith there are a few loopholes in the Green Light Law.

Loopholes, such as a person coming in to get their license and not having to provide their social security number.

“That could lead to criminals coming from other states, coming in and use that as a way to defraud by just simply saying they don’t have a social security number…and that’s a very dangerous loophole,” replied Hayner.

Does anyone believe this is going to make New York safer or that this is really about driving?

Delusional Democrats

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service