Students, Professors to UVa President: Stop Quoting Thomas Jefferson

Image result for thomas jeffersonThe University of Virginia's president is facing a backlash from teachers and students alike after quoting the school's founder — former President Thomas Jefferson — in an email urging students to unite after last week's divisive presidential election.

"Thomas Jefferson wrote to a friend that University of Virginia students 'are not of ordinary significance only: they are exactly the persons who are to succeed to the government of our country, and to rule its future enmities, its friendships and fortunes,'" university president Teresa Sullivan wrote in the email, according to the Cavalier Daily, the school's student newspaper. "I encourage today's U.Va. students to embrace that responsibility."

Some professors objected to the quote since Jefferson owned slaves and held "other racist beliefs," the paper reported.

"We would like for our administration to understand that although some members of this community may have come to this university because of Thomas Jefferson's legacy, others of us came here in spite of it," they wrote. "For many of us, the inclusion of Jefferson quotations in these e-mails undermines the message of unity, equality and civility that you are attempting to convey."

read more::

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/university-of-virginia-thomas-jeff...

Views: 418

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sometimes I feel like I need to go on medications so I can slap stupid people and blame it on the side effects!

what unity, equality and vicility????????????????????

The brainwashing is in place by the far left agenda to remove our true history and replace it with there own version of the history. There goal Is to rewrite our true foundation and build it on sand. Parents need to rethink college today for there children if they really want them to succeed in life. Trump is surely right when he said we were once a great Nation, and it can be again. The foundation has got to be laid in bedrock and start to build again. Our col

These cretins need to stop playing with their navel punk and get a life. I swear, they are going to need diapers and pacifiers soon if they regress any further. I have a toddler great grandson sharper than these clowns.

They called Jefferson  a racist , but Robert Byrd was a member of the KKK and he use to hang blacks. The demorats think what he did was  the thing at the time. But if anybody else non democrat, would have done it well they would be racist.  The demogoons knows this but they want to be a**holes and deny it.

When Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence he included a section which would ban slavery in the new country and guaranteed the full freedom of blacks and whites. This section was deleted by the other three men appointed to write this declaration because they thought it would be too divisive. Jefferson was not a racist and only owned slaves because he inherited them and since the law did not allow blacks at that time to be free and remain in Virginia, he knew they would have no place to live. Anyone who accuses Jefferson of racism has not done their research or is intentionally lying. And any professor who makes such a false accusation against him should be fired from their position immediately.

If you doubt what I have said look it up and you will see that it is the truth.

]

I don't think any of these idiots could begin to match up to Jefferson!

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Tom StiglichPolitical Cartoons by AF Branco

Political Cartoons by AF Branco

ALERT ALERT

Joe Biden On Violence Against Women:   We Have To Keep ‘Punching At It, And Punching At It, And Punching At It’

The audience laughed as he said this.

Former Vice President Joe Biden said that America needs to be “punching” back to combat violence against women during Wednesday’s Democratic debate.

Biden was asked if he would tackle specific issues regarding the #MeToo movement at the beginning of his presidency, if he were to be elected. The former vice president previously sponsored the 1994 Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which aimed to protect victims of domestic violence.

The presidential candidate responded to the question about assaulting women by using the phrase “punching” repeatedly, apparently not thinking about the implications of using such a word.

“No man has a right to raise a hand to a woman in anger other than in self-defense, and that rarely ever occurs,” Biden said. “So we have to just change the culture, period, and keep punching at it and punching at it and punching at it. No, I really mean it.”

A few people laughed in the audience as he said this.

Biden added that it is important to pass the Violence Against Women Act, which has passed in the House and held up in the Senate. The former Vice President also suggested that America has to “fundamentally change the culture” of how women are treated, noting that it is “everyone’s responsibility.”

“It’s a gigantic issue, and we have to make it clear from the top, from the president on down that we will not tolerate it,” Biden said. “We will not tolerate this culture.”

Tucker's big takeaways from the Trump impeachment saga

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service