San Antonio Woman Fined $2000 For Feeding The Homeless

Based on the newsflow in the last few weeks, Americans must increasingly consider themselves lucky just to avoid getting shot in the back or being run over by trigger-happy, heavily armed officers of the law. Unfortunately while we (hope we) mostly jest, the reality is that America has quietly turned into a heavily weaponized police state right under everyone's noses. A police state in which one doesn't have to be considered even a remote threat by the authorities to suffer. Consider the completely innocuous act of feeding the homeless, with a permit, which as San Antonio philanthropist Joan Cheever, founder of the nonprofit food truck, the Chow Train, discovered last week was enough to get her ticketed and fined $2000 for feeding the homeless.

What is strange is that neither was this the first time she had acted generously toward the homeless, nor the first time the local police were aware of her actions: for the past 10 years, Cheever has devoted her Tuesday nights to providing hot, restaurant-quality meals to homeless people in the downtown area. SAPD officers would routinely pass by and wave. Often, she jokingly asked if they planned to arrest her, and they laughed. She was profiled on Rachel Ray's cooking show for her charitable efforts.

But everything changed last Tuesday when he got a citation which carries a fine up to $2000 issued by four San Antonio Police Department bike-patrol officers.

According to the San Antonio Express News, while Cheever was in Maverick Park serving a meal that included lamb meatballs, spaghetti, a garden salad and a vegetable soup, SAPD officers cited her for violating the city code, because she transported the food to the park in a vehicle other than the mobile truck for which she has a food permit.

"I told the officer that we cook dinner in the truck and then we put it in health-department-approved catering equipment, like every caterer or restaurant-delivery service in this town, and then serve it. And he said, 'You can’t do that.’" 

David Martin Davies, host of “The Source” on Texas Public Radio, witnessed and recorded Cheever’s Tuesday night encounter with the police officers. 

“She seemed aware going into it that there was a change in the way the police were acting, and something like this might be coming,” Davies said, adding, “She’s unabashed. She’s not going to back down.”

Cheever is scheduled to go before Municipal Court on June 23, but she remained defiant after receiving the citation, arguing that under the 1999 Texas Religious Freedom Restoration Act, she has a right to serve food to the homeless because she considers it a free exercise of her religion. 

read more:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-04-16/san-antonio-woman-fined-20...

Views: 561

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your government in action. Aren't they wonderful?

The ignorance of the people is beyond belief. Some us us have been trying to inform people that USA was becoming a police state under liberal control. Voters seem to keep voting for the crooks year after year, WHY. A five year old knows that Obama and his liberals want America dead and they are right on track to do it. Americans have sold out their country-family-friends-God and what have they gotten in return. America is doomed to become a third world country and people are to stupid to see it. After the fall who will feed all liberals? Don't look my way as I know my enemies.

For those of you who live in North Carolina next time vote for Pattie Curran. She's been interviewed multi times by Fox News (no one else will) she's been interviewed protesting in D.C. She's gone to senator's & congress peoples offices. We protested the local I.R.S. together with our local Tea Party. She's heavily involved with our local Tea Party. She's 100% against our dictator, obamacare to name a few. She's an army vet. who still carries, so you know she's pro 2nd amendment. She's running against Congresswomen Virgina Foxx who has turned into a RINO

Thank You for your time

A nonpaid political  announcement by me.

Go get those overpaid and overfed bureaucrats.  Sue the city for allowing starvation of its homeless residents.  That is criminal and smacks of the current marxist state that the WH is trying to build.

She is correct in her reasoning. However, the city may have her on a technically. Depending on how one looks at her permit. This is not the first time something like this has happen or the first city.

Why now, after all this time???

Jo  it is very simple, Obama is doing little things here and there to find his greatest resistance.

It just gets better and better everyday.  Gun Up America.

Why are we waiting until our backs against the wall? After we are corralled it will be over. The time to act is now. We the people have sold out our country-family-friends and God and what did it get us? Those Americans that can't see what is happening I have no sympathy for and will not help when the ball drops on us.

Wink, there is way to much happening. I, liike you believe it is a practice run to see how we will react. Lets look at the chopper that landed in DC the other day. I really believe that is all part of something bigger. If he could do it,how many other can do it. 

There is an ole saying there is three of you and one of me. But guess, what I know I can get two of you before you get me. Think how much damage 4 such landing could do at night.

IF THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH  IT. THEY WILL STOP US FROM HELPING EACH OTHER  !!  TRYING TO BRING US UNDER THEIR CONTROL !!   WE NEED TO STAND TOGETHER AND GIVE EACH OTHER SUPPORT IN ANYWAY WE CAN !!!!!!    SINCE WHEN HAS IT BECME A SIN OR A CRIME TO HELP SOMEONE IN AMERICA ????????   

When the dictator moved into the white house.  But it has been going on now for over 50 years.

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Tom StiglichPolitical Cartoons by AF Branco

Political Cartoons by Gary Varvel

ALERT ALERT

“And You’re Their Star Witness?” – Boom! “And You’re Their Star Witness?” – Boom! Jim Jordan Rips To Shreds Schiff’s Star Witness Anti-Trumper Ambassador Taylor 

BOOM! Jim Jordan just destroyed Schiff’s star witness Ambassador Taylor.

“I’ve seen church prayer chains that are easier to understand than this!” — Rep. Jim Jordan.

OMG! SOOOOOO GOOD!

Jim Jordan got Ambassador Taylor to admit that everything he has said in his testimony is based on second-hand, third-hand and fourth-hand information!

Jordan Sounds Off

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service