RUSH INTRODUCTION: My father, Rush H. Limbaugh, Jr., delivered this oft-requested address locally a number of times, but it had never before appeared in print until it was published in The Limbaugh Letter. My dad was renowned for his oratory skills and for his original mind; this speech is, I think, a superb demonstration of both. I will always be grateful to him for instilling in me a passion for the ideas and lives of America's Founders, as well as a deep appreciation for the inspirational power of words, which you will see evidenced here:

"Our Lives, Our Fortunes, Our Sacred Honor"

It was a glorious morning. The sun was shining and the wind was from the Southeast. Up especially early, a tall bony, redheaded young Virginian found time to buy a new thermometer, for which he paid three pounds, fifteen shillings. He also bought gloves for Martha, his wife, who was ill at home.

Thomas Jefferson arrived early at the statehouse. The temperature was 72.5 degrees and the horseflies weren't nearly so bad at that hour. It was a lovely room, very large, with gleaming white walls. The chairs were comfortable. Facing the single door were two brass fireplaces, but they would not be used today.

The moment the door was shut, and it was always kept locked, the room became an oven. The tall windows were shut, so that loud quarreling voices could not be heard by passersby. Small openings atop the windows allowed a slight stir of air, and also a large number of horseflies. Jefferson records that "the horseflies were dexterous in finding necks, and the silk of stockings was nothing to them." All discussing was punctuated by the slap of hands on necks.

On the wall at the back, facing the president's desk, was a panoply -- consisting of a drum, swords, and banners seized from Fort Ticonderoga the previous year. Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold had captured the place, shouting that they were taking it "in the name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress!"

Now Congress got to work, promptly taking up an emergency measure about which there was discussion but no dissension. "Resolved: That an application be made to the Committee of Safety of Pennsylvania for a supply of flints for the troops at New York."

POLL: Vote and Share!

In your opinion, does Congress act in the best interest of the American citizens?

Then Congress transformed itself into a committee of the whole. The Declaration of Independence was read aloud once more, and debate resumed. Though Jefferson was the best writer of all of them, he had been somewhat verbose. Congress hacked the excess away. They did a good job, as a side-by-side comparison of the rough draft and the final text shows. They cut the phrase "by a self-assumed power." "Climb" was replaced by "must read," then "must" was eliminated, then the whole sentence, and soon the whole paragraph was cut. Jefferson groaned as they continued what he later called "their depredations." "Inherent and inalienable rights" came out "certain unalienable rights," and to this day no one knows who suggested the elegant change.

A total of 86 alterations were made. Almost 500 words were eliminated, leaving 1,337. At last, after three days of wrangling, the document was put to a vote.

Here in this hall Patrick Henry had once thundered: "I am no longer a Virginian, sir, but an American." But today the loud, sometimes bitter argument stilled, and without fanfare the vote was taken from north to south by colonies, as was the custom. On July 4, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was adopted.

There were no trumpets blown. No one stood on his chair and cheered. The afternoon was waning and Congress had no thought of delaying the full calendar of routine business on its hands. For several hours they worked on many other problems before adjourning for the day.
Much To Lose

What kind of men were the 56 signers who adopted the Declaration of Independence and who, by their signing, committed an act of treason against the crown? To each of you, the names Franklin, Adams, Hancock and Jefferson are almost as familiar as household words. Most of us, however, know nothing of the other signers. Who were they? What happened to them?

I imagine that many of you are somewhat surprised at the names not there: George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, Patrick Henry. All were elsewhere.

Ben Franklin was the only really old man. Eighteen were under 40; three were in their 20s. Of the 56 almost half - 24 - were judges and lawyers. Eleven were merchants, nine were landowners and farmers, and the remaining 12 were doctors, ministers, and politicians.

With only a few exceptions, such as Samuel Adams of Massachusetts, these were men of substantial property. All but two had families. The vast majority were men of education and standing in their communities. They had economic security as few men had in the 18th Century.

Each had more to lose from revolution than he had to gain by it. John Hancock, one of the richest men in America, already had a price of 500 pounds on his head. He signed in enormous letters so that his Majesty could now read his name without glasses and could now double the reward. Ben Franklin wryly noted: "Indeed we must all hang together, otherwise we shall most assuredly hang separately."

Fat Benjamin Harrison of Virginia told tiny Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts: "With me it will all be over in a minute, but you, you will be dancing on air an hour after I am gone."

These men knew what they risked. The penalty for treason was death by hanging. And remember, a great British fleet was already at anchor in New York Harbor.
They were sober men. There were no dreamy-eyed intellectuals or draft card burners here. They were far from hot-eyed fanatics yammering for an explosion. They simply asked for the status quo. It was change they resisted. It was equality with the mother country they desired. It was taxation with representation they sought. They were all conservatives, yet they rebelled.

read more here: http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/pages/static/my_father_s_speech

Views: 4350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, no need to commit on this article. Someone else has said it better than most of us could. The problem I see 250 + years later, is that NO ONE wants to sacrifice anything and are willing to sit by and let the other guy make the sacrifices that would be necessary to save this once great nation. When the majority of American's are more worried about their reality shows and Dancing With The Stars, then who and what is destroying the very fiber of this country, it is a sad day for all of us. The above mentioned men NO longer exist and when our retired military leaders say that the actions of militia's and us fighting like out forefathers did is NOT recommended because we are "out manned and out gunned"? And if you are willing to wait for "fair, honest, open, elections" just look at the mess in Mississippi! More corruption, bribes, payoffs, intimidation, were doe's it end.  And mean while the destruction goes on, unabated, and what will there be left for our children and grandchildren? And how about the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, when will the attacks stop on our founding documents? And what about the sacrifices all those young men have made since the civil war? We have fought two world wars, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and we say "we have no desire, leadership, weapons, knowledge, logistics, to take back our country? So, I guess we take the cowards way out, and ballot ourselves out of mess WE created. Just remember the idiots in Washington were ELECTED by us the American Voters. So who ever phrased the expression, "A country founded by geniuses, but run be idiots" is right on the money. So if you don't believe in "lock and load" than hang on, it is going to be a bumpy and brutal ride. And when your backs are against the wall remember that the longer any army or combat force waits, the stronger the enemy becomes and the more destruction he makes.  Gen. George S. Patton knew this, that is why ole "blood and guts" drove his men so hard. Shorten the war, and save lives. 

Great comment Robert.

GOD Bless the USA.

Barfly obama has no sacred honor to risk. Wouldn't it be ironic if the criminals he is letting in gave him a fatal disease of some sort? Not that any of us wish him ill, of course.

You mean sort of like the days before Pearl Harbor? The gathering storm in Europe? The old from the frying pan into the fire...Well the way I see it is this: One way or the other we have NO choice but save this nation.  With out the United States what becomes of the rest of the FREE world? Is this what so many of our uncles and grandparents or ever parents fought and died for. The destruction of our country and our American way of life! And isn't just the idiots in Washington.  How about some of these nit wits we have for judges in these lower courts? Telling American teenagers they cannot wear American Flag "T" shirts because it might offend some illegal foreigner. Just what the hell country do this idiots think we live in. A veteran cannot fly the flag in his own apartment complex. It will be a cold day in hell when some moron tells me I cannot fly the American Flag in America.....this is not just impeachable, it is down right "treason" from the courts on up. 

We need a New Declaration of Independence, and soon...

There has been a New Declaration going around the internet for over a month now that I have been promoting because of what it states. You can read it here... www.newfreedom2014.com Just so you know, I did NOT write the New Declaration at the NewFreedom2014.com It was sent to me one night by an unknown Author, but I found myself being a volunteer for this cause without even knowing who the brilliant mind was behind it. I became a willing volunteer after I read the document all the way through... on three separate occasions. All I ask is that people read it carefully and if you agree with what it states, then sign the Petition. I would also appreciate people to pass this along to other friends of Freedom!  

Just as We The People were forced to throw-off an abusive Government back in 1776 with our original Declaration of Independence, the time has come in 2014 for us to do it again. This time the government being charged with abusing it's power is our own so we must act fast to fix it. That's why we need to start with a clean slate, while keeping our Constitution and Bill of Rights as is. All this talk of an Article V Convention to make changes to the Constitution is dangerous. Here's all the proof I need... George Soros is bankrolling eight different non-profit groups here in the USA, for the singular goal of PUSHING FOR an Article V Convention! We must leave our Constitution intact if we are to survive as a beacon of freedom.

God Bless America.

www.newfreedom2014.com

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Michael Ramirez

Political Cartoons by AF BrancoPolitical Cartoons by Michael Ramirez

ALERT ALERT

JUST IN->  Pelosi Announces House Resolution To Condemn Trump’s ‘Racist, Xenophobic Tweets’

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) announced Monday that Democrats will offer a resolution condemning President Donald Trump’s “racist” tweets against Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Ilhan Omar (D-MN).

Pelosi wrote a letter to House Democrats announcing that they will draft a resolution to condemn Trump’s “racist” tweets against progressive Democrats.

“This weekend, the President went beyond his own low standards using disgraceful language about Members of Congress,” Speaker Nancy Pelosi wrote.

“This morning, the President doubled down on his attacks on our four colleagues suggesting they apologize to him,” she added. “Let me be clear, our Caucus will continue to forcefully respond to these disgusting attacks.”

President Trump taunted the “squad” of far-left first-term progressive Democrats on Sunday, telling them to go back and fix the places they came from before telling the rest of the country what to do.

Trump’s tweets caused an uproar amongst the media and Hollywood celebrity classes, and now, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D–TX) hopes to capitalize on the president’s message by condemning them in Congress.

Lee said she will draft a resolution of condemnation.

“Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee will be drafting a Resolution of Condemnation for the words used by President Trump about four members of the House of Representatives over the weekend,” Jackson Lee’s office wrote:

Sheila Jackson Lee  @JacksonLeeTX18

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee will be drafting a Resolution of Condemnation for the words used by President Trump about four members of the House of Representatives over the weekend.

Donald J. Trump  @realDonaldTrump

So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly......

So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly......

....and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how....

....and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how....

....it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!

President Trump’s remarks seemed particularly directed at Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN), who is a former Somalian refugee.

Omar said Friday that the president “shouldn’t be in office” and told an audience of high school students that America was failing to uphold its promise to be a just society.

Rep. Omar said Trump was “stoking white nationalism” after he tweeted that some progressive congresswomen should “go back” to where they came from.

“You are stoking white nationalism because you are angry that people like us are serving in Congress and fighting against your hate-filled agenda,” Omar wrote:

Ilhan Omar  @IlhanMN

As Members of Congress, the only country we swear an oath to is the United States.

Which is why we are fighting to protect it from the worst, most corrupt and inept president we have ever seen. https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1150381394234941448 

Ilhan Omar  @IlhanMN

You are stoking white nationalism bc you are angry that people like us are serving in Congress and fighting against your hate-filled agenda.

“America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.” -RFK

Rep. Ocasio-Cortez claimed Monday that President Trump’s remarks serve as the “hallmark language of white supremacists.”

President Trump tweeted Monday that Democrats need to apologize for the “foul language” and “terrible things they have said”:

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

When will the Radical Left Congresswomen apologize to our Country, the people of Israel and even to the Office of the President, for the foul language they have used, and the terrible things they have said. So many people are angry at them & their horrible & disgusting actions!

If Democrats want to unite around the foul language & racist hatred spewed from the mouths and actions of these very unpopular & unrepresentative Congresswomen, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I can tell you that they have made Israel feel abandoned by the U.S.

SPECIAL VIDEOS

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service