Rep. John Lewis: Ferguson, Like Selma, Is Civil Rights 'Turning Point'

Image: Rep. John Lewis: Ferguson, Like Selma, Is Civil Rights 'Turning Point'

Civil rights activist and Georgia Rep. John Lewis says if an indictment is not handed down by a grand jury investigating the fatal shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, the nation will see "massive, nonviolent protests all over America."

Lewis said those protests will mark a "turning point" in the nation's civil rights history akin to the 1965 demonstrations that took place in Selma, Alabama.

"Selma was the turning point. And I think what happened in Ferguson will be the turning point. I think people are waiting, they’re watching, and we’re gonna see within the next few days what’s going to happen — and that would be massive, nonviolent protests all over America," he said during an appearance on Roland Martin's radio show, according to Mediaite.

On March 7, 1965, Rep. Lewis was one of the 525 civil rights demonstrators who were beaten by police officers as they took part in a march between Selma and Alabama's state capital of Montgomery. The marches were inspired by the killing of Jimmie Lee Jackson, who was demonstrating for voting rights, by a state trooper a month earlier.

"When we were beaten on that bridge in Selma, people couldn’t take it, for they saw it, they heard about it, they read about it, and it lit a sense of righteous indignation. When we see a miscarriage of justice in Ferguson, they’re going to have the same reaction they had towards Selma," the Georgia Democrat added.

Read More: http://www.Newsmax.com/US/RepJohn-Lewis-Ferguson/2014/11/18/id/6081... 

Views: 512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who Cares?     I repeat "Who Cares?"       We have been brainwashed, by the MSM,to believe this is really of great importance, well, it isn't.      Blacks do not make up this Country, they are only a small percentage, but since we have the "Race-Baiter-in-Chief" in the WH, they're everywhere,always, always the victim.  Our Economy is important, our Terrorists Threat is Important, millions going into the Grocery Store for the Inflated Prices of Food is important, People truly wanting Jobs, and not finding them is important.  Bloody, savage slaughter in Isreal while people are praying ,is important.     Lincoln wanted them all on an Island, too bad he didn't follow through.

Another lib race-baiter in the mold of Obama and Holder and Sharpton and Jackson. In other words, he's an idiot.

time for a TEA Party

The difference in this situation is that the anger is caused purposely by black antagonists trying to make it a black against white problem. If the grand jury hears all the evidence and finds the policeman guilty, then he will be punished. If it's the other way around, then he will go free. That's the way the law works. This is not a a situation even remotely similar to Selma! Don't degrade it with a proposed parallel. If there are protests, they will be controlled by thugs and racist black antagonists. This will all be done because the decision of the grand jury went against opinion. If that be the case, let's call it what it is, a riot! Or, anarchy against the laws of the state. And, that's all it is. Stealing televisions, burning buildings, beating innocent people; how does that help anybody? If the decision doesn't have the merit, take it up in the courts. Be a member of society, not a burden to it.There is a time and place for proposed anarchy, this is not even remotely close to it!

I have called this morning the office of the President, the office of Diane Feinstein, the office of Barbara Boxer and the office of John Boehner. I have given the exact same dialogue and plea regarding representing America rather than amnesty to all offices. ONLY ONE REPRESENTATIVE HUNG UP ON ME - THE OFFICE OF JOHN BOEHNER! All the other offices were lovely, informative and very, very polite. John Boehner cannot stand being called a liberal Republican. He does not represent us, Tea Party.

The representative told me to call Ted Cruz. THAT is the leadership we have representing America in the fight against amnesty.

The first thing I heard, when Obama was elected, was "WE FINALLY GOT A BLACK MAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE" !  Can you imagine, if Obama had lost the election, and the word was, "I"M SURE GLAD WE KEPT A WHITE MAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE",  Who are the real racists ????

This guy, like all the protesters, can not be anything but terrorists, grasping at the straw of racism to demonstrate against a law enforcement officer doing his job of protecting and serving the public. This criminal thug, Brown, doing as he pleased, just like a terrorist himself good riddance and RIP.

I think that law enforcement, as well as the store owners should, use the (S.O.S )method, when it comes to dealing with looters ! "Shoot On Sight"

With the crowd I've seen on the past Ferguson BS I would have to agree. I wonder if his mother and the crowd she was with when they robbed the merchants selling tee shirts of her son. The nut sure didn't fall far from the tree. 

I wonder if this Jimmie Lee Jackson in Selma had just robbed a store and chose to fight with a armed police officer? Does anybody have any doubt that fifty years from now this Michael Brown character will be a martyr in St Louis, even though it would seem that this criminal has nothing other than Race in common with Jimmie Lee Jackson.

The only mis justice in ferguson was that the stupid thief and mugger was allowed to walk the streets and get ion to more that he could handle. when the blacks demonstrate there is no peace to, it . they start burning , breaking and looting . that is the great prize for them . as they think we owe them because they are Black. and as time goes on it generates a real ,fervor.Then it will ,take the army to subdue them

Now this jerk knows that the protests will not be non violent.    He like obummer are trying to start a civil war

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Michael RamirezPolitical Cartoons by AF Branco

Political Cartoons by Lisa Benson

ALERT ALERT

Obama Lies Again: – Ignores That The Year After Signing The Stimulus More Than (4) Million Jobs Were Lost

Former President Obama, the only President in US history who had his FBI and other Intel agencies spy on the opposition party candidate, claims that he created the great economy that Americans are enjoying today. The only thing Obama created was debt and massive job losses with his horrible economic recovery.

Yesterday the former President tweeted an effort to take credit for President Trump’s successful economy:

Joe Hoft@joehoft

Of course another @BarackObama lie. He can’t open his mouth without lying. 11 years ago the US lost (4.3) million jobs over the next 12 months. Horrible liar. https://twitter.com/barackobama/status/1229432034650722304 

Barack Obama  @BarackObama

Eleven years ago today, near the bottom of the worst recession in generations, I signed the Recovery Act, paving the way for more than a decade of economic growth and the longest streak of job creation in American history.

President Obama’s policies were a disgrace and a failure. He doubled the national debt in spite of zero interest rates from the Fed. His recovery was the worst in US history.

Also, Obama’s assertion is just plain false. The ‘Stimulus’ was passed in February 2009 right after Obama took over the Presidency. He promised to not pass any bills for at least a week to allow for the bills to be read by the people but lied as soon as he was sworn in. The Stimulus was hundreds and hundreds of pages of government handouts to Democrat districts and it was close to $1 million. This was not what America needed and it led to the Tea Party.

Far-left Wikipedia has this to say about the Stimulus:

Note that in his infinite wisdom, NYT economist Paul Krugman is credited with arguing that “the stimulus was far smaller than the economic crisis warranted”. (He also said the markets would crash and burn if President Trump was elected President.)

The data shows that the 12 months after Obama’s stimulus, the US lost 4.3 million jobs:

In Obama’s first three years he netted a loss of 1.5 million jobs compared to President Trump who has added more than 6.7 million jobs.

When it comes to the economy, the billionaire schools the community organizer every time.

Tucker: Bloomberg is trying to buy the election

© 2020   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service