Rand Paul: America Partly To Blame For Pearl Harbor, World War II

By Caleb Howe

At the Washington Post, Jennifer Rubin this weekend highlighted a video of Rand Paul speaking in 2012 about sanctions on Iran. In it, Paul disparages the notion of use of force, and for some reason claims the United States was partly to blame for World War II!

“There are times when sanctions have made it worse. I mean, there are times .. leading up to World War II we cut off trade with Japan. That probably caused Japan to react angrily. We also had a blockade on Germany after World War I, which may have encouraged them … some of their anger.”

Rubin spoke with David David Adesnik of the American Enterprise Institute about Paul’s remarks:

After viewing the video, he tells Right Turn, “Blaming the U.S. for Pearl Harbor is a long-standing isolationist habit that reflects tremendous historical illiteracy. Sen. Paul is very poorly informed if he thinks U.S. sanctions ‘probably caused Japan to react angrily.’” He explains, “The U.S. cut off oil supplies to Japan in August 1941, long after Japan had launched its atrocity-laden war against China in 1937. The evidence is conclusive that Japan was determined to dominate all of East Asia. Believing that the U.S. would not stand by passively if it overran Thailand, Singapore, Malaya and the East Indies, Japan launched its surprise attack on Pearl Harbor.”

With regard to the Senator’s comments about Germany, Adesnik declared them “so eccentric that it’s hard to be sure what he’s even talking about.” He goes on to point out the obvious, which is that we should be proud of our actions in Europe before and during the war, regardless of whether or not they antagonized the Nazis.

http://therightscoop.com/rand-paul-america-partly-to-blame-for-pear...

Views: 1633

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The fact that Stimson and other policy makers would want our enemies to strike first and were aware enough of global politics to discuss the subject I find as reasonable and natural. The 7th Fleet was moved to Pearl Harbor for many logical reasons, not the least of which was our concerns for Wake and Midway. The idea that an American President would sacrifice the fleet is ludicrous especailly since he could not have known the Carriers would not also be lost.

Lets end this silly speculation.

HIP HIP HOORAY   

A MAN WHO HAS IT ! 

Private schooling ?  or just a history lover?

declared war on Germany happened after the pearl harbor attack.

Precisely. Japan declared war on the US 0n 12-07 but it occurred after the attack had commenced. The next day, 12-08, the US declared war on Japan. Germany declared war on the US on the 11th and that same day we declared war on Germany.

Roberto, that was one busy December wasn't it. And the liberals declared war on freedom right here under our noses. And it's time for this war to be over with a third win for Americans.

Busy and Tragic. As they say. the price for freedom is perpetual vigilance.

???dia-looK eht gniknird need sah luaP dnaR.

There are some things that are true but belay any point they might make.  Yes, there are two sides in any argument and there are two sides in any war and it takes two to tango but does ANYone actually believe that the weight of moral evidence didn't and doesn't come down on OUR side?  Something about this reminds me of the moral relativism that the left trots out to make their dull points shine . . . .

This man has to be left behind.

This guy is nucking futts!!!! I will never vote for him!!!!

Knowing that he endorses Mitch McConnell, and why was enough for me.

Rand Paul , over the last year alone has moved from number one on my list of possible presidential candidates DOWN to about number six .  Dr, Ben Carson is number one , with Ted Cruz coming in second , followed by Sarah Palin , Allen West , and Michele Bachmann .  I also like Mia Love and a couple of others .

My top choices are Allen West, Dr. Ben Carson, and Ted Cruz!!!!!

That list sounds good but I think Allen West would probably be the best candidate giving that he was military and would know more about foreign affairs and using the military better than Carson and Cruz. Those two men are probably lacking in those fields.

RSS

‘We Are on the Cusp of a Second Civil War’

HOT TEA VIDEO

DIAMOND AND SILK

YES PATRIOT STORE

© 2017   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service