By Ilya Shapiro
One of Barack Obama’s chief accomplishments has been to return the Constitution to a central place in our public discourse.
Unfortunately, the president fomented this upswing in civic interest not by talking up the constitutional aspects of his policy agenda, but by blatantly violating the strictures of our founding document. And he’s been most frustrated with the separation of powers, which doesn’t allow him to “fundamentally transform” the country without congressional acquiescence.
But that hasn’t stopped him. In its first term, the Administration launched a “We Can’t Wait” initiative, with senior aide Dan Pfeiffer explaining that “when Congress won’t act, this president will.” And earlier this year, President Obama said in announcing his new economic plans that “I will not allow gridlock, or inaction, or willful indifference to get in our way.”
And so, as we reach the end of another year of political strife that’s fundamentally based on clashing views on the role of government in society, I thought I’d update a list I made two years ago and hereby present President Obama’s top 10 constitutional violations of 2013.
1. Delay of Obamacare’s out-of-pocket caps. The Labor Department announced in February that it was delaying for a year the part of the healthcare law that limits how much people have to spend on their own insurance. This may have been sensible—insurers and employers need time to comply with rapidly changing regulations—but changing the law requires actual legislation.
2. Delay of Obamacare’s employer mandate. The administration announced via blogpost on the eve of the July 4 holiday that it was delaying the requirement that employers of at least 50 people provide complying insurance or pay a fine. This time it did cite statutory authority, but the cited provisions allow the delay of certain reporting requirements, not of the mandate itself.
3. Delay of Obamacare’s insurance requirements. The famous pledge that “if you like your plan, you can keep it” backfired when insurance companies started cancelling millions of plans that didn’t comply with Obamacare’s requirements. President Obama called a press conference last month to proclaim that people could continue buying non-complying plans in 2014—despite Obamacare’s explicit language to the contrary. He then refused to consider a House-passed bill that would’ve made this action legal.
4. Exemption of Congress from Obamacare. A little-known part of Obamacare requires Congressmen and their staff to get insurance through the new healthcare exchanges, rather than a taxpayer-funded program. In the quiet of August, President Obama directed the Office of Personnel Management to interpret the law to maintain the generous congressional benefits.
5. Expansion of the employer mandate penalty through IRS regulation. Obamacare grants tax credits to people whose employers don’t provide coverage if they buy a plan “through an Exchange established by the State”—and then fines employers for each employee receiving such a subsidy. No tax credits are authorized for residents of states where the exchanges are established by the federal government, as an incentive for states to create exchanges themselves. Because so few (16) states did, however, the IRS issued a rule ignoring that plain text and allowed subsidies (and commensurate fines) for plans coming from “a State Exchange, regional Exchange, subsidiary Exchange, and federally-facilitated Exchange.”
6. Political profiling by the IRS. After seeing a rise in the number of applications for tax-exempt status, the IRS in 2010 compiled a “be on the lookout” (“BOLO”) list to identify organizations engaged in political activities. The list included words such as “Tea Party,” “Patriots,” and “Israel”; subjects such as government spending, debt, or taxes; and activities such as criticizing the government, educating about the Constitution, or challenging Obamacare. The targeting continued through May of this year.
read the rest by clicking here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2013/12/23/president-obamas-to...
THIS SHAMEFUL, DISGUSTING PIECE OF SCUM, OBAMA......SHOULD BE "HUNG IN PUBLIC" FOR ALL HIS CONSTITUTIONAL VIOLATIONS AND CRIMES AGAINST AMERICA AND THE AMERICAN PUBLIC !!!!!!!!
Why is he still in office ? why hasn't he been impeached yet and all his communist regime ? are we the people fed up enough yet ?
I agree or use the guillotines they already have in place for us , he can show us by him being the first person
with his head being lopped off then Reid, Pelosi, Feinstein, Boxer, Schumer , Murray and the rest of Obummers
team of "Unconstitutionalists" all "Bobble Heads" :) :) :) this way he can meet all of his virgin women waiting for him on the other side...send him on his way :) :) :) We don't want to keep him waiting right ???
Barry Soetoro/Barack Obama could have and should have been impeached and tried for his TRAITOROUS crimes at least twenty times over since he was illegally elected as POTUS, however, our duely elected CORRUPT congress has refused to take any action against him! WE THE PEOPLE need to demand inmasse that this TRAITOROUS CRIMINAL and all of his COMMUNIST minions be INDICTED "NOW!"
When will we the people start holding the lame stream media accountable for holding back or altering the news to protect this Imposter; that we have to call president. From day one he and his hole administration have lied and or deceived the American people. We the people can no longer stand for the media lying to us or hiding the truth to protect such a dishonest President, Administration and the Democrats/Progressive party's.
They pump out propaganda like any other third world socialist country I'm sixty five years old and never have I seen this country so divided as it is today We the people must unite to stop this socialist attack on the United Stats of America
Truly, this is the worst bunch of idiots, from the top right on down to the custodians, to ever inhabit any government office.
Guess what? That's right, in 2014 the ignorant, beer guzzling, non-working, career welfare, illiterate bunch will elect them all over again.
This is just the top 10? Now many constitutional violations does it take before Congress will take action? I remember a time when it only took ONE violations..
On November 17, 1973, Nixon said, “People have got to know whether or not their President is a crook and a liar. Well, I'm not a crook or a liar. I've earned everything I've got” The people spoke out and next…knowing he was facing impeachment.
Nixon stated that he had a lapse of memory and accepted blame for misleading the country. Due to loss of political support and the near-certainty of impeachment Nixon resigned the office on August 9, 1974.
Obama when can we expect your resignation?