Media Chatter: House Speaker Paul Ryan Is The Establishment’s Next Challenger to Face Trump

GettyImages-501563056 ryan

By Neil Munro11 Jan 20165

House Speaker Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) 56% may become the GOP establishment’s 2016 candidate who can snatch the nomination or the leadership of the GOP away from pro-American populist Donald Trump, according to D.C. media chatter.

But the move — if it happens — may be too late.

Any fight between the increasingly popular Trump and the decreasingly popular Ryan would mark a last-ditch effort by the GOP’s establishment-business-wing to deny any political power to its conservative voters, likely splitting the party just before the elections that will decide which party gets to control the White House and the U.S. Senate. It might also damage Ryan’s long-term career plans, which are already being undermined by his unpopular policies and his complete failure in the 2016 budget negotiations, despite his support in the establishment media.

The media suggestions for Ryan suddenly appeared Sunday, Jan 10.

In a Daily Beast article about the media’s desire for a political fight at the GOP convention, veteran reporter Jeff Greenfield casually suggested the GOP’s establishment might sabotage Trump at the last moment by using the convention to give the nomination to Ryan, who was defeated in 2012 when he ran as the vice-president candidate with Gov. Mitt Romney.

“If party elders were to meet behind closed doors and deliver the nomination to, say, House Speaker Paul Ryan, that would qualify as a ‘brokered’ outcome,” Greenfield wrote Jan. 10.

Tai Kopan, a writer for CNN, floated Ryan as the media-backed silver bullet against Trump during a Jan. 10 article about a weekend event that showcased Ryan’s much-touted efforts to win more votes from lower-income Americans.

In rare joint appearances, six Republican presidential candidates gathered here on Saturday to talk about ways to address poverty in America, speaking to voters in the crucial early primary state and beyond about why the GOP has the best answers.

House Speaker Paul Ryan and South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) 88% were moderators, and they questioned former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Ben Carson, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) 79% in small groups about how to address systemic problems at the Kemp Forum on Expanding Opportunity….

Views: 610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not all of the applications are formatted with limits...that's my point. Without all States in agreement the convention is not bound to the rules of a few ... or even a majority... unless they are codified by law or in a legal compact.

I don't trust anyone when it comes to Amending the Constitution I want guarantees in writing that limit the scope and establish general rules for the convention before or simultaneously with approving a convention.

Oren...

I have not vacillated at all... it has always been my desire to have written guarantees regarding the scope and rules for the convention... that limit its scope and provide general guidelines for its conduct... before it is convened.

And yes, I don't trust politicians and I certainly don't trust them with the keys to the Constitution.

More garbage from the GOP. 

Irregardless of our differences, we had better stand together on issues such as this.

http://allnewspipeline.com/N_Korean_H_Bomb_Is_Super_EMP.php

This is a very serious threat to life on earth.

This sort of a weapon in the hands of a madman.

Is the Ayatolla the next to possess such a devastating weapon ?

Both of these countries are run by suicidal maniacs.

Remember "Black-Out" tonight.

Yes, I remember.

Ha Ha No Way Mr.Ryan don't you get it?  NO Establishment!  

Oren,

Any collective endeavor needs to have a framework of guidelines and parameters to be comprehensive, limited, and successful.

I agree wholeheartedly with Colonel Nelson's statement,

“I don't trust anyone when it comes to Amending the Constitution .

I want guarantees in writing that limit the scope and establish general

rules for the convention before or simultaneously with approving a  convention.” And again I will add that I see absoluitely nothing in what you propose that will prevent the ceative neerdowells from violating their Oath of Office. Term limits ? That is saying, that one of these sorts of cretins can go ahead and continue to do is or her dirty work till the end of the term. And if they are eligible for another term , we will vote them out. Wow, that will show them not to mess with us. I say BS, Make the Oath of Office be taken on the Holy Bible, only (so we do not get another Muslim) and make it an act of treason to violate it.  Bang, 90% of the problems we have seen for the last at least 3 decades, will disappear. 

You stated:

"The Convention rules have been largely hammered out in the three Assembly of States meetings at Mount Vernon.   They cannot be formally adopted until there is an actual Convention of States Convention. "

That statement is both inaccurate and avoids addressing one of the key elements necessary to keeping a Convention on course and from becoming a runaway Convention.  Those states not at the Assembly of States will simply have to catch up.  The Application for the Convention should contain the basis for limiting the scope and purpose of the Convention.... and must be part of every application or it becomes invalid; being open debate, should even one state fails to agree. 

In addition a 'Compact' between the 50 State's establishing the general rules of order for the Convention are needed... They can use standard parliamentary rules such as ROBERTS RULES OF ORDER and establish how delegates will be seated, how many delegates per state are permitted and how committees chairs will be assigned, etc..

We don't need to be taking unnecessary chances with our Constitution.

If a simple set of general rules and limiting the scope by formal agreement ...  is impossible to achieve in writing before the Convention is convened, then something is wrong... and with the crooked and unscrupulous political class we have today, that something, can turn out to be desasterous.  We need all 50 State Legislatures to sign on to a legally binding compact, that outlines the basic rules and limits the scope of the Convention.

Agreement to a general set of rules can occur before the Convention... and then be formally adopted at the Convention.  And yes the Convention can be a runaway convention... the ratification process is a separate process. A runaway convention's proposed amendments must be ratified (approved) before being adopted... that is a totally different action.

The Ratification process is not part of the Convention... once the States Convention proposes amendments its job is done... it then falls to the State Legislatures to ratify the Proposed Amendments or too reject them.  Don't confuse the two processes.  Hence, a runaway convention would require the State's to reject any bad Amendments it proposed.  That's two different processes.

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by AF Branco

Political Cartoons by Michael RamirezPolitical Cartoons by Gary Varvel

ALERT ALERT

Judicial Watch->  Emails Show Dossier-Connected Obama State Dept Officials Set ‘Face-To-Face’ Meeting On ‘Russian Matter’ Shortly Before 2016 Election

Judicial Watch and the Daily Caller News Foundation on Thursday released 84 pages of documents showing Obama’s State Department was central to pushing the ‘Trump-Russia’ hoax shortly before the 2016 election.

The email exchange between then-Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland and Special Coordinator for Libya Jonathan Winer, a very close associate to Christopher Steele, show them discussing a ‘face-to-face’ meeting in New York on a ‘Russian matter’ in September of 2016.

Via Judicial Watch:

Judicial Watch and The Daily Caller News Foundation today released 84 pages of documents, including a September 2016 email exchange between then-Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland and Special Coordinator for Libya Jonathan Winer, a close associate of dossier author Christopher Steele, discussing a “face-to-face” meeting on a “Russian matter.”

(In June 2016 Nuland permitted a meeting between Steele and the FBI’s legal attaché in Rome. Nuland told CBS News that the State Department knew about the Steele dossier by July 2016.)

According to an op-ed Winer wrote for The Washington Post in 2018, also in September 2016, “Steele and I met in Washington and discussed the information now known as the “dossier… I prepared a two-page summary and shared it with Nuland, who indicated that, like me, she felt that the secretary of state needed to be made aware of this material.”

A September 17, 2016, email exchange between Nuland and Winer – that was classified in the interest of national defense or foreign policy – discusses the political situation in Libya, but also brings up a “Russian matter:”

Sent: September 17, 2016 at 12:40:00 PM EDT
To: Nuland, Victoria J
Subject: Re: Libya Update

Would like to discuss this and a Russian matter.

Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2016 1:31 PM
To: Winer, Jonathan
Subject: Re. Libya Update

In ny face to face?

Sent: September 17, 2016 at 1:56:05 PM EDT
To: Nuland, Victoria J
Subject: Re: Libya Update

Yes that was [sic] be good.

Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2016 1:58 PM
To: Winer, Jonathan
Subject: Re. Libya Update

Good. I’ll reach out when im there Sunday. [Redacted]

If Victoria Nuland’s name sounds familiar it’s because she has been on Judicial Watch’s radar for a long time and in many of TGP’s previous reports.

In December 2018, Judicial Watch released documents revealing that Victoria Nuland was involved in the Obama State Department’s urgent gathering of classified Russia investigation information and disseminating it to members of Congress within hours of Donald Trump taking office.

In a related lawsuit, Judicial Watch is suing the State Department communications between Ambassador Nuland and employees of Fusion GPS, as well as top ranking Department of Justice, FBI, and State Department officials.

“The Obama State Department was central to the effort to target President Trump with the Russia smear,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. “These new emails further show that senior Obama State Department advanced the Russiagate hoax just before the 2016 presidential election.”

Tom Fitton   @TomFitton

BREAKING: Obama State Department was central to the effort to target President @RealDonaldTrump with the Russia smear. New emails show how senior Obama State Department advanced the Russiagate hoax just before the 2016 presidential election.

Embedded video

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service