Lawmakers Who Upheld NSA Phone Spying Received Double the Defense Industry Cash

The numbers tell the story — in votes and dollars. On Wednesday, the house voted 217 to 205 not to rein in the NSA’s phone-spying dragnet. It turns out that those 217 “no” voters received twice as much campaign financing from the defense and intelligence industry as the 205 “yes” voters.

That’s the upshot of a new analysis by MapLight, a Berkeley-based non-profit that performed the inquiry at WIRED’s request. The investigation shows that defense cash was a better predictor of a member’s vote on the Amash amendment than party affiliation. House members who voted to continue the massive phone-call-metadata spy program, on average, raked in 122 percent more money from defense contractors than those who voted Wednesday to dismantle it.

Overall, political action committees and employees from defense and intelligence firms such as Lockheed Martin, Boeing, United Technologies, Honeywell International, and others ponied up $12.97 million in donations for a two-year period ending December 31, 2012, according to the analysis, which MapLight performed with financing data from OpenSecrets. Lawmakers who voted to continue the NSA dragnet-surveillance program averaged $41,635 from the pot, whereas House members who voted to repeal authority averaged $18,765.

read more:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/07/money-nsa-vote/

Views: 488

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WHORES

CONGRESSIONAL $ WHORES REFUSE TO END BLANKET NSA COLLECTION AUTHORITY...APS

H. Amdt. 413 - An Amendment Numbered 100 Printed in House Report 113-170 to End Authority for the Blanket Collection of Records Under the Patriot Act. It Would Also Bar the NSA and Other Agencies from Using Section 215 of the Patriot Act to Collect Records, Including Telephone Call Records, That Pertain to Persons Who Are Not Subject to an Investigation Under Section 215.

113th Congress (2013-2014) View amendment details
Sponsor:
House Vote: H.Amdt. 413 (Amash) to H.R. 2397: To end authority for the blanket collection of under the Patriot Act. It ...

DID NOT PASS on July 24, 2013.

1/2 required to pass

voted YES: 205 voted NO: 217
12 voted present/not voting

Thank you Andrew S . Unbelievable How much other really dangerious ,like them allowing the Peoples republic of china's military to do joint military exercises on our ocean, and soil i guess thats for when they to clame our nation and all of our property as theirs as pay back for the dept this goverment ran up!!!!!! un fu--en believeable how our congress sold us outhell this is  more troubling and dangerious than any little spying!!!    and when we have a debt that can never be paied off and where going deeper and deeper in debt these congressional Whores sent to the middle east to thoes American hateing bastereds 598.something BILLION DOLLARS OF TAX PAYER MONEY.The only patriot from PA. was R. REP KEITH ROTHFUS and R. REP Steve STOCKMAN from TX. all thoes so called (R) REP.'S from my state sold us out . You know if you read that hole damn bill their is a lot more serious shit that we need to be concerned with, but again thank you  at least know i no who the RAT BASTEREDS ,-OATH BREAKERS are.

They sold out everyone's privacy for MONEY. These men and women are weak and unworthy of public office.

Looks like I will be calling 'good ole boy' Jeb Hensarling's office Monday morning to let them know I see why he voted no on de-funding the NSA. 

ellis b. while your at it aske him why he thinks it's a good think for the china army to have joint exercises with our military on american soil , and why he thinks it's a good idea to give the middle east 598.billion dollars of our money that we don't have. I'm going to be giveing mine an ear full!!!!

I think the NSA should be subjected to my favorite AUSTERITY move, lets decrease their requested budget by 35% to 50%.

when you allow the Government to spy on the people,,,That means all the people including anyone who uses a phone or internet including those who voted for it,,,and their families,,,,They are the sell out,,,They are the ones giving away our freedom and democracy so the government can "shoot fish in a barrel"

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

ALERT ALERT

Democrat Sen. Chris Murphy: ‘The Real Second Amendment Isn’t Absolute

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) tweeted Saturday there is a “real” Second Amendment and an “imaginary” one and he believes the real one is “not absolute.”

Murphy, “I support the real 2nd Amendment, not the imaginary 2nd Amendment. And the real 2nd Amendment isn’t absolute.”

The statement was a precursor to his call for banning “assault rifles” in the wake of the Santa Fe High School shooting, even though “assault rifles” were not used in the attack.

Murphy said the “real 2nd Amendment…allows Congress to wake up to reality and ban these assault rifles that are designed for one purpose only – to kill as many people as fast as possible.”

Gov. Greg Abbott (R-TX) said the Santa Fe High School attackers used a .38 revolver and a shotgun to carry out his heinous acts. Therefore, a ban on “assault rifles” would have done nothing to prevent the attack from occurring or the tragic loss of life from taking place.

It should be noted that Saturday was not the first time Sen. Murphy called the essence of the Second Amendment into question. On August 6, 2013, Breitbart News reported that Murphy told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow that “The Second Amendment is not an absolute right, not a God-given right. It has always had conditions upon it like the First Amendment has.”

Murphy did not grapple with the words, “Shall not be infringed.”

YES PATRIOT STORE

© 2018   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service