Iowa Republican Gov. Terry Branstad says he'd like to see surging GOP presidential contender Sen. Ted Cruz get crushed in the early-voting state – slamming his opposition to mandates for renewable fuels like corn-grown ethanol.

The governor charged the Texas lawmaker "could be very damaging" to the corn-producing state, and slammed Cruz's support from "Big Oil," the Des Moines Register reports.

"Ted Cruz is ahead right now," Branstad said at the Iowa Renewable Fuels Summit Tuesday, the Register reports. "What we're trying to do is educate the people in the state of Iowa. He is the biggest opponent of renewable fuels."

The governor decried Cruz's 2013 bill to eliminate the Renewable Fuel Standard, which mandates that all gas sold in the United States include a certain percentage of biofuels like ethanol. 

Read more:

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/terry-branstad-ted-cruz-damaging-io... 

Views: 901

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I DO NOT AGREE WITH YOU ON TED"S BEING ELIGIBLE TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT AND ME & MY FAMILY WILL SUPPORT HIM ALL THE WAY! He IS the best hope we have to get our country back! But you will probably vote for Trump who I heard on the radio yesterday wants to INCREASE the subsidies for ethanol! You people who are yelling about Cruz's eligibility are going to feel mighty funny when he is exonerated from this BS! Trump has used this as a talking point against him because he is scared to death Cruz is going to knock him out! Also Ted's remarks about him & New Yorks Values I agree with As my wife & I have dealt with the attitudes of people from the big cities in NY and Calif who thought we were beneath them because we are from the Ozarks and when we met them in their cities they expected us to get off the plane looking like the Clampets! We are from SW Mo. I am a red neck business man & would never change my ways or VALUES to fit in with these big city jerks! Everone felt the hurt from 911 & was proud of how the country came together (It wasn't just NEW YORKERS it was the whole country) so I feel Trump's remarks on this was total BS and unrelated to what Ted said!

Cruz is eligible; stop believing the lococrats.  

Ethanol is one of the worst polluters.   It takes much more water to grow.   The autos  that are using this.. and in most cases there is not a fuel without it... are bigger polluters.  The engines run worse.   Do not last as long... But the biggest tragedy is the cost.    Our food stuffs for humans and animals have been priced out of reach on many items.   Buy beef lately.  Pork.  Eggs.   How about breakfast food.    ?????

Know nothing of the actual potential and practicality of a fuel generated from ethanol. Does someone know something I do not. Never put ethanol in any gas tank we own and, yet, always hear about it. Electric cars - yes. Ethanol - nothing.

Maybe Cruz knows something we do not - or maybe the governor knows something Cruz does not.

Jo Anne, there is a lot of misinformation being disseminated regarding ethanol "tainted" gasoline.  Most of it is political.  A few people are making a lot of money out of this. Other than that, the owners of motor vehicles are being "screwed."  To put it bluntly, ethanol screws up fuel systems - especially seals.  

I do not profess to be an "expert" on the subject of ethanol fuel.  And I'm not sure what an "expert" might be.  Break down the word "expert" to gain a better understanding.  "Expert:" an "ex" is a "has been" and a "spurt" is a "drip under pressure."  Suffice it to say that I will NOT use ethanol fuel in my motorcycles except when nothing else is available and I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with no alternatives. I absolutely will not use it in my airplane.  I'm a bit more lenient regarding my pickup - but only because the idiot darlings of the left in Orygun - Rummy Ronny Wyden and Little Jeffy Merkeley - have made it very difficult for us to get pure, unsullied gasoline. As for Gov. Braindead in Iowa, your guess is as good as mine.

As I said, I'm no expert on fuels.  I've been involved in motorsports for many years, though, and I've seen the effect of alcohol-based fuels on engines and, more specifically, fuel systems.  Racing cars have used "methanol" - not "ethanol" - fuels for many years. But "methanol" is a whole 'nuther ballgame - and you would NEVER even attempt to use it in a "street" machine. As for "ethanol" in street machines, I've had to replace parts long before their time. 

Thanks for the explanation, James Philip Stewart. You explained what I suspected. Being a former Kansan, where they are also looking for more financial rewards from corn than cow food, it again explains why we need politicians who get past the lobbyists and vote for what works. Pragmatics before special interests!!!

And, get a lot of life insurance. My husband always had a Harley until our son would not get on for a ride. Said - "I might get hurt." Sold it because of the logic of a child.

Jo Ann, I am deeply saddened by your son's "logic." Yes, he might get hurt on a motorcycle. But he might get hurt by a lot of interesting things in this life - if he truly lives his life. I am 77 years old and am still an active motorcycle rider. And, oh, the fun and adventures I have had because I was not fearful of getting hurt. I have been careful, but not fearful. The same with my airplane. Yes, it could kill me if I didn't exercise appropriate skill and caution. But those wonderful adventures! And I worked as an engineer and diver on an underwater archaeological expedition. And that could have easily killed me. But the memories and the interesting people I have known and worked with! Going back to my childhood in a farming/ranching community in Idaho. We climbed trees - and sometimes fell. Broken bones were just part of childhood. We learned self-reliance from this. And we swam in irrigation canals. But I was never seriously drowned because I learned early on to "read the water." But getting back to motorcycles. If I had to give up all of the things I do and just keep one, I would keep my motorcycles. Have you considered giving your son a small, off-road trail bike? Great good fun and learning self-reliance. And, yes, he may get bruised occasionally, and even break a bone, but do you really want him to grow up being a timid, fearful demlib? Or do you want him to grow up to be a man? 

James, my husband had all of your great experiences on his Harley in college and grad school and was relieved of his Harley by the LAPD when I met him. (another story) He did the road trips riding without a helmet or jacket through the West, did the acrobatics on the bars that only a college kid would find exhilarating and it was all about freedom and the rush of the wind and adrenaline.

When he got his Harley - again - back in the 90's, I had to get the biker jacket, the helmet, the long pants, the eye cover, etc. and we lived in Chico, CA, which has a way of being hotter than Hades in the summer. Really lost the "wind in the face" exhilaration factor. Then, what do you do with that stuff when you get off the bike downtown? Wear it? Carry it? Huuummm!

The fun factor had dwindled from his carefree days of yore. And, my days of yore in KS were interesting. As kids, we cooked mice over fires fueled with gasoline poured out of a can. We built play houses with big posts that fell. Learned about clamps in my scull on that one. Actually, I think I was lucky to live. All kids were part of street gangs in those days, nice clean-cut kids who came back into the house at night after survival training during the days.

The kid is all grown up, has been bandaged and put together a few times getting there, and our other son is a nut on the bike. He won't even tell me about his spills. I think their brains are programmed differently - but - THEY ARE BOTH ARCH CONSERVATIVES AND FOR TRUMP OR CRUZ. Whichever. One of them is our back-up guy. At least we raised boys who value traditional America and realize that liberals are destroying Western Civilization.

And, a post note, my husband did SAR when we retired. The locals on the team loved to introduce the new guys to the "fun" of ATV racing in the mountains through snow and trees at top speed, ON THEIR FIRST RIDE! I think that experience surpassed the Harley days. We both now prefer our adrenaline to be politically inspired. God knows, we all will have to wear blood pressure monitors if the 2016 election goes to the Democrats - or Rubio!

Haha, I skied a black diamond hill on my 2nd day out, what an idiot I was!!

Jo Anne, I stand corrected.  It's just that your comment concerning your son being afraid of being hurt was phrased in a way that made it sound recent. And I must admit to being appalled at the "child hysteria" that is sweeping our nation. Children are being "hyper-protected." I could quote numerous events that back up what I say, but I suspect you know of what I speak.  

James Philip Stewart: Wish I was still living in those times, although those were the Clinton years. Entertaining, yet the era of the first reality check - that liberals did not care how bad their presidents were (in Bill's case, really, really bad) - they remained blindly loyal to their guys. That is why you cannot talk to a liberal. They have to rely on PC to protect their endorsements because they cannot talk about anything factual. I truthfully resent having to save liberals from themselves!

You got it about the hyper-protected children, minorities, women, illegals, Muslims. In fact, everyone is protected except white Christians! Thus, any white conservative in the Tea Party who does not vote because the candidate does not fit into his/her very specific profile is working for the liberals. We do not have that option - unless - it is any candidate other than Trump or Cruz.

After reading your posts, James, and seeing Oren's motorcycle, I am only thinking of you guys in YOUR younger days. Glad to see the personality behind the posts. We should all send photos!!!! And, visualize what we are in our hearts. Looked at our photo on the Harley (the last Harley), and we looked like Ozzie and Harriet going wild. Hell - we looked far straighter than I thought we could become. Sure that is the same with all of you!

Our kids are a far more proper than we ever were. Maybe we should have been less worried about grades and achievement. My parents thought I was great no matter what I did. NOT US!

Jo Anne, I am greatly enjoying our exchange. Don't know where you and your husband live, but probably a long way from Orygun. I can envision, though, some great evenings spent criticizing the world over Martini's or G&T's. 

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Robert Ariail

Political Cartoons by Chip BokThe cartoonist's homepage, pnj.com/opinion

ALERT ALERT

YIKES!!! Chelsea Clinton Emphatically States A Person With A Beard And A Penis Can ‘Absolutely’ Identify As A Woman

• The one issue Hillary and Chelsea don’t appear to agree on entirely is transgender self-identification
  • In an interview with The Sunday Times, journalist Decca Aitkenhead asked the Clintons about transgender self-identification
  • Chelsea Clinton replied ‘yes’ emphatically when asked if someone with a beard and penis can ever be a woman
  • ‘It’s going to take a lot more time and effort to understand what it means to be defining yourself differently,’ Hillary said
  • Aitkenhead said Hillary became ‘uneasy’ when the question was asked while Chelsea shot a ‘furious stare’ at the journalist as her mother answered
  • Hillary added: ‘It’s a very big generational discussion, because this is not something I grew up with or ever saw’

(Daily Mail) – It may appear Hillary and Chelsea Clinton always see eye-to-eye, but in a recent interview one topic cracked the facade of the like-minded mother-daughter power duo.

The one issue Hillary and Chelsea don’t appear to agree on entirely is transgender self-identification.

In an interview with The Sunday Times, journalist Decca Aitkenhead asked the Clintons if someone with a beard and a penis can ever be a woman, to which Chelsea replied emphatically, ‘Yes.’

However, as Aitkenhead describes it, Hillary looked ‘uneasy’, and blamed generational gaps for being less accepting.

‘Errr. I’m just learning about this,’ Hillary responded. ‘It’s a very big generational discussion, because this is not something I grew up with or ever saw. It’s going to take a lot more time and effort to understand what it means to be defining yourself differently.’

The Clintons sat sown with Aitkenhead to promote the book they co-authored, The Book of Gutsy Women: Favorite Stories of Courage and Resilience.

The book features Danica Roem, the first trans woman elected to a U.S. state legislature.

According Aitkenhead’s account, she tells Hillary during the interview that many British feminists of Hillary’s generation have a problem with the idea that a ‘lesbian who doesn’t want to sleep with someone who has a penis is transphobic.’

Hillary nods in agreement, while Chelsea ‘stiffens and stares at me’, according to Aitkenhead.

The journalist then adds that many women of Hillary’s generation are uncomfortable with biological males sharing women’s bathrooms.

‘I would say that, absolutely,’ Hillary nods firmly. ‘Absolutely. Yes.’

That’s when Chelsea begins shooting a ‘furious stare’ at Aitkenhead, who points it out to her.

‘I’m a terrible actor’, Chelsea laughs.

Chelsea then says she is thrilled with the National Health Service’s decision to assign patients to single-sex wards according to the gender they identify as, instead of their biological make up.

‘How can you treat someone if you don’t recognize who they feel and know in their core they are?’ Chelsea says.

‘And I strongly support children being able to play on the sports teams that match their own gender identity,’ she adds. ‘I think we need to be doing everything we can to support kids in being whoever they know themselves to be and discovering who they are.’

At this point Hillary looks conflicted.

‘I think you’ve got to be sensitive to how difficult this is,’ Hillary says. ‘There are women who’d say [to a trans woman], ”You know what, you’ve never had the kind of life experiences that I’ve had. So I respect who you are, but don’t tell me you’re the same as me.” I hear that conversation all the time.’

Despite the clear tension in the room, the pair say they don’t argue about this topic.

But according to Aitkenhead, ‘I get the impression they don’t like to present anything less than a united front to the world.’

BONUS VIDEO

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service