Immigration dispute erupts during bipartisan lunch

A White House lunch aiming for cooperation boiled into a fresh dispute with newly empowered Republicans over immigration reform Friday, with GOP leaders warning President Barack Obama to his face not to take unilateral action. The president stood unflinchingly by his plan to act.

Republicans attending the postelection lunch at Obama's invitation said they asked him for more time to work on legislation, but the president said his patience was running out. He reiterated his intent to act on his own by the end of the year if they don't approve legislation to ease deportations before then and send it to him to sign.

The Republicans' approach, three days after they resoundingly won control of the Senate in midterm elections, "seemed to fall on deaf ears," Sen. John Cornyn of Texas said in a telephone interview. "The president instead of being contrite or saying in effect to America, 'I hear you,' as a result of the referendum on his policies that drove this last election, he seems unmoved and even defiant."

"I don't know why he would want to sabotage his last two years as president by doing something this provocative," said Cornyn.

The White House said that Obama laid out three areas where he and Congress could work together before the end of the year — emergency funding to combat the Ebola outbreak, approval of a federal budget and quick action on spending to fight the Islamic State militant group. And the White House said, "The president reiterated his commitment to taking action on immigration reform in light of the House's inability to pass a comprehensive bill."

The meeting was tense at times, according to a senior House Republican aide. The aide was not authorized to describe the back-and-forth publicly by name and spoke only on condition of anonymity.

read more:

https://news.yahoo.com/obama-gop-leaders-test-compromise-082101852-...

Views: 1028

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

he is the top ILLEGAL DEPORT HIM NOW!!!!

AMEN SUSAN!   That's why nobody gets to see the REAL birth certificate....cause he'd be among the ones getting deported!

Or his school records or previous passports.....my guess is he is still a citizen of Indonesia...

Yes, and why did he have (2) SS# and one belonged to a man born in 1890? How stupid does one have to be to support this criminal traitor?

Maybe our Congress?

Jim, 

The reason being he wants as many muslims to come in to America as possible before the boarders are closed. Anyone that cannot see this, has their head in the sand. Middle East Sand!!

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!

Once again.....James.....thank you so much for telling us that we're all  STUPID....and only YOU have a handle on reality.  It's BOTH.  You're as pushy and arrogant as the idiot in the WH.

Marilyn, head in the sand means lacks knowledge by avoiding the facts. I do think many Muslim will take advantage and have been called to do so. We may also think that these are not friendly Muslims!

Yeah Virgil................I think I can figure that one out myself.  Not everybody's an idiot.

I agree. Let's start deporting!

Why is Obama to Stupid to realize that the Congress can block any action that Obama takes.  They have that authority, especially since they control the house!

The list is Long, of Obummer's Acts Against America, Congress has their work cut out.

Unfortunately, Our Control in Congress doesn't start until next year, and I fear there will be much more damage coming 'til then.  Let's Hope and Pray Congress finds it's spine and gets Tough!

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by AF Branco

Political Cartoons by Lisa Benson

ALERT ALERT

Obama Lies Again: – Ignores That The Year After Signing The Stimulus More Than (4) Million Jobs Were Lost

Former President Obama, the only President in US history who had his FBI and other Intel agencies spy on the opposition party candidate, claims that he created the great economy that Americans are enjoying today. The only thing Obama created was debt and massive job losses with his horrible economic recovery.

Yesterday the former President tweeted an effort to take credit for President Trump’s successful economy:

Joe Hoft@joehoft

Of course another @BarackObama lie. He can’t open his mouth without lying. 11 years ago the US lost (4.3) million jobs over the next 12 months. Horrible liar. https://twitter.com/barackobama/status/1229432034650722304 

Barack Obama  @BarackObama

Eleven years ago today, near the bottom of the worst recession in generations, I signed the Recovery Act, paving the way for more than a decade of economic growth and the longest streak of job creation in American history.

President Obama’s policies were a disgrace and a failure. He doubled the national debt in spite of zero interest rates from the Fed. His recovery was the worst in US history.

Also, Obama’s assertion is just plain false. The ‘Stimulus’ was passed in February 2009 right after Obama took over the Presidency. He promised to not pass any bills for at least a week to allow for the bills to be read by the people but lied as soon as he was sworn in. The Stimulus was hundreds and hundreds of pages of government handouts to Democrat districts and it was close to $1 million. This was not what America needed and it led to the Tea Party.

Far-left Wikipedia has this to say about the Stimulus:

Note that in his infinite wisdom, NYT economist Paul Krugman is credited with arguing that “the stimulus was far smaller than the economic crisis warranted”. (He also said the markets would crash and burn if President Trump was elected President.)

The data shows that the 12 months after Obama’s stimulus, the US lost 4.3 million jobs:

In Obama’s first three years he netted a loss of 1.5 million jobs compared to President Trump who has added more than 6.7 million jobs.

When it comes to the economy, the billionaire schools the community organizer every time.

Tucker: Bloomberg is trying to buy the election

© 2020   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service