Former Facebook and Google employees warn social media giants are harming children

Infowars.com reports: As part of their first campaign, titled The Truth About Tech, the group will target 55,000 U.S. public schools in an effort to warn students, teachers and parents about, among other things, tech addiction.

 Tristan Harris, a former esthetic at Google and head of the new group, told the New York Times that both Google and Facebook are essentially aiming their computing power at vulnerable children.

“We were on the inside. We know what the companies measure. We know how they talk, and we know how the engineering works,” Harris said. “The largest supercomputers in the world are inside of two companies — Google and Facebook — and where are we pointing them? We’re pointing them at people’s brains, at children.”

 Apart from its initial campaign, the new Center for Humane Technology also hopes to develop a Ledger of Harms – a site to inform tech engineers who may be worried about what they are building – and begin lobbying for laws that would rein in tech giants.

 Roger McNamee, an early Facebook investor, says he joined the group in an attempt to undo any harm he may have caused.

“Facebook appeals to your lizard brain — primarily fear and anger. And with smartphones, they’ve got you for every waking moment,” McNamee said. “This is an opportunity for me to correct a wrong.”

 News of the Center for Humane Technology’s intentions comes only days after child health experts asked Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to delete a new messenger app intended for children as young as six.

“Younger children are simply not ready to have social media accounts. They are not old enough to navigate the complexities of online relationships, which often lead to misunderstandings and conflicts even among more mature users,” a letter to Zuckerberg said. “They also do not have a fully developed understanding of privacy, including what’s appropriate to share with others and who has access to their conversations, pictures, and videos.”

 Numerous studies have linked excessive technology use among children to depression and developmental issues.

 Even as the public appears to be increasingly consumed by technology, major tech figures seem to be moving in the opposite direction.

 Apple co-founder Steve Jobs said prior to his passing that he strictly limited his children’s screen time when asked what his children thought of the first iPad.

“They haven’t used it,” Jobs said at the time. “We limit how much technology our kids use at home.”

 Chris Anderson, co-founder of drone manufacturer 3D Robotics and a former editor of Wired Magazine, has also made similar statements in regards to his children.

“That’s because we have seen the dangers of technology firsthand,” Anderson said. “I’ve seen it in myself, I don’t want to see that happen to my kids.”

 Although currently without children, Apple CEO Tim Cook has stated his desire to safeguard any future kids of his own from the dangers of social media.

“I don’t have a kid, but I have a nephew that I put some boundaries on,” Cook recently said. “There are some things that I won’t allow; I don’t want them on a social network.”

 Facebook’s first president, Sean Parker, argued last year that his former company’s products preyed on the mentally vulnerable.

“God only knows what it’s doing to our children’s brains,” Parker said.

Around the same time, former Facebook employee Chamath Palihapitiya also accused the social media giant of “ripping apart the social fabric of how society works.”

Facebook, Google Employees Warn Social Media Is Harming Children

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Media ignores Super Bowl slaughter
of NFL linebacker by illegal alien

A drunk-driving illegal immigrant from Guatemala hit and killed two men Sunday night, one of whom was identified as Indianapolis Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson.

Manuel Orrego-Savala, 37, was driving around 4 a.m. when he veered onto the emergency shoulder of Highway I-70 just outside Indianapolis, Indiana, and struck Jackson and his Uber driver Jeffrey Monroe, who were both standing outside of Monroe’s vehicle.

Indiana State Police Sgt. John Perrine said Savala gave them the alias Alex Cabrera Gonsales after the crash, but later detectives learned his real name and that he “is in the United States illegally and has previously been deported on two occasions, in 2007 and again in 2009.”

Republican Congressman Todd Rokita tweeted, “This news should make all Americans angry. We must do more to get these dangerous illegal immigrant criminals off our streets, build a wall & put an end to illegal immigration.”

This news should make all Americans angry. A twice-deported illegal immigrant is suspected of killing 2 Hoosiers, including Colts LB Edwin Jackson. We must do more to get these dangerous illegal immigrant criminals off our streets, build a wall & put an end to illegal immigration https://twitter.com/mattsmith_news/status/960535371078651904 

The media also continues to use his alias, rather than his real name.

Most headlines call him a “suspected drunk driver,” and one article says, “Alex Cabrera Gonsales, 37, of Indianapolis,” not Guatemala.

Some articles omit his illegal status completely, instead saying he “was intoxicated and driving without a license.”

Below is a small example of misleading MSM headlines.

MSN
 

Washington Post

Fox News

ESPN

NFL.com

Facebook which has all so Attacked President Trump, and I agree, all the media was over the NFL, but when Facebook attacks Trump, where is the fall out over this?

good question. Slander is just fine, apparently, standing in apostacy to truth and justice.

Damn girl that scares me, you agreed.

 I will have a beer on this. Thanks.......

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

 

Political Cartoons by Ken Catalino

Political Cartoons by Chip Bok

ALERT ALERT

Ignored By Media: Trump Is Using Obama’s National Emergency On Mexican Cartels To Build The Border Wall

President Trump declared a State of Emergency at the US southern border on Friday.

Declaring the immigration crisis a national emergency was overdue. Presidents have declared national emergencies for nearly 50 years.

Barack Obama declared 13 national emergencies, 11 of which continue to this day. The Obama emergencies included the Swine Flu, Flint water crisis and Iran.

And Obama declared the Mexican drug cartels a national emergency in 2011.

Congress believes President Trump has $21 billion in unobligated military construction funding money available for the border wall with Mexico.

Now this was mostly ignored by the liberal media. President Trump is using Barack Obama’s previous national emergency on Mexican drug cartels to get funding for the border wall.

Via Law and Crime:

As it turns out, back in 2011 then-President Barack Obama issued an executive order “blocking property of transnational criminal organizations organizations.” Obama cited his authority as granted through the Constitution to invoke the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, 50 U.S.C. 1701, and the National Emergencies Act, 50 U.S.C. 1601. The latter is the same legislation that Trump is citing to get funding for the wall to achieve his immigration reform goals. That executive order targeted a number of criminal organizations, including the Mexican Los Zetas cartel, an ally of the MS-13 gang President Trump has regularly called out as a danger to Americans.

“Drugs, gangs and people — an invasion,” Trump said on Friday. “We have an invasion coming into this country.”

Trump all but thanked his predecessor on Friday.

“We may be using one of the national emergencies that [Obama] signed having to do with criminal cartels… it’s a very good national emergency… we’re going to be using parts of it,” he said.

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service