Donald Trump torches influential congressman for supporting Marco Rubio

Real-estate mogul Donald Trump repeatedly blasted Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-South Carolina) on Sunday after reports emerged that the influential congressman is set to endorse Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Florida) for president.

Trump, the Republican front-runner, pointed to Gowdy's high-profile October hearing on the 2012 attack in Benghazi, Libya, that left four Americans dead.

"His hearings were a disaster. Everybody was looking forward to something that was going to be really productive. And he didn't win with those hearings. It was a total not-good for Republicans and for the country," Trump said Sunday morning on "Fox & Friends."

Gowdy chairs the House Republican-led Select Committee on Benghazi, which grilled former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on the attack for 11 hours, much of which was broadcast live on cable news. That day was widely regarded as a political win for Clinton, the Democratic front-runner, though some critics chastised that media narrative.

But Trump was clearly unhappy with how Gowdy managed that hearing.

"I mean, beyond Republicans it was very bad for the country," he said. "So I hope he does a lot better for Marco than he did for the Benghazi hearings. Because they were not good. That was not a pretty picture."

read more:

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-trey-gowdy-marco-rubio-...

Views: 848

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

TREY GOWDY’S NUMEROUS INCONSISTENCIES

ON LEAKING INFORMATION

Gowdy: “Serious investigations do not leak information.” “So while tremendous progress has been made, both in the quantity and quality of transcribed interviews, those interviews must remain private until such time as a final report has been written in fairness to both the conduct of a proper investigation and to all relevant parties. I have made this a fundamental principle for the Committee and its staff because serious investigations do not leak information or make selective releases of information without full and proper context.” [Gowdy’s “Interim Progress Update,” 5/8/15]

Gowdy leaked news of Blumenthal subpoena before it was served.  “These latest moves by the Benghazi Committee—issuing  a subpoena without first contacting the witness, leaking news of the subpoena before it was served, and not holding any Committee debate or vote—are straight out the partisan playbook of discredited Republican investigations.” [“Cummings Statement on Leaked Plan to Issue Unilateral Subpoena,” 5/18/15]

In March, GOP leaked information about a subpoena before informing Democratic Members. “Issuing this subpoena unilaterally with no deliberation by Committee Members, leaking information about the subpoena before informing Democratic Members, and providing inaccurate information at a press conference all contribute to a perception that this Committee is now targeting Secretary Clinton for political reasons rather than to clarify any remaining facts relating to the attacks in Benghazi.” [Letter to Chairman Gowdy, 3/6/15]

ON CLINTON’S PRIVATE INTERVIEW

Chairman Gowdy argued there was no alternative to a private interview with Secretary Clinton to discuss her emails. “Gowdy, a Republican, says the move is necessary because Clinton declined the committee’s request to turn her personal email server over to the State Department’s Inspector General for review. ‘Because of the Secretary’s unique arrangement with herself as it relates to public records during and after her tenure as Secretary of State, this Committee is left with no alternative but to request Secretary Clinton appear before this Committee for a transcribed interview to better understand decisions the Secretary made relevant to the creation, maintenance, retention, and ultimately deletion of public records,’ he wrote. A transcribed interview, he added, ‘would best protect Secretary Clinton’s privacy, the security of the information queried, and the public’s interest in ensuring this Committee has all information needed to accomplish the task set before it.’” [NBC News, 3/31/15]

In a departure from his previous statement, Chairman Gowdy asked Secretary Clinton to appear at two public hearings to discuss her email and Benghazi. “The House Committee investigating Benghazi is asking Hillary Clinton to appear for two public hearings on the 2012 terrorist attacks and her email use, according to a letter sent to her lawyer on Thursday. This is a departure from what Benghazi Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy originally requested from the former secretary of state. The South Carolina Republican wanted a private, transcribed interview on Clinton’s email use and a public hearing on the terrorist attacks.” [Politico, 4/23/15]

ON CALLING INVESTIGATION A TRIAL

Gowdy referred to the Benghazi committee as “a trial.”  “Trey Gowdy, the South Carolina Republican in charge of the newly formed House select committee on Benghazi, is off to a rough start. The day after he was tapped to lead the committee, Gowdy went on ‘Morning Joe’ and started talking about his forthcoming investigation as if he were taking the Obama White House to court. ‘If an administration is slow-walking document production,’ Gowdy said, ‘I can’t end a trial simply because the defense won’t cooperate.’ Gowdy is a former federal prosecutor (a fact he won’t let you not know), and to observers it looked like he intended to treat the administration as a defendant accused of a criminal act. Asked about his remark on Fox News Sunday yesterday, Gowdy explained to Chris Wallace that he – as a former federal prosecutor – was just speaking in metaphors informed by experience (as a former federal prosecutor).”  [Salon,5/12/14, MSNBC, 5/7/14]

Gowdy: “I spoke in trial metaphors and perhaps I need to get out of that habit.”  “GOWDY: If the administration is slow-walking document production, I can’t end the trial simply because the defense won’t cooperate. (END VIDEO CLIP) WALLACE: Congressman, do you see this investigation as a trial? And do you see the White House as the defense? GOWDY: No, sir, and I would hasten that — first of all, happy Mother’s Day you to and Mr. Becerra. I would also hasten to add that trials are both criminal and civil for 16 years I spoke in trial metaphors and perhaps I need to get out of that habit. What I simply meant is, when you ask me how long something’s going to last, I need to know how cooperative the other side is going to be. So, to the extent that I said any indication to anyone that I view someone as the defense, what I meant by that is if you can tell me how cooperative the other side is going to be, I can give you a better idea of how long something’s going to last.”  [Fox News, 5/11/14]

ON SUBPOENAING WITNESSES

Gowdy called serving a subpoena “a little heavy handed.” Gowdy said “it just seems a little heavy-handed, to slap a subpoena on a former cabinet-level official, regardless of which party. If they are willing to come, then work with them on the date.” [Gowdy interview, WYFF, 4/8/15]

Gowdy subpoenaed Sidney Blumenthal. “Now, as Hillary Rodham Clinton embarks on her second presidential bid, Mr. Blumenthal’s service to the Clintons is again under the spotlight. Representative Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, a Republican who is leading the congressional committee investigating the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, plans to subpoena Mr. Blumenthal, 66, for a private transcribed interview.” [New York Times, 5/19/15]

• Gowdy leaked news of Blumenthal subpoena before it was served. “These latest moves by the Benghazi Committee—issuing  a subpoena without first contacting the witness, leaking news of the subpoena before it was served, and not holding any Committee debate or vote—are straight out the partisan playbook of discredited Republican investigations.” [“Cummings Statement on Leaked Plan to Issue Unilateral Subpoena,” 5/18/15]

The Benghazi Select Committee issued subpoenas for Secretary Clinton’s emails. “Select Committee on Benghazi Communications Director Jamal D. Ware issued the following statement regarding the issuance of a subpoena for former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s emails: ‘The Select Committee on Benghazi today issued subpoenas for all communications of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton related to Libya and to the State Department for other individuals who have information pertinent to the investigation. The Committee also has issued preservation letters to internet firms informing them of their legal obligation to protect all relevant documents.’” [Statement from the Communications Director on Subpoena Issuance, 3/4/15]

The Benghazi Select Committee subpoenaed emails of “close to a dozen” of Sec. Clinton’s aides. “Congress has subpoenaed nearly a dozen State Department workers from Hillary Clinton’s time as secretary of state. Rep. Trey Gowdy revealed emails of ‘close to a dozen’ aides and possibly ‘aides to aides’ have had their emails subpoenaed by the Benghazi Select Committee, as it continues its investigation into the 2012 Benghazi attacks. ‘We sent a subpoena to the State Department for emails from a number of individuals within the State Department, other than Secretary Clinton,’ Gowdy, a South Carolina Republican who chairs the committee, told Reuters in an interview Thursday.” [Washington Examiner, 3/20/15]

ON MONTHLY HEARINGS

Chairman Gowdy pledged to hold “hearings in January, February, and March and until” all questions are answered.“Gowdy, a former prosecutor, maintained a low profile for months, holding only one public hearing in September before Wednesday’s meeting. But the South Carolina Republican outlined a more ambitious agenda for 2015. ‘We are going to keep asking questions,’ Gowdy said. ‘And to that end, we will have hearings in January, in February, and March and until. This committee will be the last best hope for answering the questions surrounding the attacks in Benghazi.’” [Roll Call,12/10/14]

Rep. Cummings: “The Select Committee has not had a hearing in three months.” “The Select Committee has not had a hearing in three months, despite Chairman Gowdy’s assertion in December that there would be hearings in January, February, and March.” [Cummings Statement on One-Year Anniversary of Benghazi Committee: ‘What Have We Accomplished?,’ 5/7/15]

ON FUNDRAISING OFF OF BENGHAZI

Chairman Gowdy: “I have never sought to raise a single penny on the backs of four murdered Americans.” “Appearing on ‘Morning Joe,’ the South Carolina Republican was asked by co-hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski whether he would ask members of the GOP not to ask supporters for campaign cash by appealing to the September 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya. ‘Yes, and I will cite myself as an example,’ Gowdy said. ‘I have never sought to raise a single penny on the backs of four murdered Americans.’ Gowdy, in a similar statement to one he made on Fox News on Tuesday, said the Benghazi investigation should remain above the political fray.” [Politico, 5/7/15]

At a barbecue fundraiser for Rep. Mick Mulvaney, Chairman Gowdy directly addressed Benghazi. “Gowdy addressed the issue of ‘phony scandals,’ in which the government is describing the scandals surrounding the IRS and NSA as fake, or phony. Referring to the scandal surrounding the murders of four American citizens in the Benghazi attacks, Gowdy said this is not the case. ‘It is a scandal,’ he said. ‘But it is not a phony scandal.’ Gowdy said these scandals begin to chip away at the public’s trust in their government. ‘There is nothing phony about (citizens) not trusting the people they put in positions of leadership,’ he said. Gowdy urged readers to hold their representatives accountable.” [Lancaster News,9/1/13]

Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy planned to appear at a Virginia GOP fundraiser titled “Beyond Benghazi.” “Gowdy is scheduled to be the featured guest at a fundraising event March 19 for the Republican Party of Virginia, entitled, ‘Beyond Benghazi,’ featuring a screening and an interview of Gowdy, moderated by Rep. Morgan Griffith. The RPV is charging $75 but for $5,000, a donor can be a co-chair.” [National Review, 3/9/15]

Stop Hillary PAC used Chairman Gowdy’s picture and name to encouraged backers sign a pledge supporting the Select Committee. “Support Trey Gowdy & Continue the Select Committee on Benghazi. I support and uphold the Benghazi Select Committee Chairman, Congressman Trey Gowdy, in his pursuit of the truth and justice for all those involved.” [Stop Hillary PAC advertisement, stophillarypac.org, accessed 4/30/15]

ON COMPLETING THE INVESTIGATION

Gowdy said the Benghazi investigation should be completed by 2015.  “The attack on the compound in Benghazi, which took the life of a United States ambassador, J. Christopher Stevens, has outraged the Republican Party’s most conservative voters. But Mr. Gowdy’s methodical, under-the-radar approach has offered up little for partisans to seize upon, at least for now. He said the investigation should be complete by the end of 2015, ‘assuming cooperation from agencies, witnesses and the administration.’ Mr. Gowdy added, ‘I say ‘should’ because we cannot predict what witnesses will say, what documents may be produced, and whether either will lead to additional lines of appropriate inquiry.’ He added, ‘Just as I did not sign up for nor have any interest in a political investigation, likewise I have no interest in half measures, partial productions or a lack of access to witnesses with relevant information.’”  [New York Times, 9/28/14]

Gowdy’s spokesperson: the Benghazi investigation will stretch into the months just before the 2016 election. “The findings of a Republican-led committee investigating Hillary Clinton’s response to the deadly 2012 attack in Benghazi, Libya, likely will not be released until next year, just months before the 2016 presidential election. Representative Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, chairman of the U.S. House Select Committee on Benghazi, has been emphasizing a desire for the panel to finish investigative work by the end of 2015, including its review of Clinton’s e-mail practices as secretary of state. Now that seems less likely. In a statement on Tuesday to Bloomberg News, committee spokesman Jamal Ware confirmed the delay. ‘Factors beyond the committee’s control, including witness availability, compliance with documents requests, the granting of security clearances and accreditations—all of which are controlled by the Executive branch—could continue to impact the timing of the inquiry’s conclusion,’ Ware wrote.”  [Bloomberg, 4/22/15]

ON HIS POWER TO SEIZE PERSONAL PROPERTY

Gowdy: “I have to have all the documents. If that means sending legal recourse to the secretary herself, that’s exactly what we’re going to do.” “BLITZER: Will you subpoena all those documents from her private e- mail account, assuming the 55,000 pages are not everything? And they might be everything as far as we know. We don’t know, right? GOWDY: Well, we’re going to use every bit of legal recourse at our disposal to make sure — if you look at the resolution that says ‘all policies, all activities, all decisions,’ and the word ‘all’ is a big word. If I’m going to be able to do what my colleague ask me to do, I have to have all the documents. If that means sending legal recourse to the secretary herself, that’s exactly what we’re going to do.” [CNN, 3/4/15]

Gowdy: “There really is no argument that our committee has the subpoena power to seize personal property.” “Ultimately, says Gowdy, he may be able to do nothing more than to report that Clinton might be guilty of ‘spoliation of evidence’ — suggesting, but not asserting, that she destroyed documents unfavorable to her. ‘I am limited under the rules under which our committee was formed. And the rules make it really clear what we have the power to do and what we don’t … There really is no argument that our committee has the subpoena power to seize personal property. It is an open constitutional question as to whether the House as whole has it,’ he says.” [Politico Magazine, 3/12/15]

ON CLINTON’S ROLE

Gowdy: “Secretary Clinton alone created this predicament, but she alone does not get to determine its outcome.” “Without access to Secretary Clinton’s personal server, there is no way for the State Department to know it has acquired all documents that should be made public, and given State’s delay in disclosing the fact Secretary Clinton exclusively used personal email to conduct State business, there is no way to accept State’s or Secretary Clinton’s certification she has turned over all documents that rightfully belong to the American people. That is why I see no choice but for Secretary Clinton to turn her server over to a neutral, detached third-party arbiter who can determine which documents should be public and which should remain private. Secretary Clinton alone created this predicament, but she alone does not get to determine its outcome. These public records at issue are broader than Libya and broader than Benghazi. The Secretary of State has enormous responsibility and jurisdiction and the public, the media and Congress have a legal right to access these public records without impediment.” [Gowdy Statement, 3/10/15]

Gowdy: “She is by no means the central focus of our inquiry.” “‘She really is going to be, I don’t want to say a small part — I don’t know — but she is by no means the central focus of our inquiry. … John Boehner didn’t even mention her name when he asked me to do this. There are a million other things to pursue with respect to Benghazi other than Secretary Clinton.’” [Politico Magazine, 3/12/15]

ON THE SCOPE OF THE COMMITTEE

Politico: Gowdy signaled that he intended to broaden his probe beyond the Benghazi attacks. “Gowdy signaled in his statement that he intended to broaden his probe beyond the Benghazi attacks. ‘Secretary Clinton alone created this predicament, but she alone does not get to determine its outcome. These public records at issue are broader than Libya and broader than Benghazi,’ he said.” [Politico, 3/10/15]

Gowdy said he would be comfortable with a committee other than the Benghazi committee investigating Sec. Clinton’s email use at the State Department. “Gowdy has already suggested that any probe into Clinton’s private email trove might be better left to another committee, such as the House Intelligence panel or Rep. Jason Chaffetz’s Government Oversight committee (on which Gowdy also serves). ‘I would be more than content if the speaker in his judgment concluded that other committees have equities there,’ he says.” [Politico Magazine, 3/12/15]

http://correctrecord.org/trey-gowdy-inconsistent-investigation-beng...

The below stupid statements should have told us all we need to know about Gowdy and what his real intentions were.

"Because of the Secretary’s unique arrangement with herself as it relates to public records during and after her tenure as Secretary of State, this Committee is left with no alternative, "

To that finding regarding public records and HER PERSONAL DECISION TO ALLOW HERSELF TO BREAK THE LAW GOVERNING THE HANDLING OF GOVERNMENT COMMUNICATIONS should have been more tha enough to put forth a charge to the U.S. Attorney Generals Office for prosecution. Even if he felt it would go nowhere.

And then, the statement on the bottom.

but to request Secretary Clinton appear before this Committee for a transcribed interview to better understand decisions the Secretary made relevant to the creation, maintenance, retention, and ultimately deletion of public records,’ he wrote. A transcribed interview,

"he added, ‘would best protect Secretary Clinton’s privacy, the security of the information queried, and the public’s interest in ensuring this Committee has all information needed to accomplish the task set before it.’” [NBC news 3/31/2015

He is saying he is concerned about PROTECTING HER PRIVACY ? Does he think we are stupid ?

That took her off of the hook.

Rubio is establishment more than Jeb.

Trey Gowdy conducted the hearings, into Hillary Clinton's culpability and mishandling of the Benghazi terrorists attacks against the Consulate, Ambassador, and brave military personnel, was nothing short of incompetent. He let Granny lady, Hillary Clinton, hoodwink her way through the hearing, remaining unscathed and making Gowdy look like a stupid RINO, who was in collusion with the Democrats, to save her Presidential candidacy.

Gowdy cannot be trusted. For him to come out and endorse Rubio, a member of the Gang of Eight with a pro amnesty, pro Obama agenda in the Senate, shows the traitor that Gowdy is to the values of Conservative Tea Party Republicans.

The way in which Gowdy sweated during the course of the Benghazi hearing, showed the degree in which he was way over his head in confronting Hillary Clinton. She made Gowdy appear to be the fool and incompetent that he is. His endorsement of Rubio further shows the depth of this man's inability to see the forest for the trees. He is clueless to understand the real issues facing this nation in this election. I am almost certain that Lindsay Graham was a part of this plot to concoct this endorsement. Graham knows that he would be a liability for an endorsement for Rubio in South Carolina. So, he reached out to Gowdy to seal this smelly deal. Gowdy and the RINOS are setting the ground work for Rubio's campaign in South Carolina.

Mr. Trump does not need the endorsement of this stupid lawyer! The RINOS are beginning to put the pieces of the puzzle together to try and defeat our great leader, Donald Trump, and deny him the nomination. It will be interesting to watch their conniving shenanigans, as they try to weave a net to defeat Mr. Trump's candidacy.

This made me so damn mad. News Video: Dec. 23 2015

You Won’t Believe The Latest On What John Kerry Was Caught Telling Iran

http://conservative50.com/you-wont-believe-the-latest-on-what-john-...

I support Cruz for the Presidency as the one with experience who can beat Hillary but have to say that Trump has it right on this one.  I was disgusted when the Benghazi "investigation" apparently fell flat and Hillary went on to run on the DNC ticket as though nothing had happened.  What happened?  Did Gowdy get threatened and/or paid off to back off of the case?  When Bill was in the oval office, a lot of deaths mysteriously happened to people who were not in the best graces of the Clintons so there may be some good cause for concern.  At the same time, Trey Gowdy was talking as though he really meant business when the inquisition first began and why didn't he follow through on issuing subpoenas to the many others who had been at Benghazi during the attack and survived but were then sent into hiding as soon as the dust settled on the case?  Something is rotten in Denmark my mother would have been saying.  How much are he and Trump being paid under the table to hand it to Hillary next year?  Trunp is a businessman who gave millions to boy Clinton while he was in the oval office - maybe now it is payback time since Trump could take the nomination and in so doing throw the election into Hillary's corner, possibly making a fortune off of the political maneuvering in the process.    It just makes a person WONDER!

How much are you being paid?

I see someone ( Elaine Morris) who actually did some research on Natural Born Citizen and did not take some blogger's word for it . I've been telling everyone who are too lazy to do the research themselves to Google Natural Born Citizen for Dummies . The problem is too many people listen to the lame stream liberal media including Fox News who constantly get the definition of NBC wrong every time . Add to that Fox News Bill ( the blow Hard ) O'Reilly thinks news paper clipping from 1961 trumps a LEGAL  US Birth certificate . Relying on the lame stream liberal media for truth has been highly suspect for last sixty years .  

My, my ,my Donald can we replay you announcing he would be your attorney general? But hey he had done nothing with the Benghazi hearings then. Just another reason you aren't qualified to be prez.

Kathi

Trump didn't announce that. If you don't agree please prove what you say with links. Trump would never declare his choice of anyone up to this time. Get your brains on straight. Did you run a lemonade stand?

Kathi, and who would you say is qualified, that might tell us a lot. 

What does your personal HATE for Trump come from?  You don't like him cause he's rich?  You don't like his hair? None of the things you ever say about him has any validity.........so clearly it's a personal animosity.   WHY?  You never provide any sources....  If you've got nothing to back up your comments then STHU

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Tom Stiglich

Political Cartoons by Michael RamirezPolitical Cartoons by Bob Gorrell

ALERT ALERT

YIKES!!! Chelsea Clinton Emphatically States A Person With A Beard And A Penis Can ‘Absolutely’ Identify As A Woman

• The one issue Hillary and Chelsea don’t appear to agree on entirely is transgender self-identification
  • In an interview with The Sunday Times, journalist Decca Aitkenhead asked the Clintons about transgender self-identification
  • Chelsea Clinton replied ‘yes’ emphatically when asked if someone with a beard and penis can ever be a woman
  • ‘It’s going to take a lot more time and effort to understand what it means to be defining yourself differently,’ Hillary said
  • Aitkenhead said Hillary became ‘uneasy’ when the question was asked while Chelsea shot a ‘furious stare’ at the journalist as her mother answered
  • Hillary added: ‘It’s a very big generational discussion, because this is not something I grew up with or ever saw’

(Daily Mail) – It may appear Hillary and Chelsea Clinton always see eye-to-eye, but in a recent interview one topic cracked the facade of the like-minded mother-daughter power duo.

The one issue Hillary and Chelsea don’t appear to agree on entirely is transgender self-identification.

In an interview with The Sunday Times, journalist Decca Aitkenhead asked the Clintons if someone with a beard and a penis can ever be a woman, to which Chelsea replied emphatically, ‘Yes.’

However, as Aitkenhead describes it, Hillary looked ‘uneasy’, and blamed generational gaps for being less accepting.

‘Errr. I’m just learning about this,’ Hillary responded. ‘It’s a very big generational discussion, because this is not something I grew up with or ever saw. It’s going to take a lot more time and effort to understand what it means to be defining yourself differently.’

The Clintons sat sown with Aitkenhead to promote the book they co-authored, The Book of Gutsy Women: Favorite Stories of Courage and Resilience.

The book features Danica Roem, the first trans woman elected to a U.S. state legislature.

According Aitkenhead’s account, she tells Hillary during the interview that many British feminists of Hillary’s generation have a problem with the idea that a ‘lesbian who doesn’t want to sleep with someone who has a penis is transphobic.’

Hillary nods in agreement, while Chelsea ‘stiffens and stares at me’, according to Aitkenhead.

The journalist then adds that many women of Hillary’s generation are uncomfortable with biological males sharing women’s bathrooms.

‘I would say that, absolutely,’ Hillary nods firmly. ‘Absolutely. Yes.’

That’s when Chelsea begins shooting a ‘furious stare’ at Aitkenhead, who points it out to her.

‘I’m a terrible actor’, Chelsea laughs.

Chelsea then says she is thrilled with the National Health Service’s decision to assign patients to single-sex wards according to the gender they identify as, instead of their biological make up.

‘How can you treat someone if you don’t recognize who they feel and know in their core they are?’ Chelsea says.

‘And I strongly support children being able to play on the sports teams that match their own gender identity,’ she adds. ‘I think we need to be doing everything we can to support kids in being whoever they know themselves to be and discovering who they are.’

At this point Hillary looks conflicted.

‘I think you’ve got to be sensitive to how difficult this is,’ Hillary says. ‘There are women who’d say [to a trans woman], ”You know what, you’ve never had the kind of life experiences that I’ve had. So I respect who you are, but don’t tell me you’re the same as me.” I hear that conversation all the time.’

Despite the clear tension in the room, the pair say they don’t argue about this topic.

But according to Aitkenhead, ‘I get the impression they don’t like to present anything less than a united front to the world.’

BONUS VIDEO

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service