Could you give me your opinion on my draft of response to NYT article?

Could you please give me your opinion of this letter to the editor (in response to NYT column)- do I have my facts right?

The Opinion piece "Deadbeat in the Range" by Timothy Egan was written to damage the reputation of Cliven Bundy and the citizens who went to support him when 200 armed government agents from the BLM plus helicopters and snipers stormed the property. The Bundys had grazing rights since the 1870s granted them by the state of Nevada. The government reclassified it as federal property to protect the Desert Tortois in 1993. Bundy had paid the fees to the state, and would have continued, but the state couldn't accept them after the land was reclassified. Bundy did not recognize federal authority, believing the land still belonged to the state. When the BLM agents came to seize the cattle, citizens feared for the safety of the family. A group of unarmed protesters came to support the family. BLM agents tazered 2 protesters and one knocked a 57 year old woman to the ground. They had police dogs on leashes and snipers trained on the protesters. When video , filmed by protesters, of this went viral on the internet, that's when armed militia came to protect the protesters. Egan describes these people as "thugs" and the BLM agents as "public employees who were trying to do their job." As to the "poor Desert Tortois" BLM agents are euthanizing them, saying there are too many. The agents were rounding up and killing some of the cattle. An independent film maker, Lynch, from New York went to check out the situation. He feared for the lives of these people, so he approached the federal agents begging them not to shoot. He asked why only Fox News was there, where was the rest of the media? Good question, because if more media had been there, Americans might learn the whole truth, and have a different opinion than Mr. Egan about this "phony event" .

Views: 1008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have a definite split in this country brought about by government give aways to non contributing people to our Society.  Your letter is pointing out that the media is highly biased and thus resulting in tunnel vision of facts.  It will stop when it is forced too I feel but not until severe actions.

Louise::

Excellent. Clear and concise -- thank you.

Our laws should be written in the same manner.

Oh we have other media besides Fox news?  (On T.V.).  Who are they?  Oh! The ones who like to talk to movie celebs., and liberals.  Forgot about them as I never watch them.  Hope their ratings go so low, they close their doors. They are the ones coming on air screaming and ranting and raving that Fox News lies!  Why?  Because that is how they feeel about it.  All feelings, no facts, had that proved on Hannity tonight.  Can't remember the liberal witch that was on but they were discussing pot in Colorado, and he had a Dr. there with tests that said pot is not good for you when consumed daily.  He offered her the papers, she shoved them back without looking at them with her nose in the air.  (What is it about liberals that they have to have their nose so far in the air)?  Facts are unimportant to them.  Probably because they can't read.

You would think that just the photos of those all suited up armed wannabe Navy seals would make these idiots stop and realize something is very wrong. This is not Nazi Germany. YET

"An independent film maker, Lynch, from New York went to check out the situation."

David Lynch?

Spot on, thank you.

You might add that the theft of this land was preplanned by Reid because of his land deal with the Chinese.   Reid needs to be investigated but who's going to do that?   Holder? HA!!!

Your response brings new information I was not aware of myself.  It seems to cover the true facts that too often seem to go unreported or left out in many liberal news medias.  I would like to ask some questions myself.

Why has it taken 21 years for the feds. (BLM) to push this issue?

Who does the BLM report too?

Is this another rogue act that our out of control govt. agencies seem to be using lately?

Do you really think Harry Reid had no previous knowledge of this pending act of govt. abuse?

Why is the White House not addressing this act of (quote from Harry) "domestic terrorism"?

Why are there still members of congress serving that have criminal records and owe back taxes?

With all the things going on in the country and the world,  I am most disturbed with the fact that I am being lied too, on so many issues.  Am I the only person that feels like I'm treated as just another stupid, tax paying idiot that doesn't matter?  Liberal/Progessive Americans--WAKE UP--Our country is being attacked from the inside out and although you may like it now, wait till you see the flip side. 

Louise, your response is on target. You might also add that it was not only people who were traumatized. The cattle were run at high speed by helicopters in desert heat. Some of the cattle were killed and some were damaged. The cattle are Bundy's livelihood and they are his property, The cattle will eventually be food for people. We live at a time when government is the enemy of all of us and that is no more evident than when action is taken to diminish agriculture production. 

Thanks to everyone on this site who responded to my question and letter! Your comments are helpful, and encouraging. I read the submission policy of the NYT, and their limit is 150 words, or a little more, because of space. I could not get it down to that number, but shortened it where I could, though it is still way over that limit. I kept my comments in my letter as responding to some of the things that were said in Egan's piece. I did send it in, and received an automated reply that they received it. They said if it is published they would let me know. I don't expect it to be, but glad I sent it anyway. Here is my revised copy:

The Opinion piece "Deadbeat in the Range" by Timothy Egan unfairly portrayed Cliven Bundy and citizens who went to support him when armed government agents from the BLM plus helicopters and snipers stormed the property. The Bundys had grazing rights since the 1870s granted them by Nevada. The government reclassified it as federal property to protect the Desert Tortoise in 1993. Bundy paid the fees to the state, and would have paid them to the government, but they required him to sign unreasonable federal terms before he could even pay the grazing fees. These terms drove many ranchers out of business over the past 20 years. Bundy is the last one left. When the BLM agents came to seize the cattle, citizens feared for the safety of the family. A group of unarmed protesters came to support the family. BLM agents tasered Bundy's son, one knocked a 57 year old aunt to the ground. They had police dogs on leashes and snipers trained on protesters. When video of this went viral on the internet, that's when armed militia came to protect the protesters. Egan describes these people as "thugs" and the BLM agents as "public employees who were trying to do their job." As to the "poor Desert Tortoise" BLM agents are euthanizing them, saying there's too many. The agents were rounding up and killing some of the cattle and left orphaned calves to die. An independent film maker, Dennis Michael Lynch, from New York went to see the situation. He feared for the lives of these people, so he approached the federal agents begging them not to shoot. He asked why only Fox News was there, where was the rest of the media? Good question . If more media had been there, Americans might learn the whole truth, and have a different opinion than Mr. Egan about this "phony event" .

I think you might add Harry Reid's scheme to cover the land with chinese solar panels; the american public will be forced to pay for the panels and to buy electricity form the chinese. You have to let people know in stronger terms it's not about saving turtles; it's political corruption, pretending to save the environment.

Thanks Triptolemus for the information!

I already sent it in (it is too long so they probably won't publish it) but maybe I can use this info in another letter to a local paper.

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Jerry Holbert

Political Cartoons by Michael RamirezPolitical Cartoons by AF Branco

ALERT ALERT

1 Billion Dollar Net Worth!!! Oberlin College Claims Poverty To Avoid Paying Punitive Damages To Gibson’s Bakery

Although IRS reports show the university is worth around $1 billion, Oberlin College still claimed poverty to avoid paying punitive damages to Gibson’s Bakery.

As Breitbart News reported this week, the far-left Oberlin College lost a defamation case filed by Gibson’s Bakery after a local jury found the university liable for falsely accusing the family bakery of racism.

The jury ordered Oberlin on Friday to pay Gibson’s $11.2 million in compensatory damages for defamation and intentional interference with a business.

Legal Insurrection reported on Thursday that “the jury awarded a total of $33 million in punitive damages, which will probably be reduced by the court to $22 million because of the state law cap at twice compensatory.”

Legal Insurrection has been following the case for two years — since the beginning — and reports that the school’s only defense against a sizable punitive award is to pretend it is poor, despite holding assets that amount to a billion — with a “b” — dollars and despite paying some of its staffers more than a half-million dollars a year:

Oberlin College was so hellbent on getting the message out that their cash liquidity was in such dire straits — as the eight-person jury was figuring out if they wish to add $22.4 million to the school’s legal verdict bill — that they brought out the school’s president, Carmen Twillie Ambar to the stand to tell that part the story.

“We’ve created deficits … and over the next ten years, if this continues, that is unsustainable and we will not exist,” Ambar told the jury. She even indicated the school’s grants — about $60 million a year from the school, and lots of students get those scholarships as only 10% of them pay the full $70,000 a year — were important to preserve as “the accessibility of education” was a key component of the school’s purpose.

However…

The college has more than $1 billion in funds and net assets according to the latest IRS 990 form, an endowment fund that had grown from $440 million to $887 million in the last 20 years, and because of its non-profit status, pays no taxes on any property it owns.

It also had 18 members of their administration making more than $100,00 a year. The president and chief financial officer of the school were both making more than $500,000 a year.

Grifters gonna grift…

The day after Donald Trump won the presidency, this nutball school apparently decided to take out its impotent woke-rage on this poor bakery, which has been part of the Oberlin community for more than a century.

It all started when three Oberlin students (who would later plead guilty in a plea deal) attempted to steal bottles of wine.

The proprietors caught the students and, while attempting to hold them until police arrived, were allegedly roughed up by the shoplifters. But because the students are black and the proprietors white — and with no respect for due process or facts — Oberlin staffers and students decided some vigilantism was in order and did everything in their considerable power to destroy this local bakery forever, to smite it off the map.

Classes were canceled so hundreds of students could protest in front of the small store while enjoying free food and drink, courtesy of the school. School staffers handed out fliers that basically described the family-owned bakery as the local branch of the KKK.

As a result, the bakery had to lay off almost all of its employees and barely avoided bankruptcy.

In the end, the three shoplifters said race had nothing to do with what happened.

For those of you interested in incurring $200,000 in debt before you even enter the workforce, it looks as though you can major in Mob Justice at Oberlin.

SPECIAL VIDEOS

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service