Chicago Police Superintendent: Concealed Carry Could Lead To More Shootings

During an interview on radio station WVON 1690 am and Newsinblack last week, Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said he was disappointed with the media only pointing out problems with crime and not reporting on solutions. But perhaps the most surprising comments from the city’s top cop came when McCarthy commented on the upcoming concealed carry law that must be passed in Illinois within the next six months after a federal appeals court last month ruled the state’s ban on concealed carry unconstitutional. McCarthy made a bold and scary prediction that citizens carrying legally could be shot by Chicago police as he reiterated his stance against arming legal citizens.

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings,” McCarthy said. “I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”

McCarthy would not say what specific training officers will undertake if any. However, he did admit that in the past his department has made mistakes in shooting unarmed civilians. He believes the concealed carry law will increase those types of unfortunate incidents.

“You say concealed carry I say Trayvon Martin. Police officers make mistakes all the time,” McCarthy said. “We spend six months in the police academy, six months of field training and ongoing training on a regular basis and the fact is once in a while we’re going to shoot someone with a cellphone; we’re going to shoot somebody with a flashlight and none of that is okay. But now you take John Q. Civilian, you give them six weeks or 10 weeks of training and you say ‘have at it?’ The fact is more guns are not the solution to the firearm gun violence problem in this country. Less guns and reasonable gun laws are. And just because it’s 49 states to one doesn’t mean the state of Illinois is wrong on that one.”  

McCarthy’s comments drew immediate and intense criticism from citizens in favor of concealed carry and from people who teach concealed carry courses. Rick Pere, a civilian military contractor and former police officer who lives in downstate Illinois and teaches both the Utah and Florida concealed carry classes, said McCarthy’s comments were full of ignorance and add to the misinformation being given to citizens in Cook County and Chicago. He said McCarthy’s comments come from his position as superintendent, which must coincide with Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

read more:

http://newsinblack.com/news-article/item/965-police-superintendent-...

Views: 958

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Damn !   I don't think there could be much more Killings and Shootings in this Dump !   There's only 24 Hours in a Day !!                                          Semper Fidelis

It's a wonder this guy can breath on his own. What the pinhead, and many others of his ilk, doesn't understand is that with proper background checks only solid citizens will get permits and perhaps protect themselves against the criminals of Chicago who are shooting people and, just maybe, given an even chance some of THEM might survive. The Chicago police under his inept leadership surely can't do it; evidenced by the high murder rate in his despicable city.

And maybe protect themselves from him and his goons.

So "Superintendent" Garry...do you shine your mayor's shoes also?

Idiot.

Fire the idiot superintendent, who does not want to admit that in every case where concealed carry is legal, CRIME IS DOWN. Point him to the case of District of Columbia vs. Heller.  Crimes of murder have gone down precipitously since that ruling, whereas before, D.C. was considered the murder capitol of the nation.  Chicago is an embarrassment!  The idiots, the insane, and the Democrats run the city!  But I repeat myself.

THE MORONS IN WA HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO EXCEPT TO KEEP TAKING FROM DECENT CITIZENS; THE ONES THAT GET HARMED, KILLED AND HURT WHEN EVIL STRIKES!!  WE MUST LOCK AND LOAD AND TAKE IT INTO OUR OWN HANDS-BECAUSE THEY-THE ONES THAT ARE TO SERVE AND PROTECT ARE NOT DOING THEIR JOBS!  POLICE ARE UNDERMANNED, AND WE NEED TO TAKE CARE OF OURSELVE!   SURE THERE WILL BE MORE THAT GET SHOT; THE BAD GUYS WHO ARE TAKEN OUT BY US PROTECTING OURSELVES..SO BE IT!!!   IF THEY DO NOT SHUT UP ABOUT OUR GUNS THEY WILL PUSH A MUCH MORE TERRIBLE TIME IN THE US THAN THERE ALREADY IS....GET RID OF THE RIFF RAFF IN WASHINGTON AND WE CAN BEGIN AGAIN TO BE A GREAT NATION....BUT AS LONG AS EVIL SITS IN WASHINGTON WE ARE IN FOR THE FIGHT OF OUR LIVES...RIGHT WITHIN OUR OWN NATION, MUCH LESS THE ENEMIES OUTSIDE!!!   WE HAVE TRUE IDIOTS FOR OFFICIALS!

Seems to me our government is into population control, so what's to lose? Let's put conceal and open carry to the test.

Then the gangs would have to hide and stay out of the line of fire...

To this Superintendent, from a retired law enforcement officer, you have a very bad attitude and a person with a concealed and carry permit, is one I would trust more than a lot of dirty cops, which you sound like one, as you take a oath to uphold the Constitution and if you don't, please turn in your badge.

You sound like the State Trooper that did my pistol transfer the other day. God bless you for taking your oath to heart.

There was a group years ago who asked a police officer this question?"If a theif broke into their home would it be OK to shoot him"? since at that time the law abidding citizens could go to jail for shooting a theif.He answered "Would you rather be carried by six men or take your chance in court by twelve good and honest law abidding  men" of course most would pick the twelve.

Thanks Dee: Chicago now has some of the toughest gun regulations, look where this has got them. Starting with muslum o as community organizer, Rahm as mayor, now this fool. The crime rate is skyrocking, murder up, assaults, robberies, breakins, car thefts, rape, drug crime of all sorts the list goes. Who is committing this drug gangs, drug cartels from mexico moved in. I ask We The People of America is this what we want for all america, only the bad guys have guns, oh hell no, not for me & my family. Theres no punk that can even take my guns from my cold dead hands, We The People have a Constitution, We have the 2nd Amendment. My kids & grandkids will have their freedoms & liberties as passed down to me. Starting in 1776 or forefathers fought for us, they shed their blood for us, they died for us, I'll do the same for my kids & grandkids. Chicago youre a cesspool, youre a disgrase to America, Chicago you have a dirty filthy city. Clean it up, you fools made your city this way you fix it. Mayor of Chicago, go to hell you pig

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Mike LesterPolitical Cartoons by Gary Varvel

Political Cartoons by Pat Cross

ALERT ALERT

New York's Green Light Law - Allows Illegal Aliens To Get Driver’s Licenses

New York passed a law to allow illegal immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses earlier this year but it was held up by challenges.

Now it is set to take effect this week.

In typical leftist fashion, supporters claim this is going to somehow make New York’s roads safer for everyone.

Could it really be about voting?

FOX News reports:

Illegal immigrants to be able to get driver’s licenses in NY after legal challenge fails.

Illegal immigrants in New York will able to obtain driver’s licenses starting next week after a last-minute legal challenge was dismissed — making it the 13th state to allow the practice, but one that critics say is unconstitutional.

The Green Light Law, signed by Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo earlier this year, allows anyone to apply for a driver’s license regardless of immigration status and does not require a Social Security number.

Illegal immigrants can use a combination of documents that include a valid passport from a foreign country and a valid foreign driver’s license, as long as it has been expired for less than two years.

“After waiting 18 years to have their right to drive restored, thanks to our legislature, New York can now officially join 12 other states in making driver’s licenses legally available to all residents,” New York Immigration Coalition Executive Director Steve Choi said in a statement this week, arguing that it will make roads safer and the economy stronger.

County clerks in New York have concerns and are sounding an alarm.

CBS News in Albany reports:

County clerks concerned by loopholes in Green Light law.

Undocumented immigrants now have the green light to get a driver’s license in New York…but several county clerks in the Capital Region are concerned.

Saratoga County Clerk Craig Hayner said, “We found that everything we were concerned about as far as fraud and all sorts of other things are in that bill, in that regulation and we’re very concerned.”

Hayner tells CBS6’s Lynsey Smith there are a few loopholes in the Green Light Law.

Loopholes, such as a person coming in to get their license and not having to provide their social security number.

“That could lead to criminals coming from other states, coming in and use that as a way to defraud by just simply saying they don’t have a social security number…and that’s a very dangerous loophole,” replied Hayner.

Does anyone believe this is going to make New York safer or that this is really about driving?

Delusional Democrats

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service