Californians could face ‘double taxation’ with state, federal carbon taxes

Michael Bastasch

Last month, environmentalists cheered as California launched a cap-and-trade program, but talks of a federal carbon tax raised concerns about double taxation.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that while the chances of a federal tax on carbon emissions being adopted are still remote, California state officials are worried enough to have started discussing the prospect.

“We are aware that it is a possibility, and we have been considering it as of late,” said California Air Resources Board spokesman Stanley Young. “We want to make sure that California companies continue to transition into the program without any sort of disadvantage.”

“We promote the possibility of the federal government addressing climate change,” he said. “And on our part, we’re prepared to align our program in a way that allows California to move forward.”

One potential solution would be for Congress to exempt California companies that already participate in the state cap-and-trade program from a carbon tax. California officials have also indicated they could tweak their system to harmonize it with the possible federal tax.

“You either have one or the other — you don’t have them both,” said climate economist Jasmin Ansar with the Union of Concerned Scientists, an environmental group. “You’d have the danger of, in effect, double taxation.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/09/californians-could-face-double-ta...

Views: 426

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Screw California they vote for their own demise

If you include all the hidden and sneaky taxes and penalties the Progressives (Commies) will hit the whole country with during Obama's second term, we'll be in the same sinking boat as California.                                                                       SEMPER FI

Yep ! looks like California is still leading the Country ..Right down the tubes ..

FYI not everyone in California voted for him~! MAINLY the freeloaders, and the illegals! Oh and the blacks because he was black. There are SOME of us out here trying to keep our freedoms and values alive thank you very much Dan Galvin!

Amanda...don't take it personally ........but you have to admit California is just about gone ...right ?

It can't get done soon enough for me Dan.

Amanda,  I just moved out of Ca.   My house closes escrow tomarrow.   The cost of a Uhaul to leave Ca.  was 3 times more than if I was moving there.   Does that tell you anything?  There are 2 kinds of people in Ca.   Hi-tech   or    welfare.    Hi-tech is moving out.

Yep they are moving to AZ, NV and other states that have some kind of jobs...

Dan,   I sure agree with you.

I'm from California but your right!!!we are too many dumb voters here,,,,,, I hate it!!!

YEP Dan, I agree SCREW CA. They sure did VOTE for it and it's CROOKED REGIME 

FYI not everyone in California voted for him~! MAINLY the freeloaders, and the illegals! Oh and the blacks because he was black. There are SOME of us out here trying to keep our freedoms and values alive thank you very much Phil Rains!

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Robert Ariail

Political Cartoons by Chip BokThe cartoonist's homepage, pnj.com/opinion

ALERT ALERT

SWEET: Republican Representative Introduces Resolution To Expel Nancy Pelosi From Congress

Louisiana Republican Rep. Ralph Abraham has introduced legislation to expel Speaker Nancy Pelosi from the House of Representatives.

Abraham’s resolution accuses Pelosi of a “vicious crusade” against President Donald Trump.

Above: Rep. Ralph Abraham

“Nancy Pelosi’s vicious crusade against our lawfully-elected President is nothing more than a politically-motivated witch hunt and it must be stopped,” Abraham said in a statement obtained by Fox News. “She has disgraced the people’s House and weaponized the Speaker’s gavel for her party’s political gain.”

“House Democrats spent nearly three years obsessed with election meddling only to dwarf any such efforts with their own deceitful plan to nullify the 2016 election and prevent President Trump from winning in 2020,” the statement continued. “I have introduced a resolution calling for her to be expelled from the House and for the Speaker’s Office to be vacated.”

The text of the resolution, which is most definitely not going to pass the Democrat-controlled House reads: “Resolved, That pursuant to Article 1, Section 5, Clause 2 of the United States Constitution, Representative Nancy Pelosi be, and she hereby is, expelled from the House of Representatives and the Office of the Speaker is declared to be vacant.”

Fox News notes that constitutional clause holds that “Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member.”

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service