California Lawmakers reject John Wayne Day over racism concerns

What a California lawmaker intended as a benign resolution honoring a late, world-renowned movie icon exploded into an emotional debate over decades-old racist comments.

The state Assembly defeated the official ode to John Wayne Thursday after several legislators described statements he made about racial minorities and his support for the anti-communist House Un-American Activities Committee and John Birch Society.

Known as "Duke," a nickname he picked up as a boy in Glendale, California, Wayne grew into the star of movies including "The Alamo," ''The Green Berets" and "True Grit," for which he won an Academy Award, while portraying the gruff, rugged cowboys and brave soldiers who were his stock in trade.

Republican State Assemblyman Matthew Harper of Huntington Beach sought to declare May 26, 2016, as John Wayne Day to mark the day the actor was born.

read more:

http://www.fox5ny.com/entertainment/134455698-story

Views: 360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, what else can you expect from California, land of fruits and nuts and the worst gravy in the world.

JOHN WAYNE! are you kidding me!? Just goes to show how screwed up progressive liberal communism, political correctness and common core really are! Humans, (if you want to call them that) who support this crap, should be treated like a cancer, and cut it out!  This kind of crap will continue, till we tell these scumbags they have 3 alternatives!  America; Love it!   Leave it! or Die!  

JOHN WAYNE! Are you kidding me!!? This just shows how screwed up progressive liberal communism, common core, and political correctness really are! These idiots should be treated like a cancer; cut it out! This will continue unless we stop it! We should give them three alternatives! America; Love it! Leave it! or Die!

The California wackos need to prove it, everybody loves Wayne even 37 years after his death,his movies are popular all over the Middle East,so get over it California, John is an American hero, just like the statues of Generals from the Civil War,it's history and they are dead and can't defend themselves,but all the left wing nuts are trying to tear them down, the statues belong to every American not just the whiners and we all have a right to keep them if we want.it's called freedom!!.

The assholes win again, Vote Trump to save our country.

This is horrid.  Expect it from CA.  They are alone in their feeling on this.

John Wayne worked VERY hard to entertain America.  (Acting is HARD WORK!)  He spoke MANY words both ON screen and OFF.  I see nothing racist or otherwise derogatory in the words that go with the picture.  If YOU do, you're working too hard at it!

It's time to do away with Martin Luther King Day

These filthy animals should be sent to some 3rd world crap hole ---John Wayne was a great American 

I'd like to know what's racist about someone saying they love their country. Aren't we suppose to love and respect our country and our flag that represents it? I don't understand the bent reasoning some people have these days. They think everything that comes out of peoples mouths is racist. They're wearing that word out! I'm really sick of hearing and reading it.

Denegrating worthy patriotic folks who are also caucasian, sure seems a slam-dunk for cultutral marxists, huh? 

no surprise. in californication an illegal alien can kill an American and be protected and a man can use the same showers and rest rooms as high school girls.

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by AF Branco

Political Cartoons by Gary VarvelPolitical Cartoons by Tom Stiglich

ALERT ALERT

Judicial Watch->  Emails Show Dossier-Connected Obama State Dept Officials Set ‘Face-To-Face’ Meeting On ‘Russian Matter’ Shortly Before 2016 Election

Judicial Watch and the Daily Caller News Foundation on Thursday released 84 pages of documents showing Obama’s State Department was central to pushing the ‘Trump-Russia’ hoax shortly before the 2016 election.

The email exchange between then-Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland and Special Coordinator for Libya Jonathan Winer, a very close associate to Christopher Steele, show them discussing a ‘face-to-face’ meeting in New York on a ‘Russian matter’ in September of 2016.

Via Judicial Watch:

Judicial Watch and The Daily Caller News Foundation today released 84 pages of documents, including a September 2016 email exchange between then-Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland and Special Coordinator for Libya Jonathan Winer, a close associate of dossier author Christopher Steele, discussing a “face-to-face” meeting on a “Russian matter.”

(In June 2016 Nuland permitted a meeting between Steele and the FBI’s legal attaché in Rome. Nuland told CBS News that the State Department knew about the Steele dossier by July 2016.)

According to an op-ed Winer wrote for The Washington Post in 2018, also in September 2016, “Steele and I met in Washington and discussed the information now known as the “dossier… I prepared a two-page summary and shared it with Nuland, who indicated that, like me, she felt that the secretary of state needed to be made aware of this material.”

A September 17, 2016, email exchange between Nuland and Winer – that was classified in the interest of national defense or foreign policy – discusses the political situation in Libya, but also brings up a “Russian matter:”

Sent: September 17, 2016 at 12:40:00 PM EDT
To: Nuland, Victoria J
Subject: Re: Libya Update

Would like to discuss this and a Russian matter.

Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2016 1:31 PM
To: Winer, Jonathan
Subject: Re. Libya Update

In ny face to face?

Sent: September 17, 2016 at 1:56:05 PM EDT
To: Nuland, Victoria J
Subject: Re: Libya Update

Yes that was [sic] be good.

Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2016 1:58 PM
To: Winer, Jonathan
Subject: Re. Libya Update

Good. I’ll reach out when im there Sunday. [Redacted]

If Victoria Nuland’s name sounds familiar it’s because she has been on Judicial Watch’s radar for a long time and in many of TGP’s previous reports.

In December 2018, Judicial Watch released documents revealing that Victoria Nuland was involved in the Obama State Department’s urgent gathering of classified Russia investigation information and disseminating it to members of Congress within hours of Donald Trump taking office.

In a related lawsuit, Judicial Watch is suing the State Department communications between Ambassador Nuland and employees of Fusion GPS, as well as top ranking Department of Justice, FBI, and State Department officials.

“The Obama State Department was central to the effort to target President Trump with the Russia smear,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. “These new emails further show that senior Obama State Department advanced the Russiagate hoax just before the 2016 presidential election.”

Tom Fitton   @TomFitton

BREAKING: Obama State Department was central to the effort to target President @RealDonaldTrump with the Russia smear. New emails show how senior Obama State Department advanced the Russiagate hoax just before the 2016 presidential election.

Embedded video

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service