The beleaguered city says a water shutoff is essential to recoup $89m in overdue bills. But the decision has outraged thousands of Detroiters – who have taken matters into their own hands.

When the coast is clear, and the trucks from the contractor shutting off water for the city of Detroit have rolled away, the men with water keys come. 

They offer residents whose supply has just been shut off a tempting deal. For $20, they will use their tools to turn the water main back on immediately, and illegally, sparing the household the agonising days spent without showering, cooking or flushing that have already been endured by at least 16,000 of their neighbours so far this year.

POLL: Should there be a work requirement to collect welfare benefits?

It is only the most desperate action being taken in response to the beleaguered city's aggressive campaign to recoup $89m in overdue water bills by abruptly cutting the supplies of people behind on their payments. Amid growing anger, Detroit officials agreed in court on Monday to a two-week pause, to allow poor customers to come forward and show that they genuinely cannot afford to pay. But then the shutoffs will resume.

“You're going to do what you have to do to get water back on in your home,” said Valerie Blakely, a community organiser and mother of five whose overdue bill stands at more than $1,000. “As far as I'm concerned, what the city is doing is the illegal activity. You're not going to come and put us in a life-or-death situation and not have us act like we are fighting for our own survival.”

Some physically obstruct the contractors. Others leave cars parked over their mains at night. A guide circulating online instructs people how to lock the main back on and seal it in concrete. “If anyone from the city or water department asks what happened: the shutoff is outside your home,” it says. “Who knows what some radical did while you were asleep?”

read more:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/21/detroit-water-shutoff-...

Views: 925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is what happens when the liberals run out of spending other peoples money.

You have to admire the guys that came up with this business model to a degree. They saw a need and they filled it and are profiting from it. Granted, not legally, but it’s a good start. Now if we could just get them to direct their brain power and efforts at more legal endeavors that would say something about them.

Yes, Macon, "this business model," is pure capitalism.  The problem is, morality has been cast out of the concept.  I suppose that's the public school lesson of the day;  destroy God and take whatever you can.  My how times have changed!!!

My calling it a business model was tong in cheek and what they are doing is no more capitalism that what Bernie Madoff did.

My response, Macon, was also "tongue in cheek;" a pure, godless capitalism; just like Bernie Madoff.  What makes capitalism to be called a free-market, is a law and order, moralistic reasoning; which is missing when God is taken out-of-the-mix!!! A Constitutional Republic also relies on the belief of a supreme entity to keep those "earthly" traits from overcoming the system!!!  Much like the current administrations, "gone wild" approach to everything.

Got ya Robert, I didn't take offence to what you said.  For reference, I got attacked by some people here and called a troll because I said something that didn't go along with what the group had decided was truth.  Some of their opinions were asininely simplistic and I think the problem is that they just didn't understand what I was saying.  That and they seemed to be on the right side of political theater.  One even said that Bush gave us the TSA and DHS because of crazy terrorists and that these two departments were a good thing.  It sad what people will buy into if the person who did it to them is perceived to be on their side.  I just didn't expect to see it on a TP site.

As with any conservative site in a free-market, Macon, "WE" will always be invaded by progressive ideology - but it's pretty easy to detect.  Much like mainstream media, they can detect a conservative a mile away; and lock the doors!!!

This is actually a Detroit city counsel meeting.  With thinking like this does anyone not understand their problems?

What makes those people in Detroit think they should be given concessions for their bills when people in other cities have to pay their bills?  What makes them think they're special? Yes, I have to agree with many who have commented about their tax money going for things it shouldn't and it's not right the way our govt. is distributing our money, but the bottom line for now exists it is the way it is. How does one allow their bill to get up to one thousand dollars, like Ms. Blakeley? Is it because she was too stubborn to pay her bill when it was smaller? If this is the case then it's her own fault and I don't feel sorry for her. How is Detroit going to pull itself back up if people take the attitude they just aren't going to pay their bills? It's irresponsible to run up their bills so high it makes them hard to pay and then expect everyone else to bail them out or just let them go without paying. And if they can consort in criminal activity by paying 20.00 to have their water illegally turned back on why can't they put that money towards their past due bill? Everyone has to pay their bills and they shouldn't be exempt. It angers me to see a bunch of low IQ voters expecting everything to be given to them free from the rock headed president we are cursed with. They need to stop belly aching and pay their darned bills, and then in the next elections develop some brains and vote the liberals out that have destroyed their city.

Not paying for anything is what the liberal progressive/communist agenda, Jane, is all about.  I think the most recent progressive craze is to move into a house, pay nothing, and refuse to leave. Our dear leader, as a secular progressive, just wants to bring America to [her] knees.  And by overloading the system with entitlements and refusing to pay for services is the old Cloward and Pivon analogy and methods of destroying free-market enterprise; the bane of communist dictatorships!!!

It seems that Detroit and Chicago are the welfare cities of America and home to majority muslim ilegals!  They are playing the system and making the American CITIZENS pay the tab!  GOD save the USA from this evil and get the children praying again!   Matt. 18:18-20.

Macon....Taking some heat on your various takes on our situation (think you said that)....might need to re-evaluate your "takes" on what is wrong tween our borders today. Have seen several worthwhile opinions, different in dramatic ways from yours.....Zero to do with patriotism...TP or anything else....all about reason that comes with knowing the facts......leave the underlying ideology aside...might just come up with a different "take".....think this is what your are seeing/experiencing....recently....Gday. 

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by AF Branco

Political Cartoons by Lisa BensonPolitical Cartoons by Tom Stiglich

ALERT ALERT

Pay-Back !!! Pedophile Who Assaulted Nearly 200 Kids Stabbed To Death In Prison

A convicted pedophile who abused almost 200 children was stabbed to death in North Yorkshire, England, on Sunday.

Richard Huckle, 33, from Ashford, Kent, was given 22 life sentences in 2016 after he admitted to sexually abusing 71 kids whose ages ranged from six months to 12 years between 2006 and 2014, according to the BBC.

The report said Huckle was attacked with a makeshift knife while inside his cell at the Full Sutton Prison.

At the pedophile’s trial in 2016, investigators said they found over 20,000 indecent photos and videos of his assaults, which were shared with other pedophiles via a site on the dark web called The Love Zone.

Reports said that prior to his arrest, Huckle posed as an English teacher and Christian volunteer worker in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where he groomed impoverished children.

In one of his online posts, Huckle reportedly wrote “Impoverished kids are definitely much easier to seduce than middle-class Western kids.”

Reports said he attempted to make money from his crimes by crowdfunding the release of the photos.

“Huckle also created a 60-page ‘how-to’ guide for other pedophiles seeking to evade being caught, and kept a scorecard and points system regarding the children who were abused — leading investigators to speculate he may have as many as 200 victims,” a Fox News report stated.

At his sentencing in 2016, Judge Peter Rook condemned Huckle for his heinous crimes he said had become routine for the pedophile.

Rook commented:

Your offending behavior became entrenched in your everyday life. Your life revolved around your sexual activities with young children. Your distorted beliefs in respect of children are deep-seated. Your self-delusion knows no bounds. It is also clear that, had you not been arrested, you planned to continue the same lifestyle using the expertise that you were keen to show off to and share with other abusers so as to continue your sexual exploitation of the children of such communities.

Reports said prior to his death, Huckle refused to cooperate with authorities when they tried to unlock a cache of encrypted files he had access to that may contain the names of victims and other pedophiles, according to Fox News.

BONUS VIDEO

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service