100% Student Walkout for Common Core SBAC Test at Seattle High School

school

Not a single 11th grade student showed up to take the SBAC test at Nathan Hale High School this week, a Seattle Public Schools spokesperson confirmed.

The news that 100% of the 11th graders opted out of the test was first reported on an education blog.

State Superintendent Randy Dorn released a statement Friday on the potential “fallout” from students opting out of testing. Dorn said there could be academic and financial consequences for the state of Washington if students don’t take the SBAC.

“No test is perfect. But the Smarter Balanced tests, with their emphasis on real-world skills, are better than any standardized test our state has administered before,” Dorn said in a statement.

He said without the testing results, educators will have a harder time identifying learning gaps in the student population and that results will be less reliable. Dorn also pointed to federal expectations, saying that without a 95% participation rate, the Department of Education could cut funding to schools and label Washington as “high risk.” (Read more from “No Juniors Show up to Take Common Core SBAC Test at Seattle High School” HERE)

Views: 860

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The only way to get rid of the money influence is to get the Federal Government out of Education; close the Dept of Ed., remove their budget from the Fed budget, cut back the tax collected to fund it and leave those funds inside the state where they can spend it on education as they see fit.

Way to go students! Hold your ground and get your parents to support you. Nothing the schools do is for the students it is all about money. I just learned that in the next year or two kindergarten students will go to "Full" time! Why? Because Washington State  School Systems have figured they could save money by not having the busses picking up kids all day. Can you imagine your 5-6 year old getting on the bus at say 8:30 a.m. and not returning until what 3 p.m. ? Sorry but that is way to long for a little one!

(< Guess who actually showed up at Harvard?)

Interesting that the money to launch CC came from the Bill and Linda Gates Foundation based in Washington State. Like earlier "progressives" who decided all kids should go to Harvard, this "progressive thinks all kids should be software designers.

I often speak to a veteran teacher, asking her every time I see her, "How's your CC today?" She said it is testing week. The kids are frustrated, she has to teach to a regimented schedule of specifics - bouncing from Egypt to the Mayans. She is not allowed to see the test scores. I'm told 50% will fail. Re-testing is a major profit center for the promoters.

IMO, much of this came from three elements - 1) Federal government with no competence or constitutional mandate in health, education and welfare; 2) Academia with its evil stepchildren, political correctness and divisive diversity; 3) "progressives" with limited ability to understand both the sanctity of human life and the infinite range of gifts and talents those lives have.

PC has eliminated intelligent discourse. Divisive diversity has divided us into race, gender, ethnicity and sexual urge. Isn't this a sure recipe for the horrors we're facing today? True diversity would recognize those gifts out be drawn out - "educere." Education is not indoctrination, but the drawing out of latent gifts and talents. Race, gender, ethnicity and sexual urge have nothing to do with diversity except some urges are offset by creativity and beauty, others to provide the infinite capabilities that make the world work. The USA is exceptional because our Founders created a constitutional republic where all can pursue happiness and rise above their stations in life as they are gifted.

My wife with over 50 years in education has always maintained that if a teacher has 30 kids in her class, she must be prepared to teach 30 different ways. Some slow or precocious kids will suck up more than one of these methods. Beats feeding them Ridolin! Is it any wonder that a good teacher is completely stymied in her teaching regimen and her relationship with her charges?

Pope Benedict XVI had it right in his encyclical "Caritas in veritate" - Charity in truth - (58.) "The principle of subsidiarity must remain closely linked to the principle of solidarity and vice versa, since the former without the latter gives way to social privatism, while the latter without the former gives way to paternalist social assistance that is demeaning to those in need." Having lost touch with the electorate, one might suspect that our elected officials have failed to consider these basic norms... personal responsibility and e pluribus unum. Only despots rule and educate from the top down.

Attachments:

A correction - Its Melinda Gates. Also my teacher wife didn't like "Divisive diversity has divided."

She made me correct it to: Political Correctness has eliminated intelligent discourse; thus dividing us into race, gender, ethnicity and sexual urge. 

(I still like "sexual urge" over "sexual preference." Far more precise and at the level it occurs. LOL)

Gerald, so do I! Is it ok if I use it?

Good for the Kids, don't take it let them go broke.

Oren, I do like that; makes me feel that you're safe. My twenty-year-old car has no tracking that I know of; I disabled the "alarm" system because it would go haywire for no reason, and it was terribly annoying anyway. Whenever a car alarm goes off in a parking lot, I notice that no one takes notice anymore, so what good are they anyway...

Way to go students.

Why should anyone expect any better in a city that has raised the minimum wage to $15/hour.

He said without the testing results, educators will have a harder time identifying learning gaps in the student population and that results will be less reliable. Dorn also pointed to federal expectations, saying that without a 95% participation rate, the Department of Education could cut funding to schools and label Washington as “high risk.”

State Superintendent Randy Dorn released a statement Friday on the potential “fallout” from students opting out of testing. Dorn said there could be academic and financial consequences for the state of Washington if students don’t take the SBAC.

How would it not be just cat-a-strophic is The Federal Department of Education to CUT Federal [Tax-Payers Money] Fund[s] to Public Schools FOR Students/children to 'OPT=OUT' of the SBAC test

Hang Tough Students - - - Hang Tough                    :)

The PEOPLE are beginning to speak!

LET'S ROLL!

when your parents and adult authoritative figures go crazy/liberals, the wisdom of [their] children will most often grow up to hold more common sense (in protest).  Maybe the stupidity of this leg of the we want total control of you/your assets/your children part of our Clinton x2/Obama/Brown/helpers government currently has in error thought themselves too powerful to not have any backlash and has over-estimated young America. - they've let loose lots of boogeymen to keep the chaos rolling.  Maybe children want their lives back.  Hope so.

The adult lunatic population of Seattle has been growing steadily into total anarchy up the road for all quite soon.  It used to be such a laid back place.  Want it to stay cool.   

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Tom StiglichPolitical Cartoons by AF Branco

Political Cartoons by Gary Varvel

ALERT ALERT

Florida Sheriff — “I Will Not Enforce Assault Weapons Ban, Neither Will Most Sheriffs”

Dennis Lemma, who is the Sheriff in Central Florida’s Seminole County, told a group of 2nd Amendment activists recently that he would not enforce an assault weapons ban that could soon become Florida law if the “Ban Assault Weapons Now” amendment passes in the Sunshine State.

According to News965, the ban has the following specifications.

The amendment proposed in the state legislature would ban possession of assault weapons, which are defined as “semiautomatic rifles and shotguns capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition at once, either in fixed or detachable magazine, or any other ammunition feeding device.”

Lemma, an ardent supporter of the 2nd Amendment and a first term sheriff who is running for re-election, said this about whether or not he would enforce such a law.

“It’s not only that I wouldn’t, the majority of sheriffs across the state would not do it,” Lemma said in the video. It’s up to the sheriffs what they are willing to enforce.”

Trump Holds Rally in Milwaukee, WI 1-14-20

© 2020   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service