Gohmert’s Remarks on Obamacare’s Denial of Right to Religious Beliefs

Washington, Mar 26
Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX-01) released the following statement after oral arguments before Supreme Court regarding Obamacare’s denial of the right to practice the religious beliefs held by family business owners:

“Today is truly a crucial day for religious liberty and whether those rights will remain viable under our Constitution. It is for this reason that I felt compelled to listen to the oral arguments at the Supreme Court building. Clearly, every American should be free to live and work in accordance to their peaceable religious beliefs without having to beg the government to allow them to do so.

Yet, today I was shocked and grieved to hear a Supreme Court Justice, in essence, ask why not just pay the penalty and then you don’t have to violate your religious beliefs. Unbelievable! The power to tax is the power to destroy. If the federal government has the power to force anyone to pay a tax or penalty to observe religious beliefs, then they have the power to make the penalty so high the government can ‘prohibit the free exercise’ of those firmly held religious beliefs –precisely what the Constitution guarantees it cannot do.

I also heard the official representative of the U.S. government, that has indicted and convicted corporations of intentionally committing criminal conduct, basically say that a corporation could not have religious beliefs. If a corporation can form the intent to commit a crime, it can certainly have the intent to observe the religious beliefs of its owners, officers, and directors.

Hobby Lobby has provided its employees fantastic heath insurance including most contraceptives –just not the four that can cause the death of a growing unborn child, though the four were put on a required list by unelected bureaucrats. Sadly, under this administration, religious freedom has been under attack and our rights continue to be removed or penalized day by day. 

Though paying a subjugating monetary fee to practice Christianity or Jewish faith is required under Sharia law, it is supposed to be unconstitutional to do so under our Constitution. Yet, now we must wait to see if the Supreme Court will allow a business to observe the religious beliefs of its owners. It is my prayer that religious liberty will be upheld in the Supreme Court.

http://gohmert.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=374153

# # #

Lawmaker: Supreme Court questions imply government can tax freedom

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Tuesday that he was "staggered" to hear a Supreme Court Justice imply today that companies disagreeing with the ObamaCare mandate to provide contraception to their workers should simply not provide it, and then pay the penalty.

Speaking on the House floor, Gohmert said that line of questioning implies that companies and people can only enjoy their freedoms after paying a tax or fine to the government.

"What is being implied by the question is, if you want to avoid paying to kill a child in the womb, then just pay the tax and we'll allow you to observe your conscience, your firmly held religious beliefs," he said.

"It is staggering that anybody, any Justice on the United States Supreme Court, would have rationalized to the point that could ever even dream of saying, just pay the fine, penalty, tax, and then you don't have to pay for killing children."

Gohmert did not name the Justice who asked the question, but several Justices today asked similar questions.

"Can you imagine if King George had set a decree that said pay a $2,000 penalty or tax, and then you can observe your religious beliefs?" Gohmert asked on the floor.

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), who joined Gohmert on the floor, agreed that this line of questioning indicates that the government can charge people for exercising their freedoms.

"The premise that the Justice is embracing is you don't have a guaranteed right to religious expression and to religious thought," she said.

Views: 575

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is going to take another Revolution to straighten this mess out.

Yes it will take a revelation and it will start before the 2014 elections and finish after the 2016 elections this is the " Revolution " we can not afford to loos.

With this President that self castrated him self with all the lies to the American people lets not forget the " Red Lines in the sand "Thanks to this less then man we have as president our friends do not trust us and our enemies laugh at us. Stop complaining and Do Something  VOTE !!!

I think your right. The whole system of government has gone nuts. Revolution seems to be the only course left for us now.

I see no other way...

The Progressives are taking us backwards 500-1000 years...........................................................!

Justice Sotamayor said this, just pay the tax

My thoughts exactly Steven

I can't believe that making a company give benefits to their employees that are an elective procedure such as an abortion or contraceptives which is totally against the companies religious beliefs. People had best be careful. What if the government says you will give your first born child to the government. What's the difference? Your choice is no longer your choice. It's the governments.
Abortion and contraceptives are elective programs. You choose to do get those. Very few HAVE to have an abortion or HAVE to go on the pill. If it were a life or death procedure I'm sure the company would not hesitate to pay for it. Besides that the employee has a choice whether or not to work for that company. If it were I that owned hobby lobby and it was decided that I will pay for something that I did not believe in. I would close up my business. I'd shut the doors. There I still have my money and there are thousands out of work. Good government decision huh? Whose got the "war on women"? Stupid women. They never know how good they have it do they? 2 percent screwing it up for the other 98 percent.

The unidentified Supreme Court Justice who posed the question 'Why not just pay the penalty ?' is an intellectual Dwarf and one of the most Dangerous people in America.  It is truly appalling as Gohmert indicates.

It's Revolution time,folks.....this time they are screwing up royally.........again.  yes the 2% are making a mess of the  100% that we're supposed to haveHow? By running it..............duhhhh.

Yes it is, nice weather for it.

actually add 14% of blacks and 25% hispanics

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by AF Branco

ALERT ALERT

Joe Biden Vows: Give Taxpayer-Funded Obamacare To All Illegal Aliens In U.S.

Former Vice President and 2020 Democrat presidential primary candidate Joe Biden is vowing to give Obamacare, funded by American taxpayers, to all 11 to 22 million illegal aliens living in the United States.

During an interview with Telemundo’s Jose Diaz-Balart, Biden forgot that Obamacare technically bans illegal aliens from enrolling in healthcare plans — although illegal aliens are still able to obtain subsidized and free healthcare at Americans’ expense — and promised that under his plan, all 11 to 22 million illegal aliens would be able to get Obamacare.

The exchange went as follows:

DIAZ-BALART: When I … NBC moderated that first debate with you, I didn’t … I don’t recall a clear answer, under your plan should … would the 11, 12 million undocumented immigrants that live in the United States, that have been here many for generations, would they have access …

BIDEN: Yes.

DIAZ-BALART: — to health insurance.

BIDEN: Yes, they … if they can buy into the system like everybody else.

DIAZ-BALART: Because you know, in [Obamacare] they can’t.

BIDEN: Yeah. Yeah, I know. Well they can, that’s my point. They continue to be able to do that.

DIAN-BALART: They cannot under the ObamaCare.

BIDEN: Well and that’s my point, they will though. They will be able to buy into … [illegal aliens] would be able to buy in, just like anyone else could.

Biden joins Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), and South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg — among other 2020 Democrats — in committing to forcing American taxpayers to pay for healthcare for illegal aliens who arrive in the U.S.

Already, due to loopholes, American taxpayers are spending nearly $20 billion every year to provide illegal aliens with subsidized healthcare, emergency room visits, and other health services.

Under the 2020 Democrats’ plan to provide taxpayer-funded healthcare to all illegal aliens living in the U.S., Americans would be billed potentially $660 billion every decade just to cover the costs. Other research has found that the plan would cost Americans at least $23 billion every year.

As Breitbart News has reported, experts have said that giving taxpayer-funded healthcare to effectively all foreign nationals who can make it to America’s borders would drive “strong incentives for people with serious health problems to enter the country or remain longer than their visas allow in order to get government-funded care.”

Despite 2020 Democrats’ continued push for taxpayer-funded healthcare for illegal aliens, American voters are overwhelmingly opposed to the plan. The latest Wall Street Journal/NBC News survey revealed that the healthcare-for-illegal-aliens plan is the least popular policy position, with opposition from 62 percent of U.S. voters.

Similarly, a CNN poll from July discovered that 63 percent of likely swing voters oppose providing healthcare to illegal aliens, along with nearly 6-in-10 of all likely U.S. voters and 61 percent of moderates. A Rasmussen Reports survey also found that likely voters, by a majority of 55 percent, oppose giving healthcare to even the most low-income illegal aliens.

Infantilization of Popular Culture

© 2019   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service