Comptroller says she can't pay Illinois lawmakers

Illinois Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka said Thursday that she has no choice but to withhold lawmakers' paychecks, citing a precedent-setting court case that bars her from paying state employees without a budget appropriation or court order.

Gov. Pat Quinn cut $13.8 million for legislators' paychecks from a budget bill earlier this month, saying it wouldn't be restored until lawmakers addressed the state's $97 billion pension shortfall. He also suspended his own pay.

"It is my deep hope that this matter is resolved expeditiously," either by a court or by lawmakers agreeing on a solution to the pension crisis, said Topinka, who undertook a legal review to determine if Quinn's actions were constitutional. The Riverside Republican said Thursday that Attorney General Lisa Madigan's office advised her of the case that appears to bar her from acting

She called Quinn's actions a "serious precedent that is being created," and said the stalemate was "no way to run government."

read more:

http://news.yahoo.com/comptroller-says-she-cant-pay-185121072.html

Views: 2017

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not pay the police.  Really?  I guess they didn't meet their quotas.  Not enough tough bulling law enforcers.

I know this has nothing to do with the incredibly high arrest quotas being set for officers. but really, requiring them to meet quotas set so high they have to arrest people doing nothing wrong and then make up charges and make them stick to earn their pay.  I guess its one way to disarm americans.  Anyone with an arrest record can be barred from getting a gun permit.  So, innocent people arrested and charged for minor violations, soldiers coming home from war and being arrested and incarcerated in mental facilities and all for gun control.  We can't have someone who actually knows how to handle a gun allowed to own one.  Now we see Obamas reining glory coming to fruition.  So far he has been spot on wrong.  Detroit was not saved.  The economy is not improving unless you fudge the numbers and tell only half truths.  Racial violence is only active when you spend taxpayers money to keep it stirred up.  Zimmerman is the whip and poor little Trayvon who was on drugs and paranoid and was the son Obama would have had or himself in his drug using earlier years, must be re-prosecuted for a crime for which he was judged not guilty.  But Obama never sees the law.  Its only a means to an end to protect himself and to beat others who disagree with him.

Sorry Illinois this is all part of the plan.   I guess the police will have to apply for food stamps and welfare.

well I guarantee you a couple of months without pay and these state Employees will come up with a way to balance a budget,,,,we have to stop this somewhere,,,,maybe other states will follow suit,,,and then force the federal government to do like wise,,,,,we can't continue to live under this spendthrift administration,,,it has to stop before it hits bottom

This would bring a quick end to entitlement issues.  Politicians are the least entitled.  Listen up Detroit, California, etc.  

Like Detroit he problem is the excessive Pension costs. Many States are in trouble because of these Union employees pensions that have been authorized by many previous administrations. They need to get rid of the unions and employees go on Social Security. Why are we paying for these people to get such great retirements while we get a pittance and can't put more aside because we have to pay for theirs. It need to end. They work for us. 

"no way to run government."......you know the type of
government that runs Washington whereby you simply write bad checks and make
promises to pensioners where there is no way in %$** you can meet the
obligations.

SO.... WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

at one time State and federal Goverment civil servants where only payed for time spent in house and that was only a couple times a year and they didn't get retirment pacages or benifets,we need to go back to that system. we would have less problems .

Good for Pat Quinn.

Perfect we should expand this to our federal government

Watch how fast they get in line for a bailout. 

I Think This is Hilarious,,,,Does This mean Rahm Emanuel,,,and dick durbin wont get paid?????I guess that's one way to get your attention and make you do your job,,,,cut everyones pay until they address the budget,,,,,These people have ignored their state into the situation it is currently in,,,,Right Now I don't really know if this is good or bad,,,but you have to admit its freaking hilarious,,,with holding their pay until they address the problems,,,,,,is priceless

THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING TO EARN EVEN A DOLLAR LET ALONE THEIR BLOATED PAYCHECKS FOR RUNNING THE STATE INTO THE DUMPER. GEE, ISN'T THAT THE HOME STATE OF OBAMA ? I SMELL A BAILOUT COMING. SOMETHING ELSE ABOUT THAT STATE, THAT IS ALSO WHERE CHICAGO IS, YOU KNOW THE KILLING CAPITOL OF THE UNITED STATES IS.

RSS

LIGHTER SIDE

Political Cartoons by Robert Ariail

Political Cartoons by Tom Stiglich

ALERT ALERT

President Trump Threatens To Close Southern Border 

President Trump issued a blunt warning to Mexico and other Central American nations over their failure to stop illegal migrants and criminal cartels targeting the U.S. southern border, saying he would send the military and shut down the southern border. Trump made his threat in tweet storm Thursday morning in which he said the newly negotiated trade deal with Mexico would take second place to border security.

Over 4,000 migrants are now reported to be in the caravan headed to the U.S.

A horde of thousands migrants from Honduras and other Central American countries on an organized to the U.S. are approaching the Mexican border. Mexico is reportedly sending federal police to stop them.

Over 16,000 illegal alien migrant family units were arrested at the southern border in September.

“I am watching the Democrat Party led (because they want Open Borders and existing weak laws) assault on our country by Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, whose leaders are doing little to stop this large flow of people, INCLUDING MANY CRIMINALS, from entering Mexico to U.S…..

….In addition to stopping all payments to these countries, which seem to have almost no control over their population, I must, in the strongest of terms, ask Mexico to stop this onslaught – and if unable to do so I will call up the U.S. Military and CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!..

….The assault on our country at our Southern Border, including the Criminal elements and DRUGS pouring in, is far more important to me, as President, than Trade or the USMCA. Hopefully Mexico will stop this onslaught at their Northern Border. All Democrats fault for weak laws!”

Donald J. Trump   realDonaldTrump

I am watching the Democrat Party led (because they want Open Borders and existing weak laws) assault on our country by Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, whose leaders are doing little to stop this large flow of people, INCLUDING MANY CRIMINALS, from entering Mexico to U.S.....

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

....In addition to stopping all payments to these countries, which seem to have almost no control over their population, I must, in the strongest of terms, ask Mexico to stop this onslaught - and if unable to do so I will call up the U.S. Military and CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!..

Donald J. Trump  realDonaldTrump

....The assault on our country at our Southern Border, including the Criminal elements and DRUGS pouring in, is far more important to me, as President, than Trade or the USMCA. Hopefully Mexico will stop this onslaught at their Northern Border. All Democrats fault for weak laws!

© 2018   Created by Steve - Ning Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service